• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Product to help ward off dehydration

AKsuited

While I haven't done any epic road trips this season due to COVID-19 concerns, I have had trouble in the past with dehydration, like on the trip to Salt Lake City for that rally and at the Des Moines rally. I have had a kidney stone which may have been a result of dehydration on a bike trip. I also had atrial fibrillation problems at several BMW rallies likely from dehydration. Anyway, I came across this product which looks promising in helping ward off or in dealing with dehydration: https://pedialyte.com/products/advanced-care-plus-powder-packs/strawberry-freeze

I skipped the rally in Tennessee in favor of getting an atrial-fibrillation ablation procedure which appears to have been successful, but I will also put more effort into avoiding dehydration on bike trips. I do have the Garauld mounting system for a half gallon Coleman cooler with drinking tube for the water part of the issue but from now on I intend to carry the Pedialyte powder product for the electrolyte part of the solution.

Small packets of powder look very easy to carry and are convenient: add to a bottle of water.

Harry

I rarely use electrolyte additives but I do carry some on the bike, I think the brand is Nuun but I could be wrong. I try to always have a hydration pack of some sort. My adventure jacket takes a 3 litre bladder in the back pocket and when I'm out on my street bikes my tank bag has a bladder. I find the tank back bladder super convenient. You can see it sticking out in this pic.

IMG_3319_heic-L.jpg

Hydration/dehydration and restoring electrolytes are related but not the same thing.

I only know Pedialyte as a pediatric remedy for severe dehydration caused by extended bouts of vomiting and/or lack of eating/drinking due to illness.

For more routine hydration when not otherwise ill, and to restore electrolytes lost from extreme perspiration from high heat or rigorous physical exercise, I would suggest same as Skibum and use the Nuun tablets. They are very compact to carry, and just get added to your water source.

I use them for longer bicycle rides in summer heat, although I break them in half for a much lower concentration. Typically I will carry two 24 oz bottles, one straight water and one with a 1/2 Nuun tablet. I am a seriously profuse sweater when exercising vigorously and this concentration works well enough for me.

Avoid the tablets/flavors that have added caffeine.

I rarely use electrolyte additives but I do carry some on the bike, I think the brand is Nuun but I could be wrong. I try to always have a hydration pack of some sort. My adventure jacket takes a 3 litre bladder in the back pocket and when I'm out on my street bikes my tank bag has a bladder. I find the tank back bladder super convenient. You can see it sticking out in this pic.

IMG_3319_heic-L.jpg

I found the Nuun website and will have a look at their products: https://nuunlife.com/

Thanks,

Harry

I found the Nuun website and will have a look at their products: https://nuunlife.com/

Thanks,

Harry

Don't buy a lot of it till you try it. It is not very good compared to Gatoraid. The Komen 3 Day Breast Cancer Walk had Nuun as a sponsor and that's all they used for electrolytes. At least here in Atlanta the walkers and crew wouldn't drink it. Also the color of the product doesn't match the taste so it messes with you brain.

IMG_3319_heic-L.jpg

What do you use to hold the bladder and control the hose end? I want to try a tank bag solution, but don't want a hose flopping everywhere.

If I were home and close to my bike I could take a pic for you. The bladder loads from the bottom on this tank bag and it's the lowest pocketclosect to the tank. the hose comes out a zippered slot on the right and wraps around the top to a clip on the left. there is a squeeze clip on the end of the hose and I clip it to a little pocket on the front of the tank bag. This particular bag has had some updates and a new name. On the new bag the bladder no loads from the top instead of the bottom which they say works a little easier. I'll be home in a couple of weeks if you want me to take a pic for you, you'll have to remind me.

As for Nuun I found the tablets super easy to deal with and the flavour was fine for me and I liked that it was a pretty mild level.

I would not advise using Gatorade for hydration on a motorcycle.

Gatorade is a heavily sweetened energy drink, with electrolytes added. It's much like drinking a soda with added electrolytes. Even folks engaging in heavy exertion don't normally need all that sugar energy. I will only use it in maybe one of three water bottles, watered down about 50/50, if I'm going on a particularly arduous bicycle ride - - something very hilly and especially long (say 75+ miles or so.)

Sitting on a motorcycle is a sedentary/lethargic activity that does not require all those calories. Nuun is a very good option for replenishing electrolytes lost from perspiration/evaporation in high temps, without simultaneously chugging hundreds of calories. But taste is a personal matter, so certainly look at other options. There are many similar products out there.

Gatorade is a heavily sweetened energy drink, with electrolytes added. It's much like drinking a soda with added electrolytes. Even folks engaging in heavy exertion don't normally need all that sugar energy. I will only use it in maybe one of three water bottles, watered down about 50/50, if I'm going on a particularly arduous bicycle ride - - something very hilly and especially long (say 75+ miles or so.)

Sitting on a motorcycle is a sedentary/lethargic activity that does not require all those calories. Nuun is a very good option for replenishing electrolytes lost from perspiration/evaporation in high temps, without simultaneously chugging hundreds of calories. But taste is a personal matter, so certainly look at other options. There are many similar products out there.

I use a produce call Propel. It is an electrolyte water beverage it comes in 18 and 24 OZ. and which is good for traveling a powder form. Sometimes it is a little bit hard to find. My 2cents worth.

On a long hot bicycle rides the regular Gatorade with sugar bothers my stomach.

Staying hydrated starts in the AM before you go out and about and caffeinated drinks are actually the worst for you to start the day with, unless you drink a few glasses of water along with your morning brew..
If you are really thirsty ( a sign of being de-hydrated btw ) Pedialyte is a very good product to get your body back in balance.

I ran a charter business in Florida for many years and usually drank water, Gatorade, V8 or pickle juice but almost never any sodas.
Some of my clientele, who didn't listen to any advise in regards to sun protection or drinks to bring, often had to be brought back to the dock due to overheating and dehydration.
One of them actually fell overboard and had to be rescued by your's truly...:banghead

Everyone has to figure out what works best for them, but in general sodas, caffeine and booze aren't the best choices for staying hydrated.. YMMV

Staying hydrated starts in the AM before you go out and about and caffeinated drinks are actually the worst for you to start the day with, unless you drink a few glasses of water along with your morning brew..
If you are really thirsty ( a sign of being de-hydrated btw ) Pedialyte is a very good product to get your body back in balance.

I ran a charter business in Florida for many years and usually drank water, Gatorade, V8 or pickle juice but almost never any sodas.
Some of my clientele, who didn't listen to any advise in regards to sun protection or drinks to bring, often had to be brought back to the dock due to overheating and dehydration.
One of them actually fell overboard and had to be rescued by your's truly...:banghead

Everyone has to figure out what works best for them, but in general sodas, caffeine and booze aren't the best choices for staying hydrated.. YMMV

Actually, staying hydrated starts the day before. What you're drinking today is what your body will rely on to stay hydrated tomorrow. What you drink tomorrow will help replenish, but if you don't completely hydrate the day before, your body won't be able to absorb hydration quickly enough to keep from becoming dehydrated.

Poweraid, SAR recommends it over gatoraid for the last 8 years.

First time on rescue with the poweraid, I was 5-6 miles into a search in 110F heat of the summer. A little too long before taking a break and I was feeling pretty bad. Sat and drank a bottle of Poweraid, and in 15 minutes felt like I was just starting off on the search.

Probably why SAR recommends it, it works

We are fearfully and wonderfully designed to hydrate on plain old H20 in the right quantities at the right time. A few hundred million years of experience is powerful testimony.

I've done 8 IBA rides including a Bun Burner 1500 and a 50 CC in temperatures to 107F. A body protected from wind blast that is cooled by evaporative cooling needs nothing more than water taken in moderate amounts every 15 minutes. Figure out what works for you on your bike in order to have that water available for as long as the ride lasts - from a few hours to a full day after day after day.

We are fearfully and wonderfully designed to hydrate on plain old H20 in the right quantities at the right time. A few hundred million years of experience is powerful testimony.

I've done 8 IBA rides including a Bun Burner 1500 and a 50 CC in temperatures to 107F. A body protected from wind blast that is cooled by evaporative cooling needs nothing more than water taken in moderate amounts every 15 minutes. Figure out what works for you on your bike in order to have that water available for as long as the ride lasts - from a few hours to a full day after day after day.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...rated-more-than-just-drinking-water/31220705/

"Electrolytes are minerals contained in your blood and other bodily fluids that affect the amount of water your body retains. Some of the more common electrolytes are calcium, magnesium, potassium and sodium. When there is an imbalance of these minerals, dehydration sets in and all sorts of complications can occur: blackouts, stroke, kidney failure and muscle malfunctions. It can even lead to death.

That’s why staying hydrated may mean more than drinking plenty of water. The rule of thumb for fluid intake is to drink eight, eight-ounce glasses per day. It’s an inexact measure because it depends on weight and exertion, as well as weather conditions. (Note that all fluids count toward the total, which adds up to about two liters of water per day.)

Water doesn’t contain the electrolytes we need if we experience mineral imbalances. Sports drinks such as Gatorade can correct things because they contain many of the electrolytes your body needs."

I concur based on numerous SAR missions into the Az. mountains when it's 100+F. Water just won't be enough to rehydrate properly. NASAR agrees, water alone isn't enough.

I’m also a believer that water is not enough under extreme conditions. It doesn’t mean one can’t get by with just water, especially if one hasn’t been heat “stressed” in the recent past.
It’s good to be careful as when the body gets fouled up in the heat, cognitive ability starts to creep in.
OM

You'd think people would notice that folks been not only living but thriving in extreme conditions before now.

You'd think people would notice that folks been not only living but thriving in extreme conditions before now.

Living - - yes. Thriving - - debatable. It wasn’t until relatively recently that humans have enjoyed much longer lifespans. Medical and nutritional advancements have played a big part in that.

Back