• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Coil removal tool for the F800GS

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
I'm going to do a bit of maintenance on the F800GS. While looks through the Haynes book for the spark plug ID, I saw this-

newtool1.jpg

Never used one but it seemed like it was important. What's the scoop from those that have used one or worked around one. Picture is from the Marc Parnes site. Seem like they are readily available .
TIA.
OM

I used two screwdrivers on my R1200RT. The coils slid out easily so it was not much of an issue. If they were stuck I would have given up easily bought the tool.

Checking some info on the web, it looks like the “best” part of this spark plug replacement is that I can do it standing up :hungover
OM

Checking some info on the web, it looks like the “best” part of this spark plug replacement is that I can do it standing up :hungover
OM

I don't think it's too bad on the F800GS, just a number of things that need to be removed to get there... I have a whole bunch of pictures (which I will eventually turn into a step by step guide after November 1st) so PM me if needed!

Like many of you - One thing that I've done is to use several colors of paint markers to mark connections and zip tie locations. I also take step-by-step notes with the correct size fastener and torque requirements. Then, I can breeze through it when I do it again...

I don't think it's too bad on the F800GS, just a number of things that need to be removed to get there... I have a whole bunch of pictures (which I will eventually turn into a step by step guide after November 1st) so PM me if needed!

Like many of you - One thing that I've done is to use several colors of paint markers to mark connections and zip tie locations. I also take step-by-step notes with the correct size fastener and torque requirements. Then, I can breeze through it when I do it again...

Wow, that would be great to see. :thumb

Question: How often do coils/plugs get replaced with these F800 engines?

I'm still less than 3K miles on my engine, so don't expect to need it any time soon. But I hope to keep this bike for along time so eventually...

Which also brings up another question, one I was going to start a separate thread on. But Omega Man mentioned his Haynes manual, so I will ask here: Who offers the best shop maintenance manual for the F700GS, preferably in hard copy (not CD rom, etc)?

Sorry for the hijack, OM.

Thanks, appreciate the offer.
ALSO- if you need to work on a DIY, let myself or one of the other Administrators know and we can give you access to what we call “Posting Development”. It’s a place where threads like DIY’s can be constructed/organized so they get be “polished” up.
DIY’s are always a great asset. TIA.
OM

I'm still less than 3K miles on my engine, so don't expect to need it any time soon. But I hope to keep this bike for along time so eventually...

Which also brings up another question, one I was going to start a separate thread on. But Omega Man mentioned his Haynes manual, so I will ask here: Who offers the best shop maintenance manual for the F700GS, preferably in hard copy (not CD rom, etc)?

I recently had a problem with my ATV which turned out to be spark plugs. At about 1900 miles I wouldn’t have thought/never would have guessed to be the problem. The ATV has a Rotax engine as well as the same spark plugs.
I had to take the ATV to the dealer, suspecting some sort of code. They said that the plugs were fouled and apparently I’m not up on the new meaning of fouled.
Anyway, the idle is a bit off on the F800GS and due to the bikes age, I’m curious what new plugs will due....kinda a red-neck experiment.
Had someone suggested to check the plugs on the ATV, I thought they looked fine- just a bit dirty. Not my memory of fouled plugs. They did ohm out different and I will compare to the new ones- for my own knowledge.
I suspect, more that fouled, a plug had gone bad. :dunno
OM

Plugs get replaced every 24k miles (40k km).

Here's the full list of all maintenance that BMW recommends: https://www.ascycles.com/bmw_motorcycle_service_and_maintenance_schedules

For the F700 - I think you either have Haynes or the BMW Rep Rom (DVD based) - I found that the Reprom works best for me, but I already had it. I did buy the Haynes, but haven't really used it.

Plugs get replaced every 24k miles (40k km).

Here's the full list of all maintenance that BMW recommends: https://www.ascycles.com/bmw_motorcycle_service_and_maintenance_schedules

For the F700 - I think you either have Haynes or the BMW Rep Rom (DVD based) - I found that the Reprom works best for me, but I already had it. I did buy the Haynes, but haven't really used it.

Okay, thanks. I will probably order the Haynes then. I prefer to work with hard copy rather than on a screen.

Oddly, at the AS Cycles website I didn't see any maintenance info for the F700GS. I'm sure much of it is the same for the F650GS (twin) and F800GS. But I was preferably looking for info tailored to the F700GS.

Sorry - I got confused with the "for these F800 engines"

I looked on the BMW Rep rom - every maintenance interval (oil change, air filter, spark plugs, valves, brake fluid, coolant) is the the same between the F650/F700/F800.

Fork oil and spoke tension are the couple things that I noticed quick that were different. I assume that's because they think you'll use the F800GS off road more than the F700 (and the F800 has spoked wheels).

https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BMW-F650-GS-F-700-GS-and-F-800-GS/Maintenance-interval-service/

Well, did the plugs today and it was working in the “well”. A 6” extension to the spark plug socket really wasn’t long enough. :hungover
Very dirty under all that plastic. Mainly condensation that picked up dust and pollen. I did find 2 molded rubber lines had gone bad. The went from the throttle body to the air box. Of course could not get them today so I got some line and looped it to opposite sides to spread out the bends.
No spare parts but kinda a PITA to do. Important to have that coil puller tool and a thin-wall socket.
OM

The tool is also good for re-installing the ignition coil stick / spark plug wire - keep it straight, push it on down (with a little bit of dielectric grease on the inside rubber) and you get a satisfying pop when it's seated.

Last edited:
The tool is also good for re-installing the ignition coil stick / spark plug wire - keep it straight, push it on down (with a little bit of dielectric grease on the inside rubber) and you get a satisfying pop when it's seated.

Yeah, I did use a dab or two of dielectric grease on the install. Having never been off, i went easy.
OM

If you are in this deep, keep an eye out for a couple of short- moulded hoses that may be in need of replacement. The hoses were called “idle actuator” hoses. I did a work-around and since ordered the set from MAX. The bike would just shut off at idle but would instantly restart after the work. I have a thought that the bike is relearning the setting as it has improved with each ride.
I will have the new hoses for the next time I'm in deep on the bike.
OM

Here is one of the hoses. The bolt helps show the cracking. There are two hoses, a left and a right. All four ends were cracked. They help control the idle- some way.
Some jobs I classify by the number of tools needed, some by the number of fasteners.
This one was 26 fasteners and 3 tie-wraps. If your bike has some age and you will be lifting out the air box/snorkels, probably need to have these on hand.
OM

Attachments

• 3463B91C-F44E-4454-84F9-17011FD7807B.jpg
    3463B91C-F44E-4454-84F9-17011FD7807B.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 26
Back