• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

After-market screen upgrade for 2013 F700?

pmariana

Hi all,

my wife has a 2013 F700 GS and we would like to make some sort of change in the screen (or just add something) to bring some better readout capability to the bike, perhaps something closer to the 6.5" screen that my 2019 R1250 GSA has . . .

of course, the screen is just the readout for a bunch of sensors and a processor, so without the primary monitoring systems, there's no screen to add anyway, but does anyone know of any aftermarket screen additions that one could consider?

something that would replace the stock F700 clock and partial LCD thing?

part of what my wife wants to gain is the BT linkability too . . .

or maybe best to just sell the 2013 F700 and buy something more recent? maybe that's best?

cheers, interested in people's experiences, and thoughts,

Peter

I have the feeling the only option is buy a newer bike with a TFT screen like your GSA has.

I recently purchased a 2013 F700GS. I really love the analog tach and speedo, supplemented by multi-function display.

My previous bike (a 2016) had a speedometer, odometer, trip meter, a single green neutral light, a single blue light to indicate high beams, and a single orange turn signal indicator light. That’s it.

Coming from the previous bike, the F700GS though older seems futuristic. It has far more info available on the display than I will ever need/use. I pretty much leave it with trip meter, air temp, coolant temp, fuel level, and time of day on the MFD. It can display lots of other info too, such as tire pressure, tank mpg, overall mpg, distance since reserve light, riding mode, etc etc.

However, my bike has the “on board computer” option. Every F700GS I looked at had this option, but it’s still an option so perhaps your wife’s bike doesn’t have this feature?

What functionality is she specifically trying to achieve? BT??

HI vark,

yes, it is very attractive I think, I've always liked analogue clocks (as my Brit Dad would have said) but she is wanting the facility of direct readouts of tire pressure, at least some of the typical trip data (fuel econ., dist to empty, etc.) but then you have to have the sensors and management circuitry too, so that's a major change, (I'm used to my GSA boxer of 2019, the 6.5" TFT is nice for sure, but very modern neutral sort of psychology)

referring to the "on-board computer" option, maybe we need to look into that, I can't comment on what the bike's got there, :scratch

think she'd value an 800 engine too, so . . . perhaps a more recent used model would be the best change overall

cheers!

HI vark,

yes, it is very attractive I think, I've always liked analogue clocks (as my Brit Dad would have said) but she is wanting the facility of direct readouts of tire pressure, at least some of the typical trip data (fuel econ., dist to empty, etc.) but then you have to have the sensors and management circuitry too, so that's a major change, (I'm used to my GSA boxer of 2019, the 6.5" TFT is nice for sure, but very modern neutral sort of psychology)

referring to the "on-board computer" option, maybe we need to look into that, I can't comment on what the bike's got there, :scratch

think she'd value an 800 engine too, so . . . perhaps a more recent used model would be the best change overall

cheers!

Hi Peter,

If she has the computer option, she can display the tire pressure and various trip data on the screen. If hers is a very rare F700GS without the computer option, I’m not sure if there is a path to upgrade it.

As for the 800cc engine - - fortunately she already has one in her F700GS. :thumb

Back