• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1990 K75s Brake pads

smithrjd

Does anyone know how thick new pads are? EBC shows 9mm, but I am guessing that is the total thickness not just the brake pad itself. Mine are about 3mm, BMW says to replace them at 1.5mm. wondering how worn my pads are.

Does anyone know how thick new pads are? EBC shows 9mm, but I am guessing that is the total thickness not just the brake pad itself. Mine are about 3mm, BMW says to replace them at 1.5mm. wondering how worn my pads are.

I don't have a set of new pads handy, but I've very sure that 9mm is just the friction material thickness not including the metal backing plate.

Sitting at my desk, looking at a gauge I would venture that the pad material when new is about 6.5mm.

Ron,

The older factory pads (textar) were. 8.82mm thick overall with a 3.66mm backing plate. That leaves 5.30mm of friction material when new.

EBC HH pads are 8.83mm thick with a 3.04mm backing plate. That leaves 5.79mm of friction material when new.

Minimum friction material thickness is 1.5mm about 1/16". Don't go below that as you'll have heat disappation problems and could inadvertently run metal to metal if there is any taper in the pad.

:dance:dance:dance

Thanks all,
Looks like mine are half way or a bit more. Was planning on stainless brake lines so will replace the pads as well. (30 year old rubber lines) doing my first Major Service as the bike is new to me. Hit a snag last night, swing arm boot is ripped.. At least the tranny and center stand are back on. Be a couple of days to get it and a new clutch boot in from BMW's warehouse. Ah the fun of maintenance on a 30 year old Flying Brick. Got after my son as well, he has my old 87 75T and I know he has not done the rear spline lube.. I did it about 6 years ago and he has put some miles on the bike since then. He did get a very nice birthday present, The man who used to own the 75s had some extras he did not give the dealer, so he got a Brand New set of Touring hard shell bags with liners for $400.. The 75s has a set of city cases, so decided to pass the deal on to him. It's been over 100 degrees lately so not nice in the garage anyway. Now to decide on tires.. Looking hard at the Shinko 230's.

Back