• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200RT Gas Gauge Problems

DWEBB49

I have an ‘08 RT and I love everything about the bike, EXCEPT

I have replaced the gas gauge 3 times and now it is gone ahead. I can work around using my Garmin but it is annoying with the flashing icon and the yellow warning triangle in constant view.

Is this a systemic problem on the RTs or is it just me.

I use premium gas always and ethanol free whenever I can get it.

Are other owners of this vintage experiencing the same problem?

The ‘08 is the hex head

Sorry for the late reply; but it’s not you. The 05-13 have the fuel strip failure issue that is well documented. It’s on a continuous and eternal recall order. They will fix it for free but the fuel strips they put in usually fail in very short order. I went through three of them before I sold my ‘05 RT. The new buyer was fully aware of the issue when I sold it.

. It’s on a continuous and eternal recall order. They will fix it for free .
Has this changed Reece?
It used to be covered by BMW for 12 years after the bike went into service.
If his last fuel strip is less than two years old it may be covered under the two year parts warranty.

Has this changed Reece?
It used to be covered by BMW for 12 years after the bike went into service.
If his last fuel strip is less than two years old it may be covered under the two year parts warranty.

You’re probably right on the specifics... my point, if the failure rate is just a few months, the OEM 2 year part warranty still puts it in a perpetually covered replacement cycle.

I have an ‘08 RT and I love everything about the bike, EXCEPT

I have replaced the gas gauge 3 times and now it is gone ahead. I can work around using my Garmin but it is annoying with the flashing icon and the yellow warning triangle in constant view.

Is this a systemic problem on the RTs or is it just me.

I use premium gas always and ethanol free whenever I can get it.

Are other owners of this vintage experiencing the same problem?

Quite a discussion on this problem here-

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?64037-Fuel-strip-poll

Perhaps Kurt will add a bit to your title when he moves the thread. It will help others search better.

Good luck.

OM

Back