• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2011 R1200RT factory GPS wiring--which Nav units fit?

srmRT

My 2011 R1200RT does not have factory GPS or radio. I think, based on reading on this forum, that my bike came with some factory wiring for GPS installation.

I am thinking of adding a GPS unit to my bike and am considering a used NavIV, NavV, or possible a NavVI. I think a NavIV was the current unit in 2011, and I expect it would integrate easily from a wiring standpoint. Does anyone know if a NavV or NavVI would integrate with the OEM wiring on my bike?

I don't do any long distance riding and am considering a GPS strictly from a "novelty" standpoint, and possibly to use for music. I seldom go anywhere that would benefit from GPS routing, so it is not a high priority for me. I am old enough to have learned how to read maps and to remember how I got somewhere. :)

Any knowledge, suggestions, or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Steve

I just finished installing a Garmin zumo 595 on my 2010 r1200rt. It also has no radio or GPS from factory.

There is a power circuit that I connected to. I then run Pandora on my Android phone. I use the Bluetooth connection between the head phones and the Garmin to provide audio for GPS and Pandora. My headphones only Bluetooth to Garmin. Android is Bluetooth to Garmin only.

The power circuit is sitting on the frame under the dash.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Your bike has a connector intended to power a GPS. It is covered with a cap and zip-tied to the wiring harness on the side of the steering head. The Navigator mounts came with a plug on the wiring that just needs to be plugged in.

Providing power is about the extent of the "integration" possible on the 2011 BMW models. Although the Navigator V and VI interact with the Wonderwheel, and can display some data from the bike, they can only do that on newer bikes.

For your purposes, and your bike, any motorcycle GPS will work fine. You can still use your bike's GPS connection for power because the matching plug is available from any BMW dealer:
GPS plug.png
Splice that to the 12V lead from your GPS mount and the GPS will power on when you turn on the ignition.

Recent Garmin Zumo (590/595/XT) models offer the same functions as the BMW Navigator models, usually at a lower cost. The new Zumo XT has been getting good reviews and is said to have a good bright screen.

You will want a helmet communicator for music and directions. Although I also used maps for many decades and can usually remember where I am, when I am exploring new areas it is still nice to have an assistant remind me when to look for my turn.

I just finished installing a Garmin zumo 595 on my 2010 r1200rt. It also has no radio or GPS from factory.

There is a power circuit that I connected to. I then run Pandora on my Android phone. I use the Bluetooth connection between the head phones and the Garmin to provide audio for GPS and Pandora. My headphones only Bluetooth to Garmin. Android is Bluetooth to Garmin only.

The power circuit is sitting on the frame under the dash.

That sounds like a plan for me. I primarily want music more than a GPS, and I don't necessarily have to have a BMW branded unit. And I use an Android phone. I thought the power circuit was up front, as you say, and another post below tells about an adapter that will allow me to use it to power any GPS unit.

How did you mount the GPS on the bike? I think your 2010 is just like my 2011.

Your bike has a connector intended to power a GPS. It is covered with a cap and zip-tied to the wiring harness on the side of the steering head. The Navigator mounts came with a plug on the wiring that just needs to be plugged in.

Providing power is about the extent of the "integration" possible on the 2011 BMW models. Although the Navigator V and VI interact with the Wonderwheel, and can display some data from the bike, they can only do that on newer bikes.

For your purposes, and your bike, any motorcycle GPS will work fine. You can still use your bike's GPS connection for power because the matching plug is available from any BMW dealer:
View attachment 80057
Splice that to the 12V lead from your GPS mount and the GPS will power on when you turn on the ignition.

Recent Garmin Zumo (590/595/XT) models offer the same functions as the BMW Navigator models, usually at a lower cost. The new Zumo XT has been getting good reviews and is said to have a good bright screen.

You will want a helmet communicator for music and directions. Although I also used maps for many decades and can usually remember where I am, when I am exploring new areas it is still nice to have an assistant remind me when to look for my turn.

Thanks Larry,

That power plug adapter is exactly what I need. I did not think my bike would "integrate" with any of the units except to supply a power source, as you say. So I don't need a BMW-branded unit. I have read a lot about some of the other units you mention and will certainly look in that direction.

I intend to get a Cardo unit, probably the +4 as I don't group ride much, for music and directions from the GPS.

I agree that is nice to have help when going to new places, and it does give you a "heads up" on upcoming turns and such.

Thanks a ton for the most helpful response. I think I can piece something together, given all of this good feedback, that will do what little bit I want to do. I am not going coast-to-coast, just around the neighborhood. :)

Steve

I bought the Migsel dashboard mount. And ram mount the Garmin. Garmin on the left and Android on the right.
d13a116c7731a78d0dc85d2f5479852f.jpg

BMW makes a mounting bar that allows a GPS to be positioned just above the dash, Part # 71607708580. When I bought mine used it had this mount for BMW Nav but could be used for Garmin or other GPS.

Can be found at BMW dealers or one available on ebay right now:

eBay item number:

diag_4iv2.jpg

Thanks etienne and bicyclenut,

Etienne, I have looked at the migsel mount and your set-up looks neat. Thanks for the photos and info about the other cable. The migsel looks similar to the OEM mount, which is a good thing.

Bicyclenut, I have seen and priced that mount at a dealer, and it is OEM. It looks a lot like the Migsel mount. Thanks for the suggestion of finding one on ebay.

Thanks for the tips, as they are greatly appreciated. :)

Back