• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Chain Maintenance and Lube for 2020?

Some reporting on this states that retrofit of existing bikes is possible. This would make economic sense. A 525 chain is a 525 chain.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Wow that’s interesting. No maintenance would be nice.

So said us all when BMW proclaimed the early R1200's final drive was zero maintenance. Has man ever successfully made a zero maintenance machine; that was not disposable? :banghead

So said us all when BMW proclaimed the early R1200's final drive was zero maintenance. Has man ever successfully made a zero maintenance machine; that was not disposable? :banghead

Presumably they mean no maintenance for the life of the (disposable) chain. The question is, what is its expected lifespan?

Also, I’m new to this. Is 525 a universal standard chain? Would my F700GS use 525 chain?

Presumably they mean no maintenance for the life of the (disposable) chain. The question is, what is its expected lifespan?

Also, I’m new to this. Is 525 a universal standard chain? Would my F700GS use 525 chain?
The F700GS uses a 525 chain.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

As someone who really dislikes chain maintenance, I actually find this a big deal — the strength, simplicity, reliability, efficiency and light weight of chain drive are very attractive attributes. If it delivers a reasonable service life at a cost that’s not too exorbitant, I’d spring for this anytime.

Anyone use a chain lube and cleaner kit they love? Please explain...

I'm on my third F bike. Still have an '02 F650GS in the garage (110K miles) along with a '15 F700GS. Most of us old "Chain Gang" folks (F650.com) have used plain old ATF to lube our chains for decades. The lubricating properties work great on the O-rings and most of us get 25-35K miles out of our chains. The rear AFAM sprocket on my F650 has over 50K and still looks good. Unlike the sticky, tacky chain waxes and lubes, dirt, sand and grit do not adhere to the ATF, reducing abrasion and wear. This means a lot if you ride off pavement. Next time your significant other colors their hair, have them save the little plastic bottle for you with the pointed tip. Fill it with ATF and stick it under the seat or somewhere. I apply a light coat about every 500 miles, usually right after I fuel and the chain is warm. Just put it on the center stand and squeeze a little on the chain as you turn the wheel.

Back