• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Chain Maintenance and Lube for 2020?

I think the outside of the rollers have to have some lubrication to reduce the wear on the sprockets.

I use the Motorex Offroad Chain Care Kit 102370 (on Amazon). Comes with a little spray can which can be refilled from the big can.

The chain lube attaches nicely to the chain and the sprockets. It mixes up with dirt after a while and the cleaning spray makes it easy to wipe that goo off.

While I do the cleaning abaout ever 1,000 miles I get ~20k miles out of a chain/sprockets set.

/Guenther

Last edited:
Anyone use a chain lube and cleaner kit they love? Please explain...

I've been using a product called "BoeShield T-9" for years on bicycle chains. I just looked at the company website and they say it's good for motorcycles too: https://boeshield.com/automotive-motorcycle/

You'll note the company says it's good for "O-ring Chains" on motorcycles. On bicycles it's known for not picking up dirt and keeping the chain waterproof.

I'm using a Scottoiler (BMW Rebranded) and basically chain lubrication isn't a maintenance item anymore.

I've been using a product called "BoeShield T-9" for years on bicycle chains. I just looked at the company website and they say it's good for motorcycles too: https://boeshield.com/automotive-motorcycle/

You'll note the company says it's good for "O-ring Chains" on motorcycles. On bicycles it's known for not picking up dirt and keeping the chain waterproof.

I’ve used Boeshield T-9 for years on a variety of stuff and never thought about it for my chain. That’s a brilliant suggestion. The “film” it leaves wouldn’t attract dust like most lubricants. It’s a great product. I’m going to try it on my chain.

Realizing I am late to the party but I use Dupont Chain and Sprocket Degreaser to clean and Motul Chain Paste on the VFR. I had previously used Maxima Chain Wax which I liked but the Motul Chain Paste is applied with a brush applicator and is far less messy. Very little fling with either the Motul or Maxima product.

Realizing I am late to the party but I use Dupont Chain and Sprocket Degreaser to clean and Motul Chain Paste on the VFR. I had previously used Maxima Chain Wax which I liked but the Motul Chain Paste is applied with a brush applicator and is far less messy. Very little fling with either the Motul or Maxima product.

How would these products perform in a very dusty or sandy riding environment? Would they allow contaminants to stick to the chain?

I cleaned and lubed the chain on my F700GS the other day. Bike has roughly 3K miles and the chain was not really noticeably dirty to begin with. Very easy process with the bike on centerstand.

Because the bike is new to me, I also removed the sprocket cover on the main drive sprocket, to confirm tooth count and verify stock gearing. I was surprised to discover the inside of that cover was COMPLETELY full of chain grease and crud. Packed full. The chain would have been rubbing the crud as it spun through there. On a bike w/3K miles!

I thoroughly cleaned it. And made a mental note to remove that cover every so often for a good cleaning.

I cleaned and lubed the chain on my F700GS the other day. Bike has roughly 3K miles and the chain was not really noticeably dirty to begin with. Very easy process with the bike on centerstand.

Because the bike is new to me, I also removed the sprocket cover on the main drive sprocket, to confirm tooth count and verify stock gearing. I was surprised to discover the inside of that cover was COMPLETELY full of chain grease and crud. Packed full. The chain would have been rubbing the crud as it spun through there. On a bike w/3K miles!

I thoroughly cleaned it. And made a mental note to remove that cover every so often for a good cleaning.

Too much lube applied too often.
OM

Too much lube applied too often.
OM

Probably. But not by me. Previous owner, or dealership where it was serviced.

When was the last time you removed that cover on your F800GS? Is it normally relatively clean under there?

I’d also be curious to know how that cover looks on bikes fitted with Scott Oilers.

Probably. But not by me. Previous owner, or dealership where it was serviced.

When was the last time you removed that cover on your F800GS? Is it normally relatively clean under there?

I’d also be curious to know how that cover looks on bikes fitted with Scott Oilers.

Never have removed the cover. As for chain maintenance, I look at it and if it looks like it needs a little attention, I mess with it.

Image result for how o-ring chains are made
O-ring chains have rubber O-rings that sit between the inner and outer links, sealing in grease for inner chain components. The O-rings encircle the pin bushings, and rest between the outer link and inner link plates. This seals chain grease in the pins and rollers, maintaining better lubrication for longer.sent

Revzilla has some wisdom. I typically use a rag with WD-40 to wipe the chain off and the Chain Wax.
https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/how-to-clean-and-lube-a-motorcycle-chain
These chains are pretty durable.
:dunno
OM

I’d suggest you remove it and have a look. You might be surprised.:thumb

Going to pass on it. It doesn’t matter. If I had been 2 feet deep in a “peat” rut- maybe.
That’s one of the best things about chains- they don’t care.
OM

Going to pass on it. It doesn’t matter. If I had been 2 feet deep in a “peat” rut- maybe.
That’s one of the best things about chains- they don’t care.
OM

Based on what I found behind the sprocket cover, had I not cleaned that crud out there really would be no point in ever cleaning the chain. Having it constantly run through the goop behind the cover would negate the effort.

But it’s such a simple thing to do (spin three bolts out in about 60 seconds, pop cover off, clean, repeat process in reverse), I don’t see why anyone wouldn’t. It also makes it very easy to clean the front drive sprocket.:thumb

How would these products perform in a very dusty or sandy riding environment? Would they allow contaminants to stick to the chain?

Apparently, not very well if the Ryan@F9's video is to be believed and I don't see any reason why it shouldn't assuming he gave the lubes "sufficient" time to set. My SOP was to allow the Maxima to dry overnight and I didn't see the fling that his test indicates. I can see how the Maxima would be less than ideal in the environments that you mention given its "waxy" nature.

Back