• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1985 K100RS aftermarket exhaust.

mcmlcccvrs

I'm thinking about replacing the stock, bulky exhaust with something aftermarket. There are a few options out there but not many. My question is with respect to reduction of back pressure and mixture. How does the fuel injection compensate for this, or does it? I've re-jetted carbureted bikes but fuel injection.........

The original Luft Injection system compensates because it is constantly measuring the amount of air entering the engine. That is why it is important to not have any air leaks in the intake side or the engine breather side. I installed a Remus system on mine several years ago since it was about the only one available new. It's louder than I would prefer but not obnoxious.

Frank

The FIE will compensate, as it measures the airflow and injects accordingly.
While you may lose some weight, and that ugly boxy look, but don't expect any power increase. I've done dyno pulls on an 85 K100RS with stock and Luftmeister exhausts. No difference in power output.

The FIE will compensate, as it measures the airflow and injects accordingly.
While you may lose some weight, and that ugly boxy look, but don't expect any power increase. I've done dyno pulls on an 85 K100RS with stock and Luftmeister exhausts. No difference in power output.

True. A number of years ago several of the K-bike guru members of the Internet BMW Rides club did dyno runs between the stock exhaust and a Staintune. The data said that there was only a very, very small increase in horsepower and then only at two or three new peaks in the hp curve, and these were offset by a couple of drops in hp at other parts of the curve. Overall they concluded that the hp and torque curves were smoother (i.e. better) with the stock exhaust. You can change the stock K-bike exhaust but unfortunately all you will get is a different sound and a lighter wallet.

I have a Staintune exhaust on my 92 K75S. While I doubt it does anything for the horsepower, I surely do love the sound it makes. I'm not sure you can out-engineer the BMW folks. :lol

Cheers,
Mark

I have a Staintune exhaust on my 92 K75S. While I doubt it does anything for the horsepower, I surely do love the sound it makes. I'm not sure you can out-engineer the BMW folks. :lol

Cheers,
Mark

I agree, at least with exhaust systems designed prior to environmental regulations. Replacing the stock exhaust (with cat) on my 2003 K1200RS with a Remus exhaust saved about 15lbs and added 12+ rear wheel horsepower. This is from dyno runs at my local dealer. Oh, and the Remus added another 2 to 3 mpg.

Replacing the stock exhaust (with cat) on my 2003 K1200RS with a Remus exhaust saved about 15lbs and added 12+ rear wheel horsepower...

Wow.

My indie had also told me you'd get more power out of a boxer with the Remus.

I've always liked them for their excellent quality and lighter weight.

If you go to their website, they have a picture of their impressive R & D facility.

Thanks for all your input, guys. I'm not interested in more power. Currently looking into BSK SpeedWorks. I have been in contact with them and they have exhaust components that will fit and allow me to keep all stock components.

Wow.

My indie had also told me you'd get more power out of a boxer with the Remus.

I've always liked them for their excellent quality and lighter weight.

If you go to their website, they have a picture of their impressive R & D facility.

On my K12RS the Remus made a noticeable increase in power. :D

On my K12RS the Remus made a noticeable increase in power. :D

I'm shopping a K12RS with a Remus exhaust. When the owner had it installed, the shop put it on a dyno for him: 108 HP peak.

BMW rates the stock bike at 130 HP, probably at the crank. If you figure a 15% loss to the wheel you end up with 110 HP. Without a back-to-back, it's all speculation, but 108 with the Remus doesn't sound like a big boost to me.

SuperTrapp Exhaust System Loud

The fuel injection system on a K bike can handle a aftermarket exhaust. Back over 20 years ago I took the stock exhaust off my K100RT and installed a complete SuperTrapp system. Really cool at first. Didn’t take long for me to tire of it. At idle it was relatively quiet, but at speed 60-80 mph it was loud even with ear plugs. Not only was it loud, but it had an abusive sound. I found myself trying to outrun the sound. Sad. Removed that system and put the stock system back in. Saved the SuperTrapp, may find a ‘85 K100 and build a hot rod.

Well, FWIW I got my hands on a Remus and it was delivered yesterday. Unfortunately no more riding this year in the Great White North. It will be spring before I get to ride with the new pipe and the RaceTech emulators. Fun projects ahead this winter.

I've been told it is not.
I sold off the one I just obtained (bought the whole bike) to a guy who had been looking and found nothing new, and very few used available.[/QUOTE at

I can certainly understand coming to that conclusion, but that simply isn't the case. Remus is ending production of their K100 systems this year. This is from an email exchange I had with Uwe Grasser, Head of Sales at Remus in Barnbach, Austria. I contacted them about something else and a brief exchange of emails ensued. He said they are being offered to the US market. No demand here? I can only speculate. If you want one you can get them.

Once I made the decision that Remus is what I wanted I found them in 5 minutes. Remus-Canada.com didn't even list the K100's in their available selection of BMW motorcycles.

I purchased mine from Germany, but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Back