• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hello there

mhines

Hi there, just joined up as I [finally] bought my first Bimmer [after many years of Ducati ownership].

Bike is 2001 BMW r1100s mostly all stock in lightest of blue, third owner, lowerish miles [under 18k].

Location is Newton [kinda Boston] MA USA

Very excited to ride it and learn from this community.

:wave

me.r1100s.JPG

Welcome to the forum!
Bike looks great. Good luck with the new ride.
Be safe out there in the confluence of “busy” Mass roads.
Gary

I think the R1100S is one of the nicest looking motorcycles ever made. Love those lines. I spent part of my youth in Lexington so I know Newton. Where do you usually ride?

Welcome from the coast of Kansas. I love the R1100S, one of the best looking motorcycles ever designed. You have a beautiful one. Enjoy it!

Welcome from Newfoundland, you're preaching to the choir.:ha
IMG_3047_heic-L.jpg

Hi there, just joined up as I [finally] bought my first Bimmer [after many years of Ducati ownership].
Hallo mhines,
Glad you've found the marque, and found a suitably sporty model as your first Beemer...
Since you've ridden Ducs for years, you're probably used to the similarly sporting posture. :lol
Hope you can find some less-crowded country roads near you for some curve carving; you're awfully close to the madness!

Enjoy your new ride safely; those cagers are getting worse every year!
Ciao! HSV-Phil

Welcome to the forum!
Bike looks great. Good luck with the new ride.
Be safe out there in the confluence of “busy” Mass roads.
Gary

Thank you sir, finally getting her officially reg'd this week... I tend to head out West and up North but a recent beach trip down to Duxbury by way of your area reminds me I need to always keep exploring. See you out there!

I think the R1100S is one of the nicest looking motorcycles ever made. Love those lines. I spent part of my youth in Lexington so I know Newton. Where do you usually ride?

I had been researching potential acquisitions for years/months, focusing on something used and low miles as not to break my budget [3 kids entering college aged years keeps me from popping off on a new GS/RT, etc. etc. ] - that said... I had also been lusting after the old ST3 Ducs, Triumph Sprint STs, etc. for more of the "sport" in sport touring.

Once I'd found this model [having ridden both GS bikes and a K-bike loaner from a friend] I saw a lot of what I wanted. Boxer motor, looks, performance, relative comfort and, man, you can find a nice one so cheap these days. When I saw this example pop up on CL nearby I knew I was in trouble. :)

Early results would seem to indicate I've made a good choice!

In terms of riding I'm fairly atypical in that I tend to ride out West and North from Boston - lots of rides out to Quabbin area/Shelburne Falls loop and also big on VT. My longest ride in many years was a two day 1100 mile jaunt up Rt 100 VT and over the top of Lake Champlain, over to Malone NY and down through the Adirondacks last year. Wish I had the time to replicate this Fall, but prolly not.

How about you? I'm always up for a group ride if you've got a good gang.

Welcome from the coast of Kansas. I love the R1100S, one of the best looking motorcycles ever designed. You have a beautiful one. Enjoy it!

Thanks very much - I used to work for a company based out of Overland Park and I have a lot of friends/former colleagues out that way.

Not sure if Kansas proper considers that actual Kansas vs Western MO but... hoping that you are enjoying all the green open space - that is my impression of KS!

Welcome from Newfoundland, you're preaching to the choir.:ha

Mmmm - she's gorgeous - I really like that red, esp with the tail piece.

Mine has a cf tailcover but of course one of the screws fell out on the ride home from the buyer's house [need to find the best source for such parts... any recommendations?].

My grandparents are from PEI and I've always wanted to ride up there... maybe someday if the worlds becomes normal again. :lurk

Hallo mhines,
Glad you've found the marque, and found a suitably sporty model as your first Beemer...
Since you've ridden Ducs for years, you're probably used to the similarly sporting posture. :lol
Hope you can find some less-crowded country roads near you for some curve carving; you're awfully close to the madness!

Enjoy your new ride safely; those cagers are getting worse every year!
Ciao! HSV-Phil

And a hearty thanks to you for the welcome!

Riding up here is pretty good actually if you get up early and get out of the metro area. I'm in pretty quiet country [at least by NE standards] in just about an hour. By two hours I can be OUT there in VT/NH/NY state.. so... yeah that's the idea.

Cagers crazy everywhar. :brad

Riding position is OK.. not as comfy as the GS or certainly K bikes that I'd ridden, and not as flat/neutral as my Monster... more akin to my old Duc 900ss [hello clip-ons!].

I think I'm going to cruise it as is for the rest of this year. Perhaps, next year, if I find my wrists starting to sizzle I may try bar risers [I will be seeking opinions on here of course]; the flat bar/superbike set up does look intriguing... but... time will tell. Seems a bit more extreme and getting away from spirit of the initial design? Not sure I take an ST and try to turn it into a naked street bike profile… because then what was the point of buying an ST? We shall see.

So, lots of fun to have and learnings to pursue on here... now back to work! :stick

Occasionally I’m cool enough to park by an R1100S... but only occasionally.

Gorgeous bike and pic. Definitely looked long and hard for one with low miles and low price, in the condition I was hoping for. Couldn't find the right combo, at least not nearby.

R1100s just that much sportier and definitely cheaper by a long shot.. RT maybe in my long distant and hopefully less bill-riddled future? Or an RS! :groovy

Welcome from another S’r:wave

Enjoy your new ride!

Here’s your part # A $13 part but owning a Duc, you know the drill!

A00A6680-E67C-4998-B62F-AD0C7D901AEB.jpeg

Welcome from another S’r:wave

Enjoy your new ride!

Here’s your part # A $13 part but owning a Duc, you know the drill!

Thanks and yes I DO get the drill. :doh

I was trying to see if the part the previous owner had on there was an OEM option... very nice little knurled bolt and rubber-lined washer combo...

Will have to source an OEM set and keep looking for these online... [unless somebody know 'em].

BMW.seat.bolt.jpg

Thanks and yes I DO get the drill. :doh

I was trying to see if the part the previous owner had on there was an OEM option... very nice little knurled bolt and rubber-lined washer combo...

Will have to source an OEM set and keep looking for these online... [unless somebody know 'em].

I should have noted this is a SARGENT part as I have a SARGENT seat. :wave

Called about a replacement and they are sending me one AT NO COST.

If you don't think Sargent is great... you should! :usa

I should have noted this is a SARGENT part as I have a SARGENT seat. :wave

Called about a replacement and they are sending me one AT NO COST.

If you don't think Sargent is great... you should! :usa

I was wondering with the threaded bolt, the OEM is a cam lock kind of screw. Good for Sargent!

Back