• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2017 F800GS tubed or tubeless tire?

The spoke wheels require the use of a tube but you can use either tube or tubeless type tires on them.

The spoke wheels require the use of a tube but you can use either tube or tubeless type tires on them.

That’s a good point of clarification. I assumed he was referring to wheels rather than tires. Maybe not?

Most commonly used tires are “tubeless” but will require a tube when used with certain wheelsets that are not tubeless rated. The oem spoked wheels on the F800GS are not the “tubeless” variety so require that a tube be used. The F700GS uses alloy wheels that do not require tubes.

BMW rectified that oversight by switching to cross-spoked wheels and tubeless on the F850GS.

F800GS wheels can be converted to tubeless by Woody’s Wheel Works in Denver. The rim is swapped for one with the correct profile, laced with stock or their heavy-duty SS spokes, and sealed for tubeless use. When I inquired last year about my R80G/S the cost for a front was in the $600-650 range. The rear on the R80G/S can’t be done—no one makes a tubeless rim the correct size that can be laced to that hub.

Best,
DeVern

Thank you all. I thought they were tubed but the fact that the tire is tubeless is what confused me. Guess they put tubes in a tubeless tire.

Thank you all. I thought they were tubed but the fact that the tire is tubeless is what confused me. Guess they put tubes in a tubeless tire.

Well, throw in the fact that a tubeless tire can sometimes (but not always) be rated for a tube... even if it doesn't say it on the sidewall... :)
A valve stem that floats around is a tell-tale sign too...

Also, this Adventure Rider Radio Podcast was super good - I need to listen again and take notes... because there is a lot of hearsay about tubes floating amongst the interwebs.

https://adventureriderradio.com/adventure-rider-radio-episodes/2020/7/16/understanding-the-motorcycle-tube-tj-tennent

I may add that this is how I bought my motorcycle new. So I’m confident BMW did their research hahaha :)

Back