• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

HELP!!! My deep well 13mm socket vanished!!

art1100

Greetings all,

I recently acquired a '95 GS and have been spending some time sorting it out. This evening, while trying to loosen the locknut on the clutch cable adjustment, I had the socket separate from the ratchet handle. It landed on top of the swingarm but when I tired to retrieve it, it rolled forward and disappeared into the abyss! I spent over an hour trying to reach into the space in front of the swingarm pivot and I even lay the bike over on it's side but to no avail.

Anyone else ever had a similar situation?? If so, how did you find what was dropped into this area? I'm suspecting I may be tearing this bike down in the future as the clutch is slipping; however, I'd really like to try adjusting the cable to specs first.

Regards,
-Art

They make USB snake cameras that can be used on our smartphone. Might be something to think about...but probably someone will have some quick fixes for you. :wave

I have two different extendable retrieval magnets the I use when hunting for things that disappear. Available at Lowe’s or most auto parts stores.

Best,
DeVern

Some times I use the shop air compressor to move the offending object around.... or right out on the floor.
OM

Where can I get one of those cameras? I'm trying to find a wee clutch part in the bowels of my KTM 525.

I've done that before!

A lot of times when a socket or other round and small part falls into the the never to found region of the bike I find the object under my tool box, lift, roller chair or underneath another bike in my collection. Try the flexable magnet and compressed air as well as tilting the bike over to each side combined with the magnet & compressed air. It might be hung up on the massive catalytic converter also. Another alternative would be to run down to Lowe's and buy a couple replacement 10mm deep wells, I did that when my truck (The Silver Dumpster) ate my 10mm deep well, never saw it again and never got stuck without a spare.

There is still hope!

I lost a grommet holder/washer/bolt collar thing into a bike. Looked up replacement on microfiche, and couldn't get it unless part of a, idk, 38 dollar assembly?
Looked at the empty/disfigured hole for approx. 7 years. Totaled the bike, stripping valuable stuff off it before junk yard destiny- FELL OUT ONTO THE GROUND RIGHT AT MY FEET.
Slayed me. Felt like a hug from Santa Claus. Laughed all day. (went back to being a cynical bastard by morning)

PS. Compressed air and tilting bike both ways is my .02. Magnet will stick to everything but the socket.

In NC last week I dropped a magnetized name tag between the right case and the frame.
I found the back magnet but never found the name tag.
I spent at least 20 minutes looking for it.
I am hoping it is still attached to the frame or it bounced off and is on the road somewhere.

One of the problems I find with these inexpensive “snake” cameras (and I have a Bosch) is the lack of adjustment to the focal distance. Sometimes you just don’t have the room to adjust the distance from camera to what you want or need to see.
Good for giving you a rough idea and certainly better than nothing.
OM

Back