• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin Express Update & Garmin Map Update

jgoertz

Garmin just released a new version of Garmin Express (7.02) for Windows, with a note that it contains "critical updates". Also, there's a new version (2021.20) map available for download. Both updates installed under Windows 10 & Nav V (and also on my Nuvi 2539) without problem. Now to update the Montana....

This must be a big one!

Spinning wheel, “checking for updates...” since I read this Jack. About 10 minutes now.

After updating itself, Express also found the map update for my Zumo 595LM. I'm glad I already had a mostly empty 32Gb microSD card installed, as the full CNNA NT 2021.20 map no longer fits in internal memory.
MicroSD needed.jpg

The map used about 3.15 Gb on the card, though the copy on my PC takes 3.89 Gb.

Garmin Express MAC OS

The MAC update for Garmin Express is Version 7.1.0.0 The MAC map version for NA is same as PC: Ver. 2021.20

Last edited:
Spinning wheel, “checking for updates...” since I read this Jack. About 10 minutes now.

Did you finally get your Garmin Express & Map Updates downloaded & installed? It was actually a quick install w/cable internet! Less than an hour for 2 Garmins (Maps) and 1 PC (Express).

Did you finally get your Garmin Express & Map Updates downloaded & installed? It was actually a quick install w/cable internet! Less than an hour for 2 Garmins (Maps) and 1 PC (Express).

I did. The problem was the order. It finally took when I quit Garmin Express, plugged in my NAV VI and allowed the device to force open the app. When that happened it immediately updated Garmin Express, and then downloaded the map in about 20 minutes.

Trying to open Garmin Express on its own and check for updates put it in a perpetual “checking for updates” status.

Looks like there might be a small, follow-on update available today (8/15) for the maps. Here's what I saw this morning:

Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 10.35.59 AM.png

I had already updated Garmin Express and done the 2021.20 map update.

I updated our Nuvi and Debbie's Nav V.
When I try to update my Nav V it disconnects before the update finishes.
I tried two different USB ports and two Garmin cables.
When I check my current maps that page is now blank.

Guess I'll call Garmin on Monday.

Guess I'll call Garmin on Monday.

It worked on try number four.

Lee, I have a similar problem with my Garmin 660. Garmin had no solutions. The problem however is now solved. When I do an update and it reports an error, I discovered that by disconnecting my 660 from the computer and then remove the data card and then re insert it, the update gets completed. :dance

I don't know if this would work for you but in the future if you have issues, you might try my fix. :dunno

Unfortunately I did not discover my fix before I bought my Garmin 595. :banghead

Cheers!

Lee, I have a similar problem with my Garmin 660. Garmin had no solutions. The problem however is now solved. When I do an update and it reports an error, I discovered that by disconnecting my 660 from the computer and then remove the data card and then re insert it, the update gets completed. :dance

I don't know if this would work for you but in the future if you have issues, you might try my fix. :dunno

Unfortunately I did not discover my fix before I bought my Garmin 595. :banghead

Cheers!

I was thinking about removing the battery and reconnecting it, didn't think about the card.
The internal storage is almost full on both of our Nav Vs so I deleted a bunch of voices from mine to make sure there was room for this update.
Next time the update probably will not fit on internal storage.
Not sure if the maps will partly store on the card once the internal storage is full.

I was thinking about removing the battery and reconnecting it, didn't think about the card.
The internal storage is almost full on both of our Nav Vs so I deleted a bunch of voices from mine to make sure there was room for this update.
Next time the update probably will not fit on internal storage.
Not sure if the maps will partly store on the card once the internal storage is full.

After installing the new map, I always check to make sure files from the previous map(s) are deleted from the NAV. If, for some reason, I need to go back to a previous version map, I have it on my computer w/BaseCamp.

After installing the new map, I always check to make sure files from the previous map(s) are deleted from the NAV. If, for some reason, I need to go back to a previous version map, I have it on my computer w/BaseCamp.

There's no way new maps and old maps will fit on my Nav V. The new maps were 6.2 GB and the internal storage is only 7 GB.
Right now I only have 536 MB of internal storage remaining.

The Garmin support page seems to indicate that maps can be stored on microSD cards. I don't know if this is happening on my NavV. Here's a screenshot from the Garmin support page:

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 5.33.25 PM.png

Garmin and SD cards :eek On my RV unit, which I move from vehicle to vehicle, has an SD slot right where I want to pick it up. I have to watch out for the card falling out :dunno
OM

Garmin & SD Cards

Same situation on my Nuvi -- slot is very easy to bump! I put the SD card into the slot, then covered card/slot with a piece of tape. Not pretty, but I haven't lost my card.

Back