• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How well do you know moto mechanics?

I got 13 on that and guessed a few right and guessed a few wrong. I know a bit but certainly far from an expert. Still it was a fun little exercise.

I got 16 out of 20. Missed to because I failed to read the question properly, the other two were the suspension related questions which I admit I am not up to speed. So I should have had 18/20 if I had been paying attention!

All of them with the tank below the carbs. XV535 Yamaha for example. Two tanks one high one low.

Damn good score. Congrats.

CHEATER! I mean... great job congratulations. I seem to have no inner monologue.

Thanks, but I cheated: almost 5 yrs working service and parts in a dealership and some years spent under the delusion that at 6’2” and 170lbs (back then) I could be competitive as a MC racer—so I switched to cars. All in a former life.. And, my shop experience predates the inclusion of fuel pumps on carb-equipped bikes. Pumper carbs, yes; fuel pumps, no.
:D
DeVern

Congratulations!

You achieved the following result:

18/20

I have no idea what a jet needle clip is. The only carbs I work on are Holley 4150s and they have replaceable jets.

(I also don't know how to do a screenshot).:dunno

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
Were I a Canadian I would be nervous when I took a vehicle in for a major repair. If you have any education in test design you would know that every question offers a 50/50 chance of a correct answer. Most questions have two possible answers that are obviously wrong to the even modestly knowledgeably person. A real test would have questions that began with, “How would you?”.

Were I a Canadian I would be nervous when I took a vehicle in for a major repair. If you have any education in test design you would know that every question offers a 50/50 chance of a correct answer. Most questions have two possible answers that are obviously wrong to the even modestly knowledgeably person. A real test would have questions that began with, “How would you?”.
Those questions only had one correct answer. Multiple choice questions are used because they are efficient for those who administer them. I am nervous when I take any vehicle anywhere for service. Glad I can do most things myself.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Aahhh, but only the instructors in English, Psych, Sociology, etc would submit themselves to correcting those papers and sorting the difference between shortcomings in knowledge or communication skills. ;)

But I agree, the test is poorly written. From what I recall, the incorrect “go fetch a pineapple” answers were too obviously incorrect. I’d prefer to see one answer indicating the correct concept and workup, one indicating non-understanding of the concept, one indicating an attempt at the correct concept or principle but a failure in the application or workup, and one much less obvious but clearly incorrect answer—for those who like to chase pineapples or are clearly lost.

Better yet would be an adaptive test, like the ones used for network, datacenter, and security certifications. An incorrect answer branches one into further questions that circle that concept, picking at the edges until the system know EXACTLY what you don’t know on that point. Advantage: at the end, one knows exactly what areas need further study. Disadvantage: expensive and sometimes frustrating to take.

But, as a recruitment “test” it’s probably effective as is—how many youthful high scorers might actually investigate the career path? :thumb

Best,
DeVern

score.jpg
In my defense, it's been 36 years since I had a chain driven bike and needed to align a rear wheel.

Frankly, I'm glad I don't need to rely on a Canadian mechanic if this is all they need to know.

I did have to guess at their intent on this one:
telelver.png

We all know that the correct answer is to ride a bike with a Telelever front end.

Last edited:
Carburetors & fuel pumps, the voltmeters & ammeters at the same time??

But, I'm a Red Seal Mechanic, if they let me cross the border

Annotation 2020-08-12 214423.png

View attachment 80004
In my defense, it's been 36 years since I had a chain driven bike and needed to align a rear wheel.

Frankly, if I'm glad I don't need to rely on a Canadian mechanic if this is all they need to know.

I did have to guess at their intent on this one:
View attachment 80005

We all know that the correct answer is to ride a bike with a Telelever front end.

I would still align the two wheels. Aligning to the swing-arm pivot doesn't mean the front and rear wheels are tracking on the same line

Back