• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1300GT - tire pressure warning lights

kychris02

I have a 2009 K1300GT and a pesky problem lately. I get tire pressure warnings about low pressure. I gas up the Road Pilot 4s... to 37 front 40 rear, immediately get readings they are 32/35 on the dash indicator. After a short ride I get the yellow warning triangle and flashing pressure numbers. Then, the red triangle and the pressure has dropped even further. Pull off, check the pressure manually, they are solid at the 37/40.

So I assume the sensors are shot or somehow malfunctioning. I have used multiple gauges for checking the pressure and it is not a faulty gauge I use manually.

The bike was bought in January 2020 with only 6K on the clock so it was sitting around and not ridden much. Should I get new sensors or is there another way to re-calibrate them? How much is that going to cost, etc. Thanx to the wise guys here for any thoughts.

Hola KY-Chris:
All I can offer you is what I was told about my '14 GT's sensors. They have internal batteries that inevitably wear out. I was also told these extra BMW accessories are expensive to remove & replace (particularly taking apart my trailer-hitch assembly). So like you, I try to ignore the random warning '!', after checking tire pressures before any extended rides. I'm hoping there are some after-market replacements to be found, or maybe there's a strategy to hack these units in order to replace the presumed small batteries once you get each wheel dismantled...

There's my 2 cents; worth every penny...
Ciao! HSV-Phil

It does sound like your TPMS batteries are dying or your sensors are going bad. The BMW sensors are spendy. There are aftermarket sensors available on Amazon and FleaBay at a lower cost, but you are pretty much on your own as far as getting them activated and that has sometimes been problematic on the aftermarket units. Another option is to remove the tire and replace the battery by digging it out of its epoxy shroud. There are threads on TPMS here in the forum that discuss the options, and a google search will pull up info and videos on replacing the batteries should you decide to go that route. If you decide to buy new sensors, BMW or otherwise, the new sensors will need to be paired with your bike. If you have access to a GS911 you can do it yourself; otherwise it’s a dealer task.

Here’s an example of one previous thread here in the forums:
https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?60628-TPM-fail-and-filling-the-rear-tire

Best,
DeVern

If you search the whole forum for something like "TPMS" you will find threads on how to replace the batteries, aftermarket sensors, wake-up tools for the sensors and how to get the bike to recognize new sensors. There are good videos on YouTube as well.

I bought two $16.95 sensors for front and rear from China. Used the wake up tool and my GS-911 and they were recognized by the system. Works fine.

Update... my bike shop says both sensors + kits + labor = $750 to $850. They say no way to disable the TPMS system. Either replace sensors or I will have to live with the warnings. Yuk. :scratch:banghead:scratch:hungover

Kind of miss the good old days of keeping an eye on tire pressure with a $5 pocket gauge. It's a fine bike... but slightly over-engineered.

Back