• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Latest Info on compatibility of Ride-On Balancer and sealer and BMW TPMS sensors

rreynold6

There is considerable and conflicting info on the web about the compatibility of Ride-On balancer and sealer and BMW TPMS sensors. Ride=on seems to think it's OK as long as the sensors are sealed units and most are. I've seen some remarkable results on friends bikes with the product and would like to try it but don't want to mess up those pricey sensors. Any experience here, good or bad?

There is considerable and conflicting info on the web about the compatibility of Ride-On balancer and sealer and BMW TPMS sensors. Ride=on seems to think it's OK as long as the sensors are sealed units and most are. I've seen some remarkable results on friends bikes with the product and would like to try it but don't want to mess up those pricey sensors. Any experience here, good or bad?

Precisely how a "sealed" TPMS sensor detects pressure eludes me. Can somebody explain this.

Excluding the models with run flat tires, BMW now provides an emergency repair kit consisting of a 12V compressor and a bottle of sealant. BMW part 71102333674

Excluding the models with run flat tires, BMW now provides an emergency repair kit consisting of a 12V compressor and a bottle of sealant. BMW part 71102333674

I looked that part # up and found the kit advertised @ $137.45 (first place I checked.)

I have not spent any time researching portable compressors. So I have no idea whether that is a good deal or not?? The power cord apparently is compatible with the BMW/hella 12V outlet, so that is a bonus I guess.

I looked that part # up and found the kit advertised @ $137.45 (first place I checked.)

I have not spent any time researching portable compressors. So I have no idea whether that is a good deal or not?? The power cord apparently is compatible with the BMW/hella 12V outlet, so that is a bonus I guess.

If it was me, I would carry a good tire plugging tool and either 1) a small compressor or 2) several CO2 cartridges and adaptor.

If it was me, I would carry a good tire plugging tool and either 1) a small compressor or 2) several CO2 cartridges and adaptor.

I usually do that while going any distance but a friend recently had tires changed on his H-D Ultra. The rear tire had a 1/4 inch bolt AND a roofing nail all the way through. This guy runs Ride-On. The guy changing the tires could not believe the tire was right at proper pressure. Kinda convinced me the stuff works, however, he did not have TPMS. According to Ride-On there are some years of Gold Wing that have unsealed sensors but the info on BMW is a little ambiguous.

I believe the TPMS sensor is located in the rim. As I understand it, Ride-on only coats the interior of the tire.

Their instructions state to rotate the wheel/ stem to the 4 or 8 O'clock position, put in the Ride-On, then continue airing up the tire. This allegedly clears the sensor, but again. on sealed sensors.

Back to my question. If a TPMS sensor were to be sealed from its outside world inside the tire how would it detect and register pressure?

Their instructions state to rotate the wheel/ stem to the 4 or 8 O'clock position, put in the Ride-On, then continue airing up the tire. This allegedly clears the sensor, but again. on sealed sensors.

Here's a photo of the part, and it certainly doesn't look "sealed":

Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 4.36.20 PM.png

Back to my question. If a TPMS sensor were to be sealed from its outside world inside the tire how would it detect and register pressure?

The sensors probably have a flexible diaphragm that prevents fluids from getting in but allows for the sensing of pressure and temperature, and that is considered sealed.

So, if the Ride-on stuff only coats the tire and not the wheel/sensor, then why does the sensor need to be sealed? If you have a sensor fail that is under warranty and the dealer finds Ride-On in the wheel and/or the sensor, then what are the odds the dealer will deny the warranty claim? Does Ride-On back-up their claim that it is safe for use with sealed sensors with a guarantee to replace the sensors if they fail with Ride-On installed? I have no opinion on whether or not Ride-On works, but feel no urge to use it. I’ve had two flats on a motorcycle; one in 1967 or 68, and the second in 2017. I’m not due for another 40+ years so I will take my chances.

I usually do that while going any distance but a friend recently had tires changed on his H-D Ultra. The rear tire had a 1/4 inch bolt AND a roofing nail all the way through. This guy runs Ride-On. The guy changing the tires could not believe the tire was right at proper pressure. Kinda convinced me the stuff works, however, he did not have TPMS. According to Ride-On there are some years of Gold Wing that have unsealed sensors but the info on BMW is a little ambiguous.

Let's put it this way...........TPMS sensors have been standard equipment in cars for at least 10-yrs. Slime and others have been selling these sealants for even longer. If the stuff was killing TPMS sensors, we would have heard about it from the car / truck community long before this.

Of course, this is the opinion of some guy with a laptop.

Last edited:
The sensors probably have a flexible diaphragm that prevents fluids from getting in but allows for the sensing of pressure and temperature, and that is considered sealed.

So, if the Ride-on stuff only coats the tire and not the wheel/sensor, then why does the sensor need to be sealed? If you have a sensor fail that is under warranty and the dealer finds Ride-On in the wheel and/or the sensor, then what are the odds the dealer will deny the warranty claim? Does Ride-On back-up their claim that it is safe for use with sealed sensors with a guarantee to replace the sensors if they fail with Ride-On installed? I have no opinion on whether or not Ride-On works, but feel no urge to use it. I’ve had two flats on a motorcycle; one in 1967 or 68, and the second in 2017. I’m not due for another 40+ years so I will take my chances.

Wish I had your luck! Seems like I have a flat every five or six years. A couple of them have been pretty scary. All of the opinions are appreciated. I actually hoped someone could comment from experience. Part of my interest is in the reviews that state it actually does balance the tire. The new Michelin Anakee Adventure I have on the front has considerably more weights on it than I'm comfortable with and it was mounted by the dealer. Thought this might help.

Sensors are located in the center well of the rim, yes?
So if the goop is PROPERLY APPLIED - as in, spin that wheel quickly (go for a ride) immediately upon installation - doesn't that force it to migrate outward onto the tire, where it's supposed to adhere?
Or - having never owned a vehicle that had a TPMS - is there something else I'm missing?

Last edited:
I used it on my 1600 for 25,000 miles no issues, when I switched to a RT my selling dealer suggested not using it as they had a complaint about TPMS failure

Ride-on and TPMS

I've been using Ride-On for years, most recently in a 2014 1200GS (30,000 miles) and now in a 2017 1200 GSA (40,000 miles). Prior to the BMWs I used Ride-On in a Triumph Trophy (70,000 miles) and Honda Goldwing (90,000 miles). Have never had any issues with TPMS on any of those bikes and no flats while using Ride-On.

Back