• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200GS 12K Plus fun

jimvonbaden

Kool Aid Dispenser!
A simple 12K on @Dr Twisty 's bike turned into a little more than simple.

Spot it?

How about now?

This is mine:

Anyhow, the rest of the 12K went great. Oil and filter, valves all in spec, plugs, air filter and brakes. Went to do the FD, drop it down and lube the splines, and trouble hit!

Rust frozen solid.

Some hammer time, with chisels, and finally broke it loose.

Rust cleaned as well as possible, painted with rust reformer, and ready to reinstall.

Basically it all went back together OK.

Great working with the good Doctor, even in the heat.

Jim :brow

How did the arm get bent?
Did you replace the arm?

Good to see the splines were ok after you cleaned off the rust.

Winter riding in heavy salt?
Wild pressure washing?
Bike been submerged?
Any ideas?
OM
my chains never look like that :brow

How did the arm get bent?
Did you replace the arm?

Good to see the splines were ok after you cleaned off the rust.

I'm curious about that too. Also, wouldn't the handling been alted by the rear end setting lower.......effectlvely increasing rake at the front?

I'm curious about that too. Also, wouldn't the handling been alted by the rear end setting lower.......effectlvely increasing rake at the front?

The owner had noticed that the bike seemed lower. He was going to do a track day today. But, of course, he had to cancel. Definitely not safe, and he rides aggressively, so less ground clearance would be an issue.

Very long thread on this issue: https://advrider.com/f/threads/r120...ange-and-spline-lube-pictorial.1129815/unread

I've seen a few pictures and the owners said no to all of the above.

That seems to be in conflict with my questions-
Winter riding in heavy salt?
Wild pressure washing?
Bike been submerged?
Any ideas?
OM
my chains never look like that :brow

And the response from Jim. :dunno

Lots of hard off road, water crossings and winter riding. I do not think it had been checked at all.

OM

BTW, my experience has shown that that type of corrosion leads to what is called “fretting”.

That seems to be in conflict with my questions-

And the response from Jim. :dunno

I was not talking about the bike Jim worked on.

Some people have had the same problem with other Wetheads, not just the GS.
The last post I saw was on a RS. That bike had never been submerged, had never been through a water crossing and the owner does not use a pressure washer.
I was pointing out it's possible to have rusted splines with normal use, even on non GS models.

The last post I saw was on a RS. That bike had never been submerged, had never been through a water crossing and the owner does not use a pressure washer.
I was pointing out it's possible to have rusted splines with normal use, even on non GS models.

This is true, though the rusty ones I have seen had all had the boot on improperly. Normal washing can cause it to fill with water.

:thumb

No lube or rust preventive in Germany? Motorcycling seems to have become a lot more complicated. Maybe it’s like all the vehicle front end parts with no grease fittings?
Maybe it’s the BMW riders that keep their bikes too long ;)
OM

Thank you Jim!

Thank you Jim (jimvonbaden) for helping my friend Peter with his 24K service.
I had the same issue with the rusted and seized rear drive splines as he had on my 2018 R1200RT-LC at my 12K service.
My bike hasn't been in any water crossings or floods and I never even use a water hose to wash my bike.
I did suspect that my dealer has some young kid clean the new bikes with a pressure washer, as I have seen it done in person.
I showed my pictures to the dealer I bought the bike from. He got very upset with me for removing the rear drive and lubing the splines, as the BMW factory does not recommend this service in their literatures.
But my bike is doing better with it lubed. I rechecked at 24K and 36K and it is staying dry and lubed and the rust is under control.
The bend swing arm brace is something I haven't seen or heard of before. At least the shock mount didn't break or crack the swing arm.

I showed my pictures to the dealer I bought the bike from. He got very upset with me for removing the rear drive and lubing the splines, as the BMW factory does not recommend this service in their literatures.

I wouldn't deal with that guy, again...

I did suspect that my dealer has some young kid clean the new bikes with a pressure washer, as I have seen it done in person.
But my bike is doing better with it lubed. . At least the shock mount didn't break or crack the swing arm.

:laugh :wave :burnout

Back