• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1990 K75s rear wheel cap/cover/hub cap?

smithrjd

I am trying to determine if I am missing a cover for the rear wheel (covering the lug nut area) Looked at a million pictures and videos, and can't really see one. Usually covered by the muffler and bags.. I do have a black cap or plug in the center hole, but nothing covering the lug nut area. Black/silver Y or snowflake rims. My old K100 had a silver cover that had clips to fit into the center hole which covered the lug nut area. Mu 91 K75C had a silver slotted cover, 3 spoke rims. Did the 1990 K75s have a cover? If so what does it look like?

TIA
Ron

Well, my father's 91 RT and my 95 S both have a cap that covers the whole lug nut opening area. My dad has the black "snowflake" rims which uses a shallow "dish" and I had the silver "Y" rims which used a flat cover that fit over the area that sat flush with the rims. Oddly i have no picture to help you out with.

The parts fiche kind of shows it:
https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51745&rnd=07242017

And BeemerBoneYard has better photos

https://sep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-15102260216258/k75-100-2v-rear-wheel-hub-cap-silver-for-y-spoke-wheels-9.gif

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/36132311276.html

Well, my father's 91 RT and my 95 S both have a cap that covers the whole lug nut opening area. My dad has the black "snowflake" rims which uses a shallow "dish" and I had the silver "Y" rims which used a flat cover that fit over the area that sat flush with the rims.
The wheels that you are calling "snowflake" are actually called Y spoke ( if you look at the spokes, you will see 4 "Y"s with the bottom leg of each Y connecting to the hub and the two arms of each Y connecting to the rim). Airheads had snowflake wheels which are different.

The wheels that you are calling "Y" spoke are actually called 3 spoke.

BMW made 3 different hub covers for the K75 in addition to the small center hole plug. As far as I am aware, all K75Ss came from the factory with one of the full hub covers.

The '87 Ss came with the silver dished hub cover to match their silver Y spoke wheels.

The '88-90 Ss came with the black dished cover to match their black Y spoke wheels.

All later Ss came with the smooth silver covers to match their silver 3 spoke wheels.

:dance:dance:dance

I have looked at several microfiche's, trouble is (to me anyway) they don't identify the year. In the MAX BMW fiche, the diagrams are #36, 0164 and 1535. Both are the 'Y" wheels like I have, Fiche number 0164 shows the center plug like I have (#10) and also shows what looks like the cap in question (#5) in fiche number 1535 it shows the center cap or plug like I have (#2) and does not show the larger cover. I think this is the drum brake wheel model however. Neither fiche is broken down by year that I can see. On both my old K100 and the K75C the center cap was held by a clip that fit into the center hole. With the black plug in (like I have) the center attachment would not work.

Neither cap for the silver Y spoke or the black Y spoke wheel are available anymore from BMW.

The plug is not used when using the hub cover.

K75s and K100s with Y spoke wheels used the same covers. The black ones are less common on the used market due to the high use of the silver Y spokes on the standards and RTs. You could always buy a used silver one and paint it black.

Call one of the recyclers in the Owners News.

I only saw 2 silver ones on eBay; a broken one for $30 and a good one for $50 plus shipping.

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
I actually found one overseas for sale, what confused me is that center plug. I can't see how it could be there and the cap fit. Seems funny that they would have both. Learning more about these, even though I have had a few of them..

I actually found one overseas for sale, what confused me is that center plug. I can't see how it could be there and the cap fit. Seems funny that they would have both. Learning more about these, even though I have had a few of them..

The "cap" will NOT fit with the center plug installed. The cap has two metal fingers which insert in to the center hole in the hub and hold the cap in place with spring tension.

Well, my father's 91 RT and my 95 S both have a cap that covers the whole lug nut opening area. My dad has the black "snowflake" rims which uses a shallow "dish" and I had the silver "Y" rims which used a flat cover that fit over the area that sat flush with the rims.
The wheels that you are calling "snowflake" are actually called Y spoke ( if you look at the spokes, you will see 4 "Y"s with the bottom leg of each Y connecting to the hub and the two arms of each Y connecting to the rim). Airheads had snowflake wheels which are different.

Lee, as always, thanks for setting me straight :)

I can't believe that no one has commented on my hubcap.

I like it. I'm trying to figure out what it is made from, and how it is held on to the wheel. Looks like the original caps are hard to find. Who knows, I might some day need to whip up one like yours.

I made the cap out of 1/8" aluminum. I machined it to just fit inside the wheel and pressed a small dish in it. The roundel is the same one as on the K gas tank. I machined an indentation the diameter and thickness of the roundel to make it fit flush. With red rouge and a buffing wheel, the aluminum will polish really nice. Now the neat part---the cap is held on with magic, oh i'm sorry, I meant magnets. (kind of the same thing). I have 4 small round magnets cemented on the back side that line up with the wheel bolts. The wheel bolts are dished and the magnets nicely fit in the head. I built this cap about 7 years ago and I haven't lost it yet. It does help to own a small machine shop when building one.

When I bought my '94 K75, I had the impression that K75 Y-spokes did not come with the covers but the K100 (which was no longer sold) had.

So the cap is missing on this bike?

94364BF1-A20F-4F02-A160-BDB575437D6C.thumb.jpeg.7830e7c1ffc530eec469b880c5852643.jpeg

Back