• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is this sound normal? 2018 R1200GS

numbercruncher

I really like my R1200GS except for the loud clicking sound you can clearly hear in this video. Both cylinders make this noise and at speeds around 45mph it is really irritating. So irritating that it may prevent me from buying a new R1250RT for my 50th birthday present. The dealer said it is normal but what do you expect them to say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeELzPcZjLE

Any insight is appreciated.

NC

Does the sound change when the bike warms up? On my 2018 1200GS with 14K there is a similar noise, not quite as pronounced as your recording, that seems to change to a higher pitch as the bike warms up. It only happens on the right side and I am assuming it is just valve noises.
Now my R75/5 does make noise, but on an airhead "a tappy engine is a happy engine"!

My 2018 RT sounds the same. After riding Harleys for years I have grown accustomed to ignoring certain noises.

Purely out of curiosity, with no malice in my heart, I do wonder, do loud valves save lives?? :wave

I don't think so, and I don't believe loud pipes do either. I don't believe that grandma in her Buick, or the college girl driving while texting pays any attention to either.

I really like my R1200GS except for the loud clicking sound you can clearly hear in this video. Both cylinders make this noise and at speeds around 45mph it is really irritating. So irritating that it may prevent me from buying a new R1250RT for my 50th birthday present. The dealer said it is normal but what do you expect them to say?

Any insight is appreciated.

NC
My 2018 RT sounds the same or maybe even louder.
Here is a video of my engine noises. I can't her it at speed, as I use ear plugs, which are a recommended accessory for BMW bikes.

I traded my 18 1200rt for a 19 1250RT and I think the 1250 might be just a little quieter but its all about the same. The power on the 1250 is noticeable though, I'd say go for it!

My 2018 RT has a slight rattling sound just after starting from cold. Almost sounds like a marble rolling around in there. The sound all but disappears when I pull the clutch in, and gets less pronounce as she warms up. Not worried about it as it's always been like this since I got her with 1100 miles on the clock.

The ticking in the videos above definitely sound like valve chatter and is very different than the sound my RT makes.

My 1250 rt is not that tappy. Even less so with a helmet on and while going down the highway at speed. Have you tried listening to one at your dealers before buying one?:thumb:bikes

another thought

change your oil to Liquid Moly 5-40.
i changed all my bikes over to it and IMHO it makes a world of diff...

Sounds just like my 2016 1200gs. BMW should be ashamed for producing an engine that clatters like this. It's an embarrassment. I won't be buying any more boxers-engined bikes from BMW.

Back