Thread: 1200 to an 850? I知 nuts right?

1200 to an 850? I知 nuts right?

Took my 2016 R 1200 GSA in for service the other day and they (of course ) had a new 850 GSA there. Been considering downsizing. Not sure. Anybody have experience with the 850 GSA riding 2 up? That’s my main concern... any feedback appreciated. Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by bmrrdr View Post
    Took my 2016 R 1200 GSA in for service the other day and they (of course ) had a new 850 GSA there. Been considering downsizing. Not sure. Anybody have experience with the 850 GSA riding 2 up? That痴 my main concern... any feedback appreciated. Thanks in advance
    Also check the R1250GS. The GS only weighs 11 pounds more than the 850GSA.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Depends on why you want to downsize. Lots of riders want to downsize because the sheer size and weight of a large bike becomes harder to maneuver around, both in the garage and in the parking lot, maybe on the road.

I have downsized each time I traded bikes over the years because I was trying to get back to the original reason why I loved riding so much in the beginning. Large bikes (with more and more do-dads) have gotten farther and farther from the thing that drew me to motorcycles back when I was young: the wind in my face, the "flickability" of a small machine between my knees, the simplicity of the mechanicals.

Good luck.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

I recently upsized to an 800cc GS bike. I could easily see myself going back down to something in the 500 cc sub-400 lbs size again sometime in the future. There is no way I'll ever go larger. Big heavy bikes are not nearly as much fun to ride as smaller lighter bikes, for me anyway. I just don't understand the desire for big CC and heavy bikes in the "Adventure" class - - that's pretty much opposite of what makes a good off-pavement bike.

But then, if you're riding two-up maybe you're not going off-pavement. But why a GS then, much less a GSA?

Spring 2019, I took advantage of a RawHyde tour from CA to CO. I had a chance to ride both the 850 and the 1250. For me, the 1250 seemed easier to ride with its broad power band. Considering the small difference in weight, I think you will miss the power of the 1250, especially riding 2-up. YMMV.

Doug
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

Tough choice. I have an 850GSA. I like the bike a lot and it always average over 50mpg. The bike has plenty of power and I ride with all three aluminum bags on the bike all of the time. It primarily a road bike and commuter. I also don't see many issues with the 850 powertrain. So far, the engine is proving to be a good one....even if its Chinesium.

All that said, I'd buy the 1250 if I was doing this over again. The 1250 will likely have stronger resale value, it has far better aftermarket support, the weight is carried lower in the frame, and the front suspension of the 1250s seems pretty nice.

The think the lack of aftermarket support for the 850GSA is something you need to consider. Very little in the case of 850GS accessories actually work on the GSA...I've learned the hard way.
    -Steve
    2019 F850 GSA Rallye
    or
    2017 F-250

I traded my 2016 800gsa for a 2019 850gsa and I wish I had gotten the 1250gsa instead. The weight is so close might as well have the big motor and I think the center of gravity of the boxer is a little lower. I do believe that the 850 is a better bike then my 800 for a number of reasons but that's my two cents on the matter.

If you are looking for a smaller GS type bike, you may want to at least take a look at the new Guzzi V85 TT adventure.

Shaft drive, spoke wheels, USD forks, cruise, alu bags and box and a 2 yr warranty for $13K MSRP.
    The driveline is still made by Guzzi in Europe.

I have never ridden one but they do look very good and seem to have all the right stuff. Tires are tube-type, though. Ah well, can稚 have everything!
    -Live as fully as you can as long as you can-

Quote Originally Posted by OldCamper View Post
    Tires are tube-type, though. Ah well, can’t have everything!
    Deal killer. 19th century technology for the 21st century. Sitting in the mud on the shoulder of the road a bit south of Chicken, Alaska, as trucks splashed mud on me while I extracted and replaced an inner tube I was reminded of the cliche: Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. YMMV
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Deal killer. 19th century technology for the 21st century. Sitting in the mud on the shoulder of the road a bit south of Chicken, Alaska, as trucks splashed mud on me while I extracted and replaced an inner tube I was reminded of the cliche: Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. YMMV
    Well, there ARE kits to convert or some pretty cool aftermarket rims available but a cost adder if tubeless is a requirement. Or, one could just get tow insurance or carry a credit card. Sometimes the tire can稚 be plugged.

The new Africa Twin ES has cruise and spoked tubeless. Stroms are available with spoked tubeless too.
    -Live as fully as you can as long as you can-

Quote Originally Posted by OldCamper View Post
    Well, there ARE kits to convert or some pretty cool aftermarket rims available but a cost adder if tubeless is a requirement. Or, one could just get tow insurance or carry a credit card. Sometimes the tire can稚 be plugged.

The new Africa Twin ES has cruise and spoked tubeless. Stroms are available with spoked tubeless too.
    As I wrote, YMMV.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Thanks all, I already have a 1200 GSA so no need for a 1250. Part of my downsizing thoughts were to go from 2 bikes to 1. No Guzzi. Don稚 know where my nearest dealer is bad enough I have to go 250 miles for a BMW dealer. I値l keep pondering keep the thoughts coming.. thanks again....

As a former F800GS and current F850GSA owner I believe the F-GS bikes are an excellent choice over the R-GSs depending on the intended use. For two up mostly road riding, I'd say go with the R1250GS or GSA. The few extras and additional power might make it more enjoyable. For solo riders, it will depend on how you want to use it. the F850GS and GSA are better suited to harsher terrain with the 21" front tire and slightly lighter weight (yes it not a lot, but every little bit helps). This was a large part of my decision to get the F850GSA instead of an R1250GSA. The extra power the 1250 delivers is way over rated for off road use, it's just the product of the continued arms race of the motorcycle industry to always up the ante with each new model year. The 850 engine has plenty of power. The other thing to consider is the price tag. In Canada there is a $7000 difference for comparably equipped R vs F models.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2019 F850GSA

Quote Originally Posted by mcmxcivrs View Post
    As a former F800GS and current F850GSA owner I believe the F-GS bikes are an excellent choice over the R-GSs depending on the intended use. For two up mostly road riding, I'd say go with the R1250GS or GSA. The few extras and additional power might make it more enjoyable. For solo riders, it will depend on how you want to use it. the F850GS and GSA are better suited to harsher terrain with the 21" front tire and slightly lighter weight (yes it not a lot, but every little bit helps). This was a large part of my decision to get the F850GSA instead of an R1250GSA. The extra power the 1250 delivers is way over rated for off road use, it's just the product of the continued arms race of the motorcycle industry to always up the ante with each new model year. The 850 engine has plenty of power. The other thing to consider is the price tag. In Canada there is a $7000 difference for comparably equipped R vs F models.
    And, you don稚 have those cylinders right in the path where you壇 like to take a dab in a tight spot...

DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST 1984 R80 G/S-PD 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C 2010 K1300GT 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138