• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

F650st

georgej

I'm looking into buying one of these. 1997 not fuel injected, over 30,000 miles but maintained. Should i shy away from it? I'm wondering about the mileage and parts availability. I was looking for a KLR650 but the price on the BMW is very attractive.

I got one just a couple of months ago for $2k with no issues, new consumables, new aluminum panniers and a bunch of spare parts. I’ve set it up as a second bike for dirt roads to complement a 1999 R1100RT for roads.

It’s fun (hence the Funduro name I suppose)! Parts seem a bit hard to come by. Plan to change out the carburetor float gaskets because it “pukes” gas into airbox if you forget to turn off at petcock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm looking into buying one of these. 1997 not fuel injected, over 30,000 miles but maintained. Should i shy away from it? I'm wondering about the mileage and parts availability. I was looking for a KLR650 but the price on the BMW is very attractive.

The only real downside to the carbureted F650s is the fuel mileage. We had 2 of the '97 Funduro bikes. Fuel mileage was about 45 mpg compared to about 60 mpg on my later fuel injected 2001 F650 Dakar.

Thanks guys. The one I'm looking at is a '97. I don't care so much about fuel mileage. I'm looking for something to ride the seasonal roads in my area. I'm not too interested in riding my Airheads on seasonal or logging roads.

“What’s he asking?” “Tell him he’s dreaming”

...quote from the GREAT Australian movie The Castle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had two 1997 F650 Funduros. The only drawback to the ST model for backroads and trails is tht it has an 18 inch front wheel instead of the 19 inch on the Funduro. For casual trail riding the geometry doesn't make a lot of difference. But dual-sport tire availability is more limited in the 18 inch size. From a casual search it does look like Conti TKC70 tires might be a good fit for the ST model.

Back