• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wethead Final Drive Lubricant Specification

Same Here

Well when my dealer performed the 600 mile service the paperwork states they used the Final Drive Gear Oil C-SAF-XO 75W-90. (PN 07 51 2 293 972)
So I went to my dealer and talked to the parts guy and that is what they said that BMW North America told them to use.
I bought a liter for $25 which is probably high but I was there and it should last me for this change and the next 4 years.
They also sold a 200 ml bottle for $10 if you didn't want the liter bottle.
They also carried a BMW branded 80W-90 which was simply labeled Hypoid Gear Oil. He told me you definitely did NOT want to use that in my 18 R1200 RT.
Those were the only 2 choices for gear oil that they carried.
The BMW SAE 75W-90 I bought is simply rated API GL-5. It does state it was Made in the USA and distributed by BMW of North America.

Anyway I should at least be covered warranty wise if something happens to the final drive.

I just brought home my first BWM bike. Put the 500 miles on and went to do the initial service (since i live 3 hours from the dealer). The Manual says 70w/80 g3. Called they dealer and they told me that any gl-5 75/90 oil would be fine and that is what BMW sends them to put in the final drive.

R1250rt

I just brought home my first BWM bike. Put the 500 miles on and went to do the initial service (since i live 3 hours from the dealer). The Manual says 70w/80 g3. Called they dealer and they told me that any gl-5 75/90 oil would be fine and that is what BMW sends them to put in the final drive.

R1250rt

Gee; wouldn't it be nice if BMW would put that in the owner's manual so it would be common knowledge?

R1250rt

I was told not to use GL-5 Limited Slip oil, use only standard.

I was told not to use GL-5 Limited Slip oil, use only standard.

I am curious who told you that? I am fairly certain that for Castrol at least, it is just a name for marketing purposes. For at least a decade Castrol sold 80W90 Hypoy C gear oil. Exceellent lubricant, very high sulfur content. Then they changed the name to Castrol Limited Slip. But Castrol reps said it was a name change, not a formula change. I don't know what is true since I am not a chemist and don't have any of the old Hypoy C oil to send to Blackstone. So I wonder what it is about a BMW final drive that would render it harmed?

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/07512293972.htm?pn=07-51-2-293-972-M1137

Castrol's Syntrax Long Life 75W-90 full synthetic multigrade final drive lubricant is specially designed and approved by BMW for use in all BMW final drives with conventional (non-limited slip) differentials. It provides superior protection at high and low operating temperatures where conventional oils can't, including excellent temperature reduction, final drive enhancing performance and extends component life span.

Castrol Syntrax Long Life Differential Oil
75W-90
Fits: Select BMW applications
Warranty: 2-Years/24,000 miles
Weight: 2.04 lbs

Application Notes: Fully synthetic gear oil for cars with standard differentials. Not for cars with limited slip. Equivalent to: Castrol SAF-XO.(1 Liter). Equivalent to: Castrol SAF-XO.Fully synthetic gear oil for cars with standard differentials. Not for cars with limited slip.

Harry

We used to add a 4oz bottle of Limited Slip additive to “posi” rear ends-

Reduces wear, noise and chatter in limited slip (Sure-Grip, Trak-Lok, Power-Lok) differentials. Should be added whenever the gear oil is changed or improper limited slip operation is detected.

Not sure how many car/truck manufacturers required it. The additive was a big deal and important in Chrysler/Dodge/Mopar products.

On a personal preference note, I don’t like the confusion of word changing on products. I was going to buy the specific AMSOIL front, rear and transmission lube for my ATV. When I went to order, AMSOIL, seemed to confuse the issue by homogenization of two different oils into one :scratch
I went with Royal Purple as the specs matched. :dunno

OM

I'll just stick to a synthetic GL5 75/90 and not worry about the latest fad or brand of the day in oil... YMMV

My thoughts exactly. I have not used BMW branded gear lube for over 200,000 miles and nothing bad has happened. I’m not an engineer but I’m pretty sure the gears and bearings are pretty standard stuff and there is nothing magical in there.

Pretty much any brand name GL5 75/90 synthetic gear lube meets the spec and works fine. BMW recommends whoever is paying them, simple as that

Haven't explored this in any detail, but I always thought that GL-3 was "intended" for heavy trucks. :dunno
I've only used GL-5 in all of my beemers' rears, zero issues...
I think K12LTS hit the nail on its proverbial head.

Back