• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

95 R1100 oil filter help

abc123

My new to me bike has a bizarre oil filter on it. It is not the factory 74 mm 14 flute filter. It appears to have some epoxy on the bottom so it can accept a large hex driver or something. Like the opposite of a K&N filter. My question is how am I going to get it off? The old long screwdriver through it trick.

Thanks
72FFE746-96C6-4C25-B03B-D28DB2A85057.jpeg

It’s not a nut actually. It looks some used a big hex driver to make some sort of mold of it. I have never seen anything like it.

Google "oil filter removal tool". I've used a small "cup" with fluted edges that mold to the bumps in the side of the filter. Looks like such a tool will slip in the sides of the oil filter opening.

My bad, I thought it looked like a bolt... I guess the imprint in the epoxy was meant to be used to insert a bolt head into it to loosen things up.. :dunno
Anyway the oil filter removal tool will remove that wayward filter as suggested by 20774...

Thanks but I’m familiar with that. I bought the OEM mahle one with the correct wrench size. I’ve tried a few different sizes and no luck. I have never seen anything like this

Try a spark plug socket with the drive end in the epoxy facets if one fits put your extension in from the spark plug side and try and turn the filter out??????

Thanks but I’m familiar with that. I bought the OEM mahle one with the correct wrench size. I’ve tried a few different sizes and no luck. I have never seen anything like this

Unfortunately there are MANY outer diameter sizes and numbers of flutes on those filters. I must have four or five and I somehow always manage to not have the one I need. On vehicles that are mine, I keep the right size, of course, but helping someone else I always seem to be oh so close but not right.

Maybe ride it to the parts store and see if they'll let you try them until you find it. You may have to grind off the epoxy until you can bottom the filter wrench. There is a slight taper to those so the wrench needs to hit bottom. Be SUPER careful not to go through it if you grind. Looks like someone ground on it to glue that in the first place.

Find a bolt whose hex fits the recess, double-nut the threaded end of the bolt, and use the bolt and a socket/ratchet to spin off the filter. If that doesn’t work, find a cup wrench that just fits on the filter—don’t stress over the flutes not matching up. Drill three equally spaced holes in the bottom face of the cup filter, 120 degrees apart and about 3/8”-1/2” in from the outer edge. Slip the cup wrench on the filter, install three sheet metal screws in the holes, and spin off the filter. And don’t ever again buy anything mechanical from the PO of your bike.

Good luck,
DeVern

I support the use of a cup type wrench and three sheet metal screws. Remember to punch a hole to drain the filter before putting the cup wrench in place.

As a possible (maybe amusing) alternative you could try to epoxy another nut in place of where the other one was. Or try the head of a bolt trick and see if the epoxy hold up. A 3 inch or so long bolt gripped with vice grips ought to work unless the epoxy cracks and fails.

Last edited:
Find a bolt whose hex fits the recess, double-nut the threaded end of the bolt, and use the bolt and a socket/ratchet to spin off the filter. If that doesn’t work, find a cup wrench that just fits on the filter—don’t stress over the flutes not matching up. Drill three equally spaced holes in the bottom face of the cup filter, 120 degrees apart and about 3/8”-1/2” in from the outer edge. Slip the cup wrench on the filter, install three sheet metal screws in the holes, and spin off the filter. And don’t ever again buy anything mechanical from the PO of your bike.

Good luck,
DeVern

This is a great method but if possible, use an impact with quick bursts. Don't lay on the trigger. Sometimes a quick burst to tighten and another quick burst to loosen works well. Patience is a virtue with this method.

You could add a little heat, not from a torch though! Use a heat gun and get the filter up to about 100C. Be patient and make sure the entire filter is heat soaked.

You could add a little heat, not from a torch though! Use a heat gun and get the filter up to about 100C. Be patient and make sure the entire filter is heat soaked.

This is part of the reason I always do oil/filter changes with a hot bike, and the filter is the first thing cracked loose followed by the fill plug then the drain plug removed. But, the OP is already long past that point.

Best,
DeVern

I'm not certain about the clearance available with the filter shown, but in some instances I've found the adjustable oil filter wrenches can be useful.

The first is the least expensive that I've found, available from Harbor Freight -
https://www.harborfreight.com/unive...ing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&utm_content=
63690_I.jpg

There are a number of similar, albeit more expensive adjustable wrenches available from Amazon -
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Ad...ilter+wrench+adjustable&qid=1596623838&sr=8-4
https://www.amazon.com/Motivx-Tools...lter+wrench+adjustable&qid=1596623838&sr=8-10
https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-251...ilter+wrench+adjustable&qid=1596623838&sr=8-8

714vp-t3JwL._AC_UL480_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg81lNhizI0mL._AC_UL480_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg51KXmaPthNL._AC_UL480_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

Can you measure the distance between parallel faces on the hex drive?

An alternate approach is taping the epoxy with a small punch until it pops off or shatters. Once a small separation (gap) is created in the current bond, the rest should just pop off

Get a chisel and try to remove the existing nut or if that is too hard then you bond another nut on top it knowing you wont twist the existing nut off

proper surface prep is your friend and I would use JB Weld but thats just me :)

The 3 machine screws will be the best option for me. I have never seen anything like this. It does look like the previous owner did try to bond a nut to it. The bottom is definitely sanded down.

The 3 machine screws will be the best option for me. I have never seen anything like this. It does look like the previous owner did try to bond a nut to it. The bottom is definitely sanded down.

Is that a nut bonded with epoxy to the filter or a socket shaped cavity in a mound of epoxy.

Is that a nut bonded with epoxy to the filter or a socket shaped cavity in a mound of epoxy.

It looks like someone either made a mold out of the epoxy or it was a nut glued on it. I just got her a month ago. It’s pretty strange to me

Back