Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 95 R1100 oil filter help

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    Thanks but I’m familiar with that. I bought the OEM mahle one with the correct wrench size. I’ve tried a few different sizes and no luck. I have never seen anything like this
    Can you measure the distance between parallel faces on the hex drive?

An alternate approach is taping the epoxy with a small punch until it pops off or shatters. Once a small separation (gap) is created in the current bond, the rest should just pop off
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Get a chisel and try to remove the existing nut or if that is too hard then you bond another nut on top it knowing you wont twist the existing nut off

proper surface prep is your friend and I would use JB Weld but thats just me
    Signature

The 3 machine screws will be the best option for me. I have never seen anything like this. It does look like the previous owner did try to bond a nut to it. The bottom is definitely sanded down.

The 3 machine screws will be the best option for me. I have never seen anything like this. It does look like the previous owner did try to bond a nut to it. The bottom is definitely sanded down.
    Is that a nut bonded with epoxy to the filter or a socket shaped cavity in a mound of epoxy.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Is that a nut bonded with epoxy to the filter or a socket shaped cavity in a mound of epoxy.
    It looks like someone either made a mold out of the epoxy or it was a nut glued on it. I just got her a month ago. Itís pretty strange to me

Left Coast Rider
    ..... it was a nut glued on it.
    Looks like someone's bright idea that didn't quite work out. Chisel or grind or file off the epoxy so that the proper oil filter wrench fits on. Buy proper oil filter wrench. Then remove filter. If possible, have the bike warmed up as I've found it makes filter removal easier.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Looks like someone's bright idea that didn't quite work out. Chisel or grind or file off the epoxy so that the proper oil filter wrench fits on. Buy proper oil filter wrench. Then remove filter. If possible, have the bike warmed up as I've found it makes filter removal easier.
    What he said.....

Any update? Did you just chisel it off?
    Ride fast, take chances.

Got it off

Thanks to all the BMW wizards who helped me. I ended up going the 3 screws method after I rounded her off. It was a napa gold filter on it.

Thanks for the recap. Inquiring minds wanted to know. Ride easy.
    Gary Phillips - #6322
    Wildland Firefighter, Retired, Riggins, ID
    Heartland Moto Locos BMW Riders
    '77 R100/7 Dirt Hack, '83 R80ST, '85 K100RS w/EML, '93 K1100LT, '00 R1100RS

Thanks to all the BMW wizards who helped me. I ended up going the 3 screws method after I rounded her off. It was a napa gold filter on it.
    The Napa gold filter that I tried took a smaller filter wrench than the OEM filters perhaps the guy found his filter wrench did not fit and tried to get inventive

Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    The Napa gold filter that I tried took a smaller filter wrench than the OEM filters perhaps the guy found his filter wrench did not fit and tried to get inventive
    NAPA and most other auto parts stores sell a cup wrench to fit the NAPA filter I am sure. I had to buy a new one to fit the 64mm filters on our G310s. About $5.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Are filters getting smaller because they are better?

Registered User ALIENHITCHHIKER's Avatar
    Filters are not getting smaller. This is a perceptual phenomenon created by the fact that everything else is getting just a little bit bigger.

The same phenomenon may be observed in belts and certain articles of clothing. See "Expansion of the Universe" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansion_of_the_universe
    Steve
    Current Hottie: '00 R1100RT
    Old Flames: '85 K100RT, '80 Yamaha XS850, '67 Triumph Bonnie, '66 Honda 90 Scrambler