• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1990 K75s Questions

smithrjd

Long time lurker, and a long time BMW owner. (R90s, K100RT, R1150RT, K75T, K75C, K1200RS) Getting older and decided I would sell the K1200RS before I drop it getting it on the center stand... Took awhile, but I found a pristine '90 K75s with 12K miles. Full service history to 11500, now has 12250. All fluids were done at the last service, engine oil, gearbox, rear drive, brakes flushed and coolant flushed. Trouble is that was 4 1/2 years ago. Little use since 2015. I suppose I should just "run the rack" (will look at all the rubber hoses etc) planning on a spline lube as well. (no clear evidence it has ever been done) What do folks use now days for spline lube? Honda 60 is no more and Honda 77 perhaps is not the same thing. I can find Staburags, and some Moly assembly lubes. Brake pads are a bit worn so will replace them as well. EBC HH seems to be a good choice, or just go with OEM pads? Tires are 6 years old so they will go as well. (replaced at 11500) One problem on the ride home. The trip reset knob went AWOL, was there when I left after purchasing the bike but was gone when I got home 75 miles later. Of course, they are N/A from BMW. Anyone have a busted speedo with a knob they would part with? Wanted to upload a picture, but not working now..
Another question, The bike has heated grips, can I put bar ends on? (pinky is off the grips, Gorilla hands) Seems I read that is not a good idea with stock heated grips.

Welcome to the forum!
Quite a few of your questions have been archived through the “Tag Cloud” system. The Honda molly 60 product comes to mind.
Have a look down the lower left of the page and the TC a try while you are waiting for suggestions from the members.
Good luck.
Gary

I have looked at the forums back to 2017. Tires and brake pads answered. Still not sure on spline lube. Another question. A long story, but I have '91 Police spec engine sitting in the garage. What are the differences between a police spec motor and the standard K75 motor?

Look here for spline lube info: K-bikes DIY/Tech Library

Link is at the top of this forum.

Concerning the bar end weights, I can't say specifically with regard to the K75, but my R1150GS has bar end weights with heated grips.

Ted

I have looked at the forums back to 2017. Tires and brake pads answered. Still not sure on spline lube. Another question. A long story, but I have '91 Police spec engine sitting in the garage. What are the differences between a police spec motor and the standard K75 motor?

The only difference that I am aware of is that the police bikes had a lot of special electrical parts to reduce radio interference.

:dance:dance:dance

Thank you all for the information.
I am in SoCal. The bike is 30 years old, and the rubber grips are hard but still in good shape. (heated) Perhaps "Grip Puppies" would work. I wanted bar ends as my hands are XXXL glove size, and my pinky is off the grip. My K1200RS had something like the Grip Puppies but had a chrome cap at the ends effectively lengthening the grip. I will keep looking. Going to break the bike totally down and go through everything. New braided brake lines, pads, fuel filter and new rubber hoses, spline lube, and all fluids etc. Going to give the police spec motor to my son, as he has my older 87 K75T approaching 90K miles. The bike got knocked off the stand at his college and broke the crankcase side cover. I was looking for a new cover and found the motor for sale at $250, 6K miles from a wrecked Police bike. Turns out it was a Professor that did it and left the scene another student saw it and reported it. (two weeks later) So insurance covered the repair. (just under totaling the bike..) So a spare low mileage engine sitting.

Back