• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman - New Show! "Long Way Up"

ExGMan

For those who loved the first two editions of the trips these guys take, now there's a new one coming out on 9/18/2020. Here's what I saw in the NYTimes today:

Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 4.43.39 PM.png

Great! Thanks for the heads up. I've been wondering when it would air.

I really enjoyed the two previous trips. Particularly the good natured banter and camaraderie between these two friends. :thumb

This one will be an interesting change from the previous trips, with them riding electric Harleys now, not BMW GS bikes.

Thanks John

It will be good to see the boys on bikes again. Wish they were on beemers, my lamentations aside, I’m sure I’ll enjoy watching it.

A suggestion while waiting for release: the intermediate series that was filmed betwixt LWR and LWD, was Charlie Boorman’s “Race to Dakar”.

I'm interested to see this, I've read a few little reports about the journey. Race to Dakar was pretty good, I think Charlie wants to go back.

Last I checked, I was going to have to join some other subscription streaming service to watch Race to Dakar. Will have to see if it has migrated yet to some others. I don't mind paying to "rent" it, just don't want to join another subscription-based streaming channel.

I have heard some bits about the most recent trip. Apparently the support team had to really plan and work hard to keep those Harleys charged up. Portable generators were hauled along in support vehicles, etc and kept running overnight in many cases. I recall thinking maybe those bikes weren't the best choice for a trip like this. I don't think it proves much - - environmentally speaking - - when you have to go to those lengths to make it work.

Not bashing these guys - - I really admire them. Just not sure about the bike choice.

I definitely agree with you on the bike choice, I think half of it they were just happy to be out of the BMW contract. As for streaming services I'm not too happy about having to get Apple TV to watch it.

IIRC, Boorman wanted KTM in the first trip but KTM was afeared of “failure to finish” and resulting bad press.
I’m not concerned on what they ride. With the support crew, they will make it on whatever they ride.
I have both on DVD, like On Any Sunday, or Penton- great motorcycle adventure films.
OM

I suspect Harley Davidson paid handsomely for this adventure; attempting to replicate the sales figures of the BMW GS models post production of LWR/LWD

All that I can find says it will air on AppleTV. Guess I will have to wait for reruns on the Discovery Channel or such.

Looks like it'll be showing on AppleTV+ on Friday, 9/18. If you've purchased an Apple iPhone in the past few months, you can get a free year of AppleTV+.

Here's the method:

Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 8.20.19 PM.png

Apple TV+

I like my free year of Apple TV + enough that after looking at it a couple of times I have considered canceling now so I won’t forget next August
I will hold off now and take a look at long way up

Back