• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

95 R1100r won't start suspect fuel pump

hotrod

Hi, bike was fine all spring parked for a week ,won't start, no fuel pump hum when key is turned. fuse is good relay is good. Pulled injector Line Turned key no fuel. pulled tank removed pump and filter assembly,ran direct power to pump ran like a champ. any thoughts? also while looking around I found a female plug behind tupperware to right of fuse box ? what do I do?

First check or disconnect the sidestand cut-off switch, and check the position and function of the engine cutoff switch on the RH control perch. I’m not sure what plug you are referencing, but there are two connectors on the tank—one for fuel gauge and one to power the pump, so make sure they are in position.

Best,
DeVern

Also, note that the fuel pump only energizes for a moment when the key is first turned on, just enough to pressurize the fuel rail so the bike is ready to start. Once the starter is engaged and the motor turning over the pump then kicks into normal operating mode.

DeVern

95 R1100R still not starting

Appreciate everyones input Thank you all !!
This is what Iv'e done
-new battery, air filter, fuel filter, changed plugs, all new fuses, new fuel pump relay
- Got spark
- took apart side stand works fine
- I do not have a gas gage(use odometer) there is one set of 3 wires that plugs in below tank on rt side. they seem to be in good shape
- engine cut of switch seems to work when left or rt of center bike will not turn over
- The plug thats not plugged in is to the right of fuse box is similar to those plugged into fuel injectors. maybe for diagnostic ?
- when I turn key on I can hear a relay click at first I thought new fuel pump relay but its #7 the Motronic relay which I determined by touch when I turned key
did not notice this until today

I'm still game if I can be pointed in the rt direction. Again thank you all for your input..Rodger

Locate the wire bundle leading up from the side stand. Locate where those wires connect in to the wiring harness. Disconnect the connector. Get a small jumper wire. Turn on the key. Make sure the kill switch is in the "run" position. Bike in neutral. Jump between the two wires in the connector on the bike side - not sidestand side - of the connector. Does the fuel pump come on?

trace stand disconnect jump bike side

Hi Paul ,
located where side stand enters harness, disconnected , key on ,bike in neutral, kill switch center position, jumped bike side, fuel pump did not come on. The only reason I did not think it was the pump was when I move from tank I jumped it from battery and it blew the gas out of Lines and ran great. I put in new fuel filter and closed it up.It's a 25 year old bike I have no problem putting in anew fuel pump.. Thanks for input it's getting late in Massachusetts. Be safe, Rodger

If the pump runs ut of the tank with external power applied but not in the tank then it would seem to me the power is not getting to the tank for some reason.

Back