• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Evinrude shutdown at end of May 2020

Did I just miss this? Bombardier Rec Products (Rotax, CanAm, SkiDoo, etc) ended Evinrude Outboard production at the end of May and signed an agreement with Mercury to supply engines for their boat lines.

Did I just miss this? Bombardier Rec Products (Rotax, CanAm, SkiDoo, etc) ended Evinrude Outboard production at the end of May and signed an agreement with Mercury to supply engines for their boat lines.

Yeah, they announced that about three months ago or so. The demand for 2-stroke outboards is pretty minimal. Unfortunately, they made the major blunder of going all-in on 2-strokes.

But also Bombardier have been in financial trouble again so probably looking to cut costs.

But also Bombardier have been in financial trouble again so probably looking to cut costs.

Don't confuse Bombardier with BRP. They are two completely separate companies and have been for about two decades. Evinrude is owned by BRP, which is doing quite well and not affected by the issues in the aviation sector that plague Bombardier.

Don't confuse Bombardier with BRP. They are two completely separate companies and have been for about two decades. Evinrude is owned by BRP, which is doing quite well and not affected by the issues in the aviation sector that plague Bombardier.

Your comment prompted a web search. Yep, Bombardier sold off the CRJ to Mitsubishi and the Rail division to Alstom within the month. I was surprised to find that Bain Capital was 50% of the original BRP deal.

Your comment prompted a web search. Yep, Bombardier sold off the CRJ to Mitsubishi and the Rail division to Alstom within the month. I was surprised to find that Bain Capital was 50% of the original BRP deal.

Beware the vulture capitalists. Selling off assets one at a time until just the shell is left is a frequent MO. Eddie Lambert at Sears is the poster boy for this behavior.

Beware the vulture capitalists. Selling off assets one at a time until just the shell is left is a frequent MO. Eddie Lambert at Sears is the poster boy for this behavior.

I can recommend the movie “Other People’s Money”. Danny DeVito, Gregory Peck and Penelope Ann Miller star.
Besides being a well done movie, it gives a rather interesting lesson on how “corporate raiders” factor their financial moves.
OM

Evinrude isn't being sold off. The Evinrude brand name is being retained by BRP (BRP also owns the Johnson brand name.) In all likelihood, the brand name will re-appear on a future product from BRP.

Production of 2-stroke "ETEC" outboards is being discontinued due to very poor sales, year after year after year after year etc. It doesn't matter how good you make a 2-stroke, the overwhelming majority of the boating public wants 4-stroke outboards. And if you build your 2-stroke outboards heavier than the competing 4-strokes as Evinrude did with its "G2" ETECs, you are done.

Yes, that's the typical MO. What I found surprising in the BRP case was the involvement of Bain in 2003 and BRP still being here.

BTW - Bain was Romney's company.

Back