• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Shipping from AZ to Calgary Canada

Looking to ship my GS from Prescott AZ to Calgary Alberta Canada. Anyone have any recommendations or warnings on a company to use. Don't have the time to ride there and back and to complete my planned trip, and rental gets pretty expensive in Canada. Checked out some other threads but most were from 2010 or older. Thanks

Have a peek at the "similar threads" pane at the bottom of the page, you may get some ideas.
Chances are the current Covid requirements will be a factor, in one direction or another.
OM

Looking to ship my GS from Prescott AZ to Calgary Alberta Canada. Anyone have any recommendations or warnings on a company to use. Don't have the time to ride there and back and to complete my planned trip, and rental gets pretty expensive in Canada. Checked out some other threads but most were from 2010 or older. Thanks

Also be aware that you probably won't be allowed across the border and if you are, you will have to quarantine for 14 days. The border has been closed for over 4 months.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-u-s-border-travel-couples-alaska-1.5670867

Last edited:
I would be sure to understand how long the bike might be tied up going through customs. It may not be an issue or it may end up sitting for weeks. Perhaps you could have it shipped and held for you in Great Falls, Montana. It is about 320 miles between the two cities. The first 120 miles is on I-15 at 80 MPH. In Canada most of it is on Hwy 2 which is an interstate sorta road with a 120 KPH speed limit. An easy ride in six hours.

What's not clear, to me at least, is whether this is a Canadian vehicle, or an American vehicle. Was it bought in Canada, or the U.S.? Where is it registered, and what plate does it have? How long has the bike been in the U.S., etc.? Is it being "exported" permanently from the U.S. into Canada? Just an FYI, I'm a Canadian who's been living in the U.S. for seven years. I drove a Canadian-spec car, originally bought new in Canada, into the U.S. in 2013, when we moved here on posting. Notwithstanding all that, when I wanted to drive that car back into Canada in 2015, to give to my son, I was subject to all of the (relatively)-new American AES export procedures, just to bring my Canadian vehicle back into Canada. Without going into painstaking detail, fulfilling these American export requirements meant I had to engage a U.S. customs broker (you cannot do this on your own because it entails input of information into a U.S. system, and private individuals can't do that). You would not want to assume anything, and discover the vehicle can't make it through U.S. Customs on the way out.

Now, if none of this applies, and if you're an American, who wants to ship his bike, just to save time, I'd ask how you plan to get into Canada, and back into the U.S., given the Canada-U.S. border remains closed to all non-essential travel. Even if you met the criteria for entry into Canada, you'd have to quarantine upon arrival in Canada for 14 days. I just did this mid-June, going back into Canada, and trust me, both health officials, and the police (unannounced), will check up on you. Only a fool would try to "cheat". On arrival in Canada, you have to provide the full address where you will be quarantined, answer questions as to what arrangements you've made to have food delivered, your cell phone number, your email address etc.

This is from Air Canada's website: The Government of Canada has restricted non-essential travel of foreign nationals across its border. Foreign nationals (a person who is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident) wishing to enter Canada by air for optional, non-essential or discretionary purposes will not be permitted. Non-essential travel includes travelling for purposes such as tourism, sightseeing, recreation, entertainment, social visits and religious functions.

And this, Canada Border Services Agency website :https://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/covid/menu-eng.html

Last edited:
It's clear to me that he wants to ship it to Calgary, and then ride it back to Arizona, presumably after doing some touring in Canada. I'm assuming his plan is to do this when border restrictions are lifted.

As the bike is going back to Arizona, an application to the Registrar of Imported Vehicles would not be required.

It's clear to me that he wants to ship it to Calgary, and then ride it back to Arizona, presumably after doing some touring in Canada. I'm assuming his plan is to do this when border restrictions are lifted.

As the bike is going back to Arizona, an application to the Registrar of Imported Vehicles would not be required.

I wouldn't count on seeing the border re-opened to non-essential travel any time soon. The restrictions, to this point, keep getting extended every thirty days. How long this will continue is anyone's guess, but given the state of affairs down here re COVID-19, there's no political will, or public support, in Canada to relax them.

Ah, I misunderstood. You are correct.

Back