• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Do Not Connect Battery Charger Directly to Battery ?!?

I ran into the same rider a couple of years later. He was still riding that R1100GS and it still had the substitute ground cable. He hadn't "gotten around" to digging beneath the battery box to fix the OEM ground issue.

Good job Paul,
It amazes me how a lot of folks don't have a grasp of how electric circuits work. I was fortunate to have a shop class in High school which taught ac dc and how it all functioned. When I joined the Air Force at age 18 I was given aptitude tests that somehow said I was needed in the avionics technician field just because I had a basic knowledge of electricity. While during my 8 years in the Air Force as a radio repairman I also obtained my pilot ratings in Air Force flying clubs in Germany and Colorado. After that I have spent over 40 years as a corporate pilot and I can't tell you what that experience has benefitted me in correcting electrical problems in aircraft as well as my many Beemers. I would encourage all to research basic fundamentals of electronics to understand simple problems that occur.
Jim

Vark,

Did you say the original owner included the trickle charger with the deal? If so, what was the brand/model?

Vark,

Did you say the original owner included the trickle charger with the deal? If so, what was the brand/model?

Yes. I will need to check brand and report back. We’re in the middle of a Tropical Storm here, so it will be a while before I venture out to the garage.

At 1.3Amp, you should be pretty safe with that unit. I would have preferred a Battery Tender Junior or Yuasa brand. Noco makes a nice 1A unit, but you need a NOCO to SAE adapter cord.

That was my thinking, too (ie, 1.3A should be pretty safe.) I actually do have several other chargers, including a Battery Tender Jr and NOCO. Some I have are higher amp for larger battery banks (boat, sump-pump emergency battery back-up, etc).

Will probably stick with this BatteryMINDer Plus, since it seems to have been working for the previous owner. Have not found any documentation whether it came from the dealer like this, though. Battery was installed March 22, 2017 -- Deka ETX14.

That was my thinking, too (ie, 1.3A should be pretty safe.) I actually do have several other chargers, including a Battery Tender Jr and NOCO. Some I have are higher amp for larger battery banks (boat, sump-pump emergency battery back-up, etc).

Will probably stick with this BatteryMINDer Plus, since it seems to have been working for the previous owner. Have not found any documentation whether it came from the dealer like this, though. Battery was installed March 22, 2017 -- Deka ETX14.

Deka is made by East Penn Mfg in the Reading PA area. The Deka ETX14 is the same size as the Yuasa YTX14 batteries. IIRC, east Penn and Yuasa(Exide) evolved out of the original Exide battery company.

Back