Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do Not Connect Battery Charger Directly to Battery ?!?

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Here is what the manual for my RT says:

Charge disconnected battery
    via onboard socket.
    You'll be waiting a long time for that charging cycle to complete.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    You'll be waiting a long time for that charging cycle to complete.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

"Disconnected battery". Maybe they mean frame ground disconnected? That's the way I charge my /7 battery.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Ride more. Worry less.

om
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    "Disconnected battery". Maybe they mean frame ground disconnected? That's the way I charge my /7 battery.
    If only, but not on an Oilhead, for example. The battery negative cable connects to the engine case beneath the battery box which holds the battery as well as the ABS module on several models.

Which brings to mind a story. We were at the Nebraska Rally a number of years ago. There was a rider there with a fairly new R1100GS. The electrical system was "flakey" (tech term). After a couple of hours of troubleshooting I concluded the bike had a bad ground connection. Not wishing to dig all the way under the battery box, he borrowed a bike and headed off to the nearest auto parts store and returned with a three foot or so long automotive battery cable with ring terminals on both ends. We disconnected the factory ground wire at the battery and substituted the new cable attached to a convenient fastener on the engine case or frame, I forget which. That solved the ground issue and the bike performed fine.

I ran into the same rider a couple of years later. He was still riding that R1100GS and it still had the substitute ground cable. He hadn't "gotten around" to digging beneath the battery box to fix the OEM ground issue.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 08-03-2020 at 06:50 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I ran into the same rider a couple of years later. He was still riding that R1100GS and it still had the substitute ground cable. He hadn't "gotten around" to digging beneath the battery box to fix the OEM ground issue.
    Good job Paul,
    It amazes me how a lot of folks don't have a grasp of how electric circuits work. I was fortunate to have a shop class in High school which taught ac dc and how it all functioned. When I joined the Air Force at age 18 I was given aptitude tests that somehow said I was needed in the avionics technician field just because I had a basic knowledge of electricity. While during my 8 years in the Air Force as a radio repairman I also obtained my pilot ratings in Air Force flying clubs in Germany and Colorado. After that I have spent over 40 years as a corporate pilot and I can't tell you what that experience has benefitted me in correcting electrical problems in aircraft as well as my many Beemers. I would encourage all to research basic fundamentals of electronics to understand simple problems that occur.
    Jim
    Jim Dubick
    Boaz, Alabama
    R1200RT
    BMW MOA, BMW MOALABAMA

Vark,

Did you say the original owner included the trickle charger with the deal? If so, what was the brand/model?
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Vark,

Did you say the original owner included the trickle charger with the deal? If so, what was the brand/model?
    Yes. I will need to check brand and report back. We’re in the middle of a Tropical Storm here, so it will be a while before I venture out to the garage.

Vark,

The storm passed quicker than expected down here.

It's a BatteryMINDer Plus model # 12117.

Quote Originally Posted by vark View Post
    The storm passed quicker than expected down here.

It's a BatteryMINDer Plus model # 12117.

At 1.3Amp, you should be pretty safe with that unit. I would have preferred a Battery Tender Junior or Yuasa brand. Noco makes a nice 1A unit, but you need a NOCO to SAE adapter cord.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

At 1.3Amp, you should be pretty safe with that unit. I would have preferred a Battery Tender Junior or Yuasa brand. Noco makes a nice 1A unit, but you need a NOCO to SAE adapter cord.
    That was my thinking, too (ie, 1.3A should be pretty safe.) I actually do have several other chargers, including a Battery Tender Jr and NOCO. Some I have are higher amp for larger battery banks (boat, sump-pump emergency battery back-up, etc).

Will probably stick with this BatteryMINDer Plus, since it seems to have been working for the previous owner. Have not found any documentation whether it came from the dealer like this, though. Battery was installed March 22, 2017 -- Deka ETX14.

Quote Originally Posted by vark View Post
    That was my thinking, too (ie, 1.3A should be pretty safe.) I actually do have several other chargers, including a Battery Tender Jr and NOCO. Some I have are higher amp for larger battery banks (boat, sump-pump emergency battery back-up, etc).

Will probably stick with this BatteryMINDer Plus, since it seems to have been working for the previous owner. Have not found any documentation whether it came from the dealer like this, though. Battery was installed March 22, 2017 -- Deka ETX14.
    Deka is made by East Penn Mfg in the Reading PA area. The Deka ETX14 is the same size as the Yuasa YTX14 batteries. IIRC, east Penn and Yuasa(Exide) evolved out of the original Exide battery company.