• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Vario v. Hepco Becker Junior Enduro Cases ??

vark

BMW Vario v. Hepco Becker Junior Enduro Cases ??

I am studying case options for a new-to-me F700GS. I am going with hard cases but not the super duper metal "Adventure" style. Would appreciate feedback.

I have the oem racks which accept the BMW Vario cases. These are the ones that can expand in size with an internal lever mechanism. Interesting, and reasonably tidy. However, the cases are quite pricey new, and also on the used market. Here is the package sold at a nearby BMW dealership:

BMW Vario Cases Left/Right

Hepco & Becker offers similar sized cases in similar material to the Vario cases. They are not "vario" in size, just fixed. They can be purchased in a 30L/40L case size for offset left/right cases (to accommodate the muffler.) Total volume is a bit more than the expanded Vario cases, but pretty close. Price is MUCH more reasonable - - about 1/2 the price of the BMW cases:

Hepco Becker Junior Enduro Case Set

The only catch is I would need to mount H/B side racks, at an extra expense of nearly $350. (I may be able to sell the BMW racks to recoup some of that.) The H/B racks are actually much nicer/more versatile, and have a "quick attach" feature that allows the racks themselves to be easily dismounted. Unlike the BMW racks, these H/B racks will work with many other models and brands of cases:

Hepco/Becker Side Racks

Does anyone have specific experience with these H/B Junior cases and/or rack, or a basis of comparison with the BMW Vario cases? I have poked around a bit and not found too many references to them - - kind of surprising given how much more affordable they are than the Vario cases.

Any feedback welcome even if it's just educated opinion based on experience with other cases. But keep in mind I'm pretty focussed on comparing these two and have decided against some other options including soft cases.

Last edited:
Anything that has “BMW” stamped on it is going to be expensive, regardless of value.

I looked at the HB juniors with colored inserts for a bike i considered getting and agree they seem a good value for the money.

That said, i prefer Varios for the 700, mainly because the bike looks so clean when they are removed.
The Vario mount is certainly clever but the plastic levers are somewhat fragile and the expansion mechanism can get sticky after a while, especially if you ride in a lot of dust. Used bags may not expand or contract easily.

I have the black plastic BMW Vario cases- sides and top. They have been excellent on the F800GS.
OM

Thanks for the feedback. It’s all helpful.

I agree about how “clean” the Vario system looks, both mounted and dismounted. Plenty of photographic evidence for that.

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to find photos of what the H/B Juniors look like mounted on an F700GS. It would be helpful to see how high they sit and at what angle, etc.

Thanks for the feedback. It’s all helpful.

I agree about how “clean” the Vario system looks, both mounted and dismounted. Plenty of photographic evidence for that.

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to find photos of what the H/B Juniors look like mounted on an F700GS. It would be helpful to see how high they sit and at what angle, etc.

I would suggest looking at the SHAD offerings. IIRC, SHAD makes the BMW OEM bags.

When I bought my F700GS on the way out of the dealership I bought the Varios and they gave me a 20% discount.

The Varios are heavy and have a bit awkward shape inside the right bag. They are VERY sturdy. I dropped my bike a few times with no damage, not even a scratch.

Perfect designed mounting points! Easy to take off/ put on and no damage from my drops.

I really like the fact that I can collapse the Varios for day tours and have them extended when travel with camping gear. I also like that they open to the side and I can open them with the camping gear on top.

I had the Hepco style mounting rack for the BMW side cases on my R100GS. I had to have weld a weak spots twice and finally had to replace the racks. But that was over 30 years of usage! :)

/Guenther

Vark,

You might try searching for a used F650/700/800 GS on CycleTrader, Craigslist or similar. If the bike has bags, ask if they're interested in selling them separately. This works at dealers, too.

I appreciate the suggestions and input from everyone. Contacting sellers of Vario-equipped bikes is an interesting idea.

A related question: Does anyone know definitively whether the Vario cases used on larger R-GS models would also fit the F-GS bikes? BMW has a different part #, and the F cases have a different exterior appearance. But I have seen some info suggesting there is overlapping compatibility.

These just popped up not too far away, at a good price. I’m not a fan of the silver panel, but could live with it:

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/mpo/d/leesburg-bmw-r1200gs-vario-cases/7170051696.html

R and F bike Vario mounts are very different.
An R has 2 clips while the F has a single stud along the top.
The lids and expansion mechanism MAY be interchangeable, but the inside panels and mounts are not.

I appreciate the suggestions and input from everyone. Contacting sellers of Vario-equipped bikes is an interesting idea.

A related question: Does anyone know definitively whether the Vario cases used on larger R-GS models would also fit the F-GS bikes? BMW has a different part #, and the F cases have a different exterior appearance. But I have seen some info suggesting there is overlapping compatibility.

These just popped up not too far away, at a good price. I’m not a fan of the silver panel, but could live with it:

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/mpo/d/leesburg-bmw-r1200gs-vario-cases/7170051696.html

You need the ones that use the pin on the grab handles.
attachment.jpg

R and F bike Vario mounts are very different.
An R has 2 clips while the F has a single stud along the top.
The lids and expansion mechanism MAY be interchangeable, but the inside panels and mounts are not.

Okay thanks for the info.

So, my thinking has evolved. Now leaning toward a Givi set-up.

Their Trekker cases are similar to the Vario cases (but not expanding), with two added features: (1) side and top loading; (2) can be moved from sideracks to top rack to use as a topcase. I could use a 33L and 46L as side cases for longer trips (with bulky camping gear on rack in duffle) or use either of the sidecases as a topcase for around town.

If anyone is interested in opining, there is a decent demo video here: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-monokey-trekker-33-liter-case

The cases are somewhat pricier than the H/B Juniors (but I have found them for cheaper than Revzilla). However, the racks are less expensive by about $135. So total price is not far apart.

So, my thinking has evolved. Now leaning toward a Givi set-up.

Their Trekker cases are similar to the Vario cases (but not expanding), with two added features: (1) side and top loading; (2) can be moved from sideracks to top rack to use as a topcase. I could use a 33L and 46L as side cases for longer trips (with bulky camping gear on rack in duffle) or use either of the sidecases as a topcase for around town.

If anyone is interested in opining, there is a decent demo video here: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-monokey-trekker-33-liter-case

The cases are somewhat pricier than the H/B Juniors (but I have found them for cheaper than Revzilla). However, the racks are less expensive by about $135. So total price is not far apart.

Before going with Givi's I would give these a look

https://acmemoto2.com/product/33-liter-motorcycle-panniers/

Leo compare to others including Givi
https://youtu.be/k2SjaLyXjsU

Before going with Givi's I would give these a look

https://acmemoto2.com/product/33-liter-motorcycle-panniers/

Leo compare to others including Givi
https://youtu.be/k2SjaLyXjsU

Thanks - - hadn't seen those. But they are more expensive and not as "plug and play" (to use Leo's words) as I would like.

And Leo's discussion of the Givi Trekkers was helpful too - - he actually reviewed them quite favorably. His primary gripe was that they are side-loaders, and the top-load feature was not wide enough for him.

I plan to set-up the smaller "downhill" case (on the side-stand side) as a top loader with quick-grab items readily handy. The larger case will contain items not needed while on the road and will be a side-loader, being on the "uphill" side of the bike the angle will be more favorable when opening. And either one can be removed readily and set like a suitcase on a flat surface for easier access/packing.

The Givi 46L will accept a full-face helmet, and it as well as the 33L are interchangeable as topcases. The price is much more attractive, too.

Last edited:
Back