Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Changing My Own Tires? - Requesting Sage Advice

Quote Originally Posted by jbtex View Post
    What is unique to especially the R1200RT I can pick up from here. :-)
    Well, I can tell you that a Harley tire change is a breeze in comparison to an RT, so don't put much weight on other people's experiences on other branded motorcycles, except, perhaps Goldwing. They are a b**** too. I never had any issues with tire changes until I tried to do my buddy's K1600. We gave up and took it to a local shop. I stocked up on irons and rim protectors after that and studied a few Youtube vids.

BMW rims do not have much drop center so getting that last few inches of bead to slide over the rim is a pain. That is where the rim protectors and the tire irons come to play. I will run the tire on as far as I can with the Mojolever, then get the last of it the old fashioned way, sweat and irons. To give you an idea, on a Harley rim I can lube up the first bead and slap the tire on without tools. The BMW takes tire irons and a few swear words and the second bead is more fun yet!
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Quote Originally Posted by craigjv4 View Post
    When I was riding my GSXR 750 track only bike, I changed all my tires. Like others wrote, local shops wouldn't mount internet purchased tires.

I only used a home made 2x4 frame, rim protectors and spoons. It was ALOT of work.

I'm not willing to do this for my GS when I only need tires every couple years. I just remove the wheels and bring them to the shop.

I also used a Marc Parnes balancer and it worked very well. I never had a vibration even at 140+ mph.

I forgot about this balancer and will probably sell it.
    I may be interested in your Marc Parnes balancer. From his lineup on his site, do you remember which model you have? http://www.marcparnes.com
    Tech on Two Wheels: 2018 R1200RT Mars Red (Mine), 2019 F750GS Silver Metallic (Mine), 2018 G310GS Red (My Wife's)

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    Well, I can tell you that a Harley tire change is a breeze in comparison to an RT, so don't put much weight on other people's experiences on other branded motorcycles, except, perhaps Goldwing. They are a b**** too. I never had any issues with tire changes until I tried to do my buddy's K1600. We gave up and took it to a local shop. I stocked up on irons and rim protectors after that and studied a few Youtube vids.

BMW rims do not have much drop center so getting that last few inches of bead to slide over the rim is a pain. That is where the rim protectors and the tire irons come to play. I will run the tire on as far as I can with the Mojolever, then get the last of it the old fashioned way, sweat and irons. To give you an idea, on a Harley rim I can lube up the first bead and slap the tire on without tools. The BMW takes tire irons and a few swear words and the second bead is more fun yet!
    Very valuable input and exactly the kind of heads-up I am looking for. Did you use anything like a No-Mar changer, or all just hand tools like the irons you mentioned?
    Tech on Two Wheels: 2018 R1200RT Mars Red (Mine), 2019 F750GS Silver Metallic (Mine), 2018 G310GS Red (My Wife's)

For those of you who are using the No-Mar, would you consider the Posi-Clamps and the XtraHand Clamps a must, especially for the 1200RT tires?

The Posi-clamps work very well. Get the longer version for GS/GSA wheels.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

I have a HF changer, I've probably changed 100 tires on it, I added the Mojo Blocks https://www.mojotiretools.com/mojoblocks.htm. $30 to grip the wheel properly, threw away the Harbor Freight Bar and purchased a Mojo Lever, then added A " Mod" to the Mojo Lever to keep the tire on the lever correctly. I use a " Yellow Thing" that I think is a Nomar piece to keep the tire from moving on the rim. I have two Harbor Freight "Tar Ahrns" for those stubborn Roadsmart IIIs and T31's.

To go this route you need:

https://www.harborfreight.com/motorc...ent-60810.html. $37.99

https://www.harborfreight.com/manual...ger-69686.html. ( your local welding shop can probably make you a Trailer Hitch Mount that you can easily connect the Motorcycle Attachment to for about the same cost as this $41.99 piece that you don't need unless you plan on doing car tires too.

two each https://www.harborfreight.com/24-inc...ron-93230.html $6 each

https://www.mojotiretools.com/mojoweb.htm $144

The George Mod to the Mojo Lever

I use a bungee cord to retract my bead breaker and two pieces of 2x6 on the floor under the tire/wheel when I break the bead.
    I have found no need to ever remove a brake disc before breaking a bead or changing a tire.

If you want to balance your tires you will need a tire balancing device. I recommend the Marc Parnes balanced as the guy that made mine is no longer making them. http://www.marcparnes.com $115 - he makes a great adapter for the BMW S/S Swingarm wheels.

This all totals to about $250 plus some freight.

I also have a 3/4" Cold Rolled Steel Rod that is threaded on one end (3/4" x 6 TPI as I recall) to screw into the HF Tire Machine in place of their funky center brace and pivot point tube. This Rod will fit through the Front and Rear of most big bike wheel bearings it is not used on the BMW Rear wheels.
    I had to have a second slimmer rod made to fit through smaller 21" Dirt Bike Front wheels.
    You need "Cold Rolled Steel" if you don't want your rod to bend when you are installing a stiff casing tire with your bar.
    The only dumb question is the unasked question - Anonymous

Eat every Ham Sandwich like it is your last Ham Sandwich! - Anonymous

For those of you who are using the No-Mar, would you consider the Posi-Clamps and the XtraHand Clamps a must, especially for the 1200RT tires?
    I use the tall Posi-Clamps and a pair of Yellow Things and a handful of 1 x 2 x 5 red oak blocks.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST 1984 R80 G/S-PD 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C 2010 K1300GT 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

I change tires by hand. I have a car wheel welded waist high to a steel post. The wheel is edged with rubber hose. The post is perforated well pipe and has a threaded rod down the center of the post which can be adjusted vertically. I have a 40 year old JC Whitney bead breaker. I use 14 inch tire irons.

Some tires are easy. Some are not. The most pesky were 21 inch tube type front wheels on my F650 Dakar. Fitting that tube with so little space was just aggravating. ME880s on our K75 rear wheels were pretty stiff. Michelin Pilot Roads on our Oilheads have been pretty easy.

My worst experience was removing a 30 year old Continental RB2 from a barn find Airhead a friend bought. I had to use my saber saw to cut the beads to get the tire off.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

2000 was a good year for tech articles

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away - apologies to all Star Wars fans.

2000-10 Bench Wrenching - Changing Your Own Tires.pdf

Wayne Koppa
    Grayling, MI
    #71,449

Very valuable input and exactly the kind of heads-up I am looking for. Did you use anything like a No-Mar changer, or all just hand tools like the irons you mentioned?

Mentioned I have the Harbor Freight tire changer in another post. I use it with my BMW tires, but more to hold the rim.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    I use the tall Posi-Clamps and a pair of Yellow Things and a handful of 1 x 2 x 5 red oak blocks.

Best,
    DeVern
    How are you using the wood blocks? I've seen one of No-Mar's videos where they use wood blocks to change a Gold Wing tire. Similary to how you use them?

I bought these spring loaded rim clamps to help keep the tire positioned. They work well.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnsd View Post
    The George Mod to the Mojo Lever
    Yes, that is awesome. The lip on my mojolever is not quite tall enough to keep the tire in place while I am working my yellow-hand into place.

How are you using the wood blocks? I've seen one of No-Mar's videos where they use wood blocks to change a Gold Wing tire. Similary to how you use them?
    Yes, for keeping the bead down in the center well as the tire is levered on.

DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST 1984 R80 G/S-PD 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C 2010 K1300GT 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

I may be interested in your Marc Parnes balancer. From his lineup on his site, do you remember which model you have? http://www.marcparnes.com
    Message sent.

Mine is 16" over all length; looks like most shown on his site are now 12". I believe the Suzuki, Kawasaki, etc..., Universal versions are all the same. Just two identical adjustable cones and two identical bearings on each end. The axle is a solid, straight shaft; it's not necked down on each end to use smaller bearings. The bearings can slide down the shaft.
    2015 GSA