Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Changing My Own Tires? - Requesting Sage Advice

Quote Originally Posted by rick601 View Post
    I DO understand the pleasure of doing ones own work- even if it is occasionally more costly than what a shop might get (tooling costs for me!) So with understanding the joy and with respect, I don't see a "many times over" saving...even if one replaces an entire set of tires every two years, a one bike owner would buy 5 sets in ten years- at $30per (you remove the tire) thats $300 in ten years- not many times a $1000 investment. I have four bikes- so maybe I'd save CLOSE to the $1000 (I couldn't burn four sets every two years so ...the math gets fuzzy) lol I was happy to be able to throw some work to my local motorcycle shop (non BMW). On the other hand...if a friend had a tire machine and balancer...where do you live?
    Hi Rick. My location is in my profile. On the wet and left side.
    You are you, and I am me. I stated I spent $1,000 but that didn't explain the number and types of bikes I've owned, and that has changed since then, and so has the collection of "accessories". I have many or most of them. I have 4 very different bikes in my garage now, and have had up to 6 during transitions. Harleys, dual-sports, sport-touring, sport. Tubeless and tubed, deep center drop and shallow as well, with TPMS and not, wide and thin, tall and short, spoked and one-piece, single sided and double sided, painted and chrome, super rigid sidewalls and flexible, low profile and tall.

Mine all got/get new shoes every year, and like Boxflyer (and a couple others here) I'll mount brand new tires for long trips, and then save them for remount when back home just for riding local or as "emergency" replacements. My 2 track bikes go through tires like crazy (3 sets minimum per season each), and I have friends and family that ride as well. And,... there is the occasional flat tire I won't trust until patched from the inside that causes another mount/remount cycle. I have no idea where you can get a $30 mount (each) without spending the time taking your wheels off yourself, then taking them someplace to have new rubber mounted and balanced (whenever they can get to it), and then buying those tires from that place at an inflated (pun) price.

My experience has been that the money I "save" is based on internet purchases of the tires I want, at the times they are offered at low(er) prices, plus my time versus a tire place's rate & inflated prices. Even taking one track bike out of the equation and up to $75/set saving for tires alone, I am sure I save a minimum of 9 x $75 = $675 every year, and 9 x $50 = $450 a year on installation charges. That's $1,125 a YEAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman48 View Post
    You are you, and I am me. I stated I spent $1,000 but that didn't explain the number and types of bikes I've owned, and that has changed since then, and so has the collection of "accessories". I have many or most of them. I have 4 very different bikes in my garage now, and have had up to 6 during transitions. Harleys, dual-sports, sport-touring, sport. Tubeless and tubed, deep center drop and shallow as well, with TPMS and not, wide and thin, tall and short, spoked and one-piece, single sided and double sided, painted and chrome, super rigid sidewalls and flexible, low profile and tall.

Mine all got/get new shoes every year, and like Boxflyer (and a couple others here) I'll mount brand new tires for long trips, and then save them for remount when back home just for riding local or as "emergency" replacements. My 2 track bikes go through tires like crazy (3 sets minimum per season each), and I have friends and family that ride as well. And,... there is the occasional flat tire I won't trust until patched from the inside that causes another mount/remount cycle. I have no idea where you can get a $30 mount (each) without spending the time taking your wheels off yourself, then taking them someplace to have new rubber mounted and balanced (whenever they can get to it), and then buying those tires from that place at an inflated (pun) price.

My experience has been that the money I "save" is based on internet purchases of the tires I want, at the times they are offered at low(er) prices, plus my time versus a tire place's rate & inflated prices. Even taking one track bike out of the equation and up to $75/set saving for tires alone, I am sure I save a minimum of 9 x $75 = $675 every year, and 9 x $50 = $450 a year on installation charges. That's $1,125 a YEAR.
    As I am exploring which route to take with needing tire changes (see original post), I too am in a situation where multiple bikes need them done. Between the three bikes listed, we also have a little Honda CBR250R that we practice on in a parking lot and a 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 I converted into a bobber, which I am selling soon. It too needs new tires before it's leaving the garage.

My wife and I are discussing our various motorcycling preferences (touring, a bit of off-roading, riding county gravel roads, going on trips, etc.) and the tires we want to use. Having a tire changing setup at home affords us the ability to experiment with different tires. Remember that we are relatively new to motorcycling, so don't have the breadth of experience others have, including which tires they have settled on.

For example, on my wife's G310GS we have the Anakee Wild. They require replacement fairly soon. We talked about trying the new Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires on the bike, as it promises improved handling on and off pavement. She really likes the Anakee Wild, but is interested to see how the Dunlop perform for her.

If she doesn't like the Dunlop, we take them off, put them on my F750GS for me to try, and then put a new set of Anakee Wild on her GS. That's a lot of changing around tires and I really don't want to spend a couple of afternoons taking wheels in and then picking them up a couple days later. The local mobile tire service wants something like $110 per tire set. Doing the math puts perspective into the mix.

All that to say that there are different circumstances where a $1,000 investment in the proper tools makes perfect sense. Do I want to spend that kind of money? Not really. However, in the grand scheme of things and considering everything involved, it may afford flexibility, conservation of engergy, and other aspects that make it worth it. :-)
    Tech on Two Wheels: 2018 R1200RT Mars Red (Mine), 2019 F750GS Silver Metallic (Mine), 2018 G310GS Red (My Wife's)

I DO understand the pleasure of doing ones own work- even if it is occasionally more costly than what a shop might get (tooling costs for me!) So with understanding the joy and with respect, I don't see a "many times over" saving...even if one replaces an entire set of tires every two years, a one bike owner would buy 5 sets in ten years- at $30per (you remove the tire) thats $300 in ten years- not many times a $1000 investment. I have four bikes- so maybe I'd save CLOSE to the $1000 (I couldn't burn four sets every two years so ...the math gets fuzzy) lol I was happy to be able to throw some work to my local motorcycle shop (non BMW). On the other hand...if a friend had a tire machine and balancer...where do you live?
    For me it is a convenience thing. I can change tires when I want. I have changed tires at 2AM when I was just feeling like being out in the shop. Also, what started it for me was dropping the motorcycle off at the shop, getting a ride home, then back again. I can spend more time bringing the bike to and from the shop than it takes to just change the tire myself.

Plus, I go through at least one rear tire a year, and often just change them both at the same time.

Also,I have the Horrible Freight tire changer with the Mojolever. About $200 invested, maybe $300 with tire irons and rim protectors.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman48 View Post

Well-clearly it makes sense for you!! My space, budget and leisurly life style make the local (responsive) shop my tire preferance. I too have four bikes but a fairly stable stable- so not a lot of tire changing- oil on the other hand!!

Well-clearly it makes sense for you!! My space, budget and leisurly life style make the local (responsive) shop my tire preferance. I too have four bikes but a fairly stable stable- so not a lot of tire changing- oil on the other hand!!
    Ha! Careful there, lest we get sucked into the "Oil Thread Wormhole".

And yes, indeed. Much of servicing a motorcycle is governed by access, convenience, mechanical abilities, age, physical condition, space, financial resources, interests, and so many other factors. I wish I would have access to a full machine shop. I'd love to rebuild classic bikes and marvel at what this master does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgmuTQuYHxI

The point is that we have these amazing machines we can choose to work on and enjoy the process doing so, or let someone else maintain them and just enjoy the riding part.
    Tech on Two Wheels: 2018 R1200RT Mars Red (Mine), 2019 F750GS Silver Metallic (Mine), 2018 G310GS Red (My Wife's)