• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Chain drive vs shaft or belt drive

One could always put bags and a skid plate on an $800 Honda CX500 Deluxe and have nearly everything.
Shaft drive, liquid cooling, big tank, comfy seat, tubeless tires, ease of maintenance, reliability ...

Seriously, it’s a shame you can’t buy something like that new anymore!

I doubt it will happen, but if the rumored 700-800cc Africa Twin has a shaft drive, boy that would make it just about the perfect bike in my book. Meanwhile, chains it is, and it’s not a bad compromise at all.

Well, there were some issues with the rear hubs on F800 bikes but beyond that I doubt there’s much difference between BMW and other manufacturers on chain drives. And, a high percentage of chain and sprocket replacements are sourced from vendors other than BMW so once the OEM equipment is used up it’s hard to compare or track chain and sprocket life between marques.

As stated in earlier posts, chain and sprocket durability is more dependent upon proper care and maintenance from the owner than from any other factor.

Best,
DeVern

That was a belt drive sprocket, wasn't it?

That was a belt drive sprocket, wasn't it?

The F800GS had some issues with rear bearings in the hub. Seemed more of a bearing quality issue, but some felt there was a problem with some hubs being too tight a fit for the bearings.

On the S, ST, and R, yes. But IIRC early F800GS bikes had the issue as well.

Best,
DeVern

On my F800GS there was a recall on the chain. I think it was a suspect quality issue that was resolved by the dealer at no charge.

The F800GS had some issues with rear bearings in the hub. Seemed more of a bearing quality issue, but some felt there was a problem with some hubs being too tight a fit for the bearings.

I had an experience with bearings on the rear of the F800GS, documented in the F-Twin index-

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?73076-Rear-wheel-bearings-on-a-F800GS

That experience let me realize that “sealed” bearings was not what I thought.

OM

My experience with drive shafts and chains

I had a R100GS for 30 years. I had to replace the drive shaft about every 70k miles. Last time the price for the shaft was $730. Took me about 3 hours to complete the work.

For my F700GS I replaced the chain at 19k miles at $185 for the changin+sprockets. Takes me about 1 hour to complete the work.

In both cases I did the work myself. The price difference for the parts over 70k miles: $50 more for the shaft.

But it was really nice to have nothing else to do with the shaft until next time. Especially coming home from a dirty dirt ride!

I give the chain a cleaning/lubrication at least every 1k miles. It takes only 20 minutes but it's always a bit messy.

Make a bike with an 650-800cc motor and and a drive shaft and I buy it in an instant. BMW had done it in the past!

/Guenther

Last edited:
I was trying to keep it short. The service mgr broke it down into the costs attending final drive major maintenance vs replacement of chains and sprockets over 100K miles. So an important variable in his answer is enough mileage to bring these factors into play equally. And for the record, he's the best BMW tech I've ever dealt with and I've recommended him repeatedly to unanimous satisfaction.
Well, he's right if you're talking about some BMWs, mostly '06 -'08 but if the question was asked to other brands services managers they'd answer what major service?
My three last bikes, different brands, had shafts and final drives and none required more that yearly fluid replacement. While this is only anecdotal, you rarely hear of Kawasakis, Hondas or Yamahas having issues with their final drives.

To answer the OP, chains are fine on modern bikes. It's just a little more regular maintenance and a replacement every 20, 30K km. No big deal.
Like everything else, a bike's design is a compromise. If the bike is to be sold at a certain price range, a shaft drive means higher parts cost for a final drive. The designers would have to reduce costs elsewhere or increase the sales price.

My "First had money" years was in the early 1980s when all the Japanese brands were offering shaft drive options for folks that wanted to tour on their bikes. Getting rid of the chain drive was a no-brainer at that time. BMW had several decades of proven reliability to demonstrate viability of this approach.

Eventually, in the lean motorcycle market years of the late 80s and early 90s, the Japanese trimmed their mid-weight offerings and those shaft drive models disappeared to history. In the early 90s, with the R259 engine, BMW introduced the next gen shaft drive (paralever) with the mid-shaft u-joint to minimize the on/off throttle rear drive reaction (shaft jacking). At sometime in the 00s, "final drive failure" seemed to be the primary focus of forum. Some owners experienced it within 10K, others after 100K or more. What was the cause and which years were worse than others are topics of great debate. In my opinion, considering the ever increasing HP levels and the outsourcing of parts to the lowest cost suppliers ... Quality Control has failed to match performance level on several occasions.

With that being said......I'll stay with the shaft drive. If and when it isn't available, I'll consider all available alternatives.

Having experienced this elegant FD solution...

I put 23K miles on a '13 F800GT with its elegant belt FD. It was quiet, reliable, clean & more efficient than shaft driven designs. Besides looking kind of cool I find the fact the front & rear sprockets (as w/ chains) are all turning in the same plane as the crankshaft is just a very good thing compared to splines, u-joints and 90 degree changes of direction to just be the picture of inelegance and clunkines, and indeed my '16 RT does clunk here and there! I loved the ZERO maintanence for the belt drive. Plus one gets a warning when the belt is beginning to give up the ghost as you will see hairline cracks in the some of the teeth in the belt if you look now and again. I think the risk of a hard rear-wheel lock up due to a catastophic failure is greater in shafts than belts. They aren't great for off-road but my dream replacement for my RT as I age, besides losing 100lbs, would indeed be incorporating a belt drive, and to lose 100lbs and be 100% capable as a Sport Tourer w/ full on tech, performance AND comfort you would need the belt to help meet weight and power concerns.
2017-BMW-F-800-GT-8.jpg

I put 23K miles on a '13 F800GT with its elegant belt FD. It was quiet, reliable, clean & more efficient than shaft driven designs. Besides looking kind of cool I find the fact the front & rear sprockets (as w/ chains) are all turning in the same plane as the crankshaft is just a very good thing compared to splines, u-joints and 90 degree changes of direction to just be the picture of inelegance and clunkines, and indeed my '16 RT does clunk here and there! I loved the ZERO maintanence for the belt drive. Plus one gets a warning when the belt is beginning to give up the ghost as you will see hairline cracks in the some of the teeth in the belt if you look now and again. I think the risk of a hard rear-wheel lock up due to a catastophic failure is greater in shafts than belts. They aren't great for off-road but my dream replacement for my RT as I age, besides losing 100lbs, would indeed be incorporating a belt drive, and to lose 100lbs and be 100% capable as a Sport Tourer w/ full on tech, performance AND comfort you would need the belt to help meet weight and power concerns.
2017-BMW-F-800-GT-8.jpg

That's an option BMW chooses not to offer............

For the R-series, the drive shaft is in line with the output shaft of the motor. I think that's one of the big reasons they use a shaft drive on the R series.

For the R-series, the drive shaft is in line with the output shaft of the motor. I think that's one of the big reasons they use a shaft drive on the R series.

It means your drivetrain has one set of bevel gears at the rear hub instead of two like the transverse engined Yamaha FJR1300 or Kawasaki Concourse. A bevel gear might 1% less efficient than a spur.

It means your drivetrain has one set of bevel gears at the rear hub instead of two like the transverse engined Yamaha FJR1300 or Kawasaki Concourse. A bevel gear might 1% less efficient than a spur.

Are there any parallel twin engines with a driveshaft? That would be my ideal.

Growing up an older brother had a Honda Shadow 500 with a driveshaft. But that was a V-twin....

And yet if you survey F800GT/ST owners you will find a substantial to majority number of them identify the belt drive as a feature that went into their decision to buy the bike.

It was a nice belt drive. Unfortunately, BMW dropped it for something compatible with off-road operation and eliminated a separate drivetrain configuration. Economics.

Are there any parallel twin engines with a driveshaft? That would be my ideal.

Growing up an older brother had a Honda Shadow 500 with a driveshaft. But that was a V-twin....

IIRC Honda had transverse and inline V-twins and V4's with a shaft. Some where turbocharged.

Yamaha did ransverse Vee-twins and 3 and 4-cyl transverse engines with shaft drive.

Kawa and Suzuki did 4-cyl transverse engines with shafts.

Yamaha made a transverse Vee-twin, ala Moto Guzzi? I thought all the Yamaha vee-twins were in-line, like H-D.:scratch

Best,
DeVern

Guzzi has the crank inline with path of travel. It's transverse to an HD which has a tranverse crank

Back