• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

"BMW Motorrad Connected" app

ExGMan

I was looking around the Apple App Store today and found what may be a new app called "BMW Motorrad Connected." I DL/d it and started to look at it some. Seems like it can be used for routing. It also seems to be able to record data about the individual motorcycle through a BlueTooth connection. I haven't connected it to my RT yet, but will try that later.

Here's what you'll see if you go to the Apple App Store and use the name BMW Motorrad Connected:

IMG_2267.png

...and here what you'll see as the opening screen (but probably not my "Chestnut Hill" location):

IMG_2268.png

It’s designed to work with the TFT display on the newer bikes. It does provide information from the bike— service due date, fuel level and distance remaining, and a readout of stats matching what the bike displayed the last time app and bike were connected. Weather information and recording of trips is also available.

I don’t find the navigation piece useful except for inputting a local motel or restaurant so as to be able to navigate there without interfering with the route I’m currently running via the Nav VI. And even that hasn’t been useful enough to get me to keep my phone linked to the TFT display. BMW has a great idea with the TFT and the app, but it is a long, long way from being “ready for prime time” and the question is whether or not development on both will continue.

The two BT pieces of the TFT that seem to work very well are the phone call system and the media player, which plays stored media from the phone. But, I’ve since downloaded my music to the data card in the Nav VI and am running Nav, phone, weather, and media directly from the Nav VI—all are more functional and reliable that way.

I do hope BMW continues development on the app.

Best,
DeVern

It’s designed to work with the TFT display on the newer bikes. It does provide information from the bike— service due date, fuel level and distance remaining, and a readout of stats matching what the bike displayed the last time app and bike were connected. Weather information and recording of trips is also available.

I don’t find the navigation piece useful except for inputting a local motel or restaurant so as to be able to navigate there without interfering with the route I’m currently running via the Nav VI. And even that hasn’t been useful enough to get me to keep my phone linked to the TFT display. BMW has a great idea with the TFT and the app, but it is a long, long way from being “ready for prime time” and the question is whether or not development on both will continue.

The two BT pieces of the TFT that seem to work very well are the phone call system and the media player, which plays stored media from the phone. But, I’ve since downloaded my music to the data card in the Nav VI and am running Nav, phone, weather, and media directly from the Nav VI—all are more functional and reliable that way.

I do hope BMW continues development on the app.

Best,
DeVern

on my 2016 RT with Nav VI I can't link phone or media to the TFT- it demands (asks) that I have a helmet comm system ...neither will the Nav system seem to link with phone to play any media/ podcasts etc...IPhone X...I'd love to play stuff through the phone into the Bike- preferably through TFT and not Nav...and thoughts? or is there a Sena/Cardo in my future?

The connection to my phone and helmet constantly drop. I am not utilizing this feature due to the lack of "connectivity". I use the phone directly to my helmet which stinks because I'd like to control my phone with the magic wheel. Lots of bugs to work out.

on my 2016 RT with Nav VI I can't link phone or media to the TFT- it demands (asks) that I have a helmet comm system ...neither will the Nav system seem to link with phone to play any media/ podcasts etc...IPhone X...I'd love to play stuff through the phone into the Bike- preferably through TFT and not Nav...and thoughts? or is there a Sena/Cardo in my future?

I wasn’t aware that BMW offered the TFT instrument panel prior to 2017. For sure, before you try linking anything to the TFT on your bike you should hit the dealer’s service department and have all the firmware updated on all the electronic modules on the bike. That’s especially critical with the TFT. As for the headset, yes—one is required for phone use and probably media too.

Best,
DeVern

I wasn’t aware that BMW offered the TFT instrument panel prior to 2017. For sure, before you try linking anything to the TFT on your bike you should hit the dealer’s service department and have all the firmware updated on all the electronic modules on the bike. That’s especially critical with the TFT. As for the headset, yes—one is required for phone use and probably media too.

Best,
DeVern

Thanks- I have no idea what TFT is and from your comments I don’t need to know- cause I may not have it. But I will ask at dealer next time I’m there- probably due for an update of whatever it is I do have. I have no need for intercom but the sound system on the RTW is pretty poor at speed- might be worth looking into ears. Thanks

Thanks- I have no idea what TFT is and from your comments I don’t need to know- cause I may not have it. But I will ask at dealer next time I’m there- probably due for an update of whatever it is I do have. I have no need for intercom but the sound system on the RTW is pretty poor at speed- might be worth looking into ears. Thanks

Sorry, should have been more clear. Thin Film Transistor display that replaces the traditional speedo and tach. It is shown in the explanation of Connectivity here on BMW’s website.

Best,
DeVern

I use the BMW connected app for the X5 which has the idrive installed. It’s actually quite handy. The 2016 RT and 2009 328i are too early in production to incorporate the benifits of this tech. If I had a later model beemer with a TFT, I would definitely use the app.

I have a 2020 R1250GS and did not get the Nav Device. I use this app for directions, which displays to the TFT display the turns coming up, as well as voice to helmet if connected. Not the graphics a GPS device would display but works just find around town and shorter rides. The app will also show previous rides, speed, rpms, upcoming services, etc. It's a good addition to the existing TFT on the newer bikes. I also experience connection issue between my phone, TFT, and helmet. More times than not i disconnect from TFT and only connect helmet and iphone.

I find this feature to be a hit or miss adventure. 40% of the time it doesn't activate at startup. I suppose if I fiddled with it each time it didn't work, it would hookup. However, I'm not interested in rebooting each time it fails to respond.

I use the BMW connected app for the X5 which has the idrive installed. It’s actually quite handy. The 2016 RT and 2009 328i are too early in production to incorporate the benifits of this tech. If I had a later model beemer with a TFT, I would definitely use the app.

Just to avoid any confusion, the BMW Connected App (autos) and the BMW Motorrad Connected App (motorcycles) are two entirely different animals altogether.

"BMW Motorrad Connected" app

Ah! Sounds like you’re trying to stream music to the bike audio system from your phone. I don’t think that is doable.

Just load up your tunes to a USB thumb drive and plug it to the connector at your right glove box.

Tapatalk

Back