• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

100,000 km RT service!

So last week I took my 2016 R 1200 RT in to the dealer for it's 100,000 km servicing! Going through what was to be done with the service person I mentioned that I did not want the large neoprene cylinder head cover gasket replaced as it is basically an "O" ring and should be reusable! He stated they would not honor the warranty for the service if the gaskets were not replaced! They are $105.00 plus 14% tax EACH up here in Canada! Is this only my dealer doing this or is this common practice everywhere?:scratch:ca

So last week I took my 2016 R 1200 RT in to the dealer for it's 100,000 km servicing! Going through what was to be done with the service person I mentioned that I did not want the large neoprene cylinder head cover gasket replaced as it is basically an "O" ring and should be reusable! He stated they would not honor the warranty for the service if the gaskets were not replaced! They are $105.00 plus 14% tax EACH up here in Canada! Is this only my dealer doing this or is this common practice everywhere?:scratch:ca

Nonsense. He is attempting to pad the bill. If the bike is still under warranty, and the gasket is defective, then I guess he should be replacing it under warranty! On my last service they attempted get me to sign off on a new gasket at my expense. I called them on it and they relented.

What he said. ^

The worst thing they could do is not warranty a leak of that particular gasket.

And congrats for stacking up the mileage!

:dunno
4 or so years old, 62,000 or so miles..... I guess you could reuse them. I don’t even know what warranty a service has :scratch
All this new stuff is expensive to maintain and it seems that, liability wise, if oil leaked out...and got on the rear tire.....
Your asking the dealer to assume a risk they probably don’t want to take on. I had to drop off an ATV at the dealer today. I went as far as I could but got to where I needed to read the ECM. A “scanner” would cost me $1,050.00 with a 1 year license.
If you are getting good work done, be happy.
I find good work costs money to keep it good.
I’m hoping on the ATV.
OM

In a dealership, there are corporate guidelines starting with the appearance of the building down to the color of tile on the bathroom floor. Points are given for meeting the various corporate criteria. if at an audit you received 80 points, you got paid 80% of the allotted labour rate.

Service departments are not anywhere a gold mine and are often loss leaders to bring in sales.

The mantra is always up-sell the extras. If I quote $5k for a job and the customer tells me that down the road they were quoted $4.5K, I always say, have at 'er.

You would be surprised how many of those customers I see back in a few weeks wanting to spend the $5k for the original job but it's now $7k because we have to find the mistakes.

Internal warranty, mechanic's mistake, is taken out of service profits.

Back