• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Rallye Jacket or Others

Thanks everyone with the replies. I have to track down dealers for the suggestions to see how all of these fit me.

Back to the grind

If you decide on Olympia, I believe they have stopped selling in the USA.Anything you find will be a carryover from stock. I have owned several of their jackets and one set of AirGlide pants. Quailty is great and they are made for the "American cut" (Polite way of saying chubby)

I currently still wear an Olympia AirGlide jacket and MotoPort pants. Love both of them

If you decide on Olympia, I believe they have stopped selling in the USA.Anything you find will be a carryover from stock. I have owned several of their jackets and one set of AirGlide pants. Quailty is great and they are made for the "American cut" (Polite way of saying chubby)

I currently still wear an Olympia AirGlide jacket and MotoPort pants. Love both of them

Thanks for the tip.

I shopped the Rallye jacket, Klim and the BMW Enduro Guard. I ended up with the enduro guard and took it back a week later. The Rallye is a slim fit, I liked the enduro guard because it was waterproof, a different style and color. I took it back because the armor fits a little strange in the shoulders and forearms/elbows. I ended up with the Klim Badlands for the spring/fall and the Klim Induction air for the summer. Lots of mesh and its an American fit. Zipper is on the correct side also. Good luck!

Greg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm on my third iteration of the Rallye suit. BMW describes it as "regular fit", and I'd agree. I don't think it's a slim fit at all. I had tried the latest Klim Badlands, before I bought the latest Rallye suit, but I could never find a size that fit me. Medium was just a bit too tight, and the next size up, Large, was too big, with arms more suited to an ape (in terms of length). As someone else pointed out, with Euro sizing (like BMW uses), you end up with more choices than you do with Klim. I had also owned a BMW EnduroGuard suit for about five months, before getting the Rallye suit, but I returned the EnduroGuard for miserably failing the "waterproof" test, on a ride out west. My dealer took it back, no questions asked.

I'm on my third iteration of the Rallye suit. BMW describes it as "regular fit", and I'd agree. I don't think it's a slim fit at all. I had tried the latest Klim Badlands, before I bought the latest Rallye suit, but I could never find a size that fit me. Medium was just a bit too tight, and the next size up, Large, was too big, with arms more suited to an ape (in terms of length). As someone else pointed out, with Euro sizing (like BMW uses), you end up with more choices than you do with Klim. I had also owned a BMW EnduroGuard suit for about five months, before getting the Rallye suit, but I returned the EnduroGuard for miserably failing the "waterproof" test, on a ride out west. My dealer took it back, no questions asked.

I liked the rallye suit but i have more of a rounded stomach. The Klim fit my arms - 36” sleeves and its loose enough that when i get the inflatable vest for underneath, it will fit. I agree with you about the euro guard. I liked the styling and color, but the fit was too awkward and i was questioning the water proof. It seemed more water resistant. The hard part when buying Klim and BMW is the dealers usually don’t stock the Tall sizes, and I hate paying restocking fees and return shipping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rally jacket

I`ve purchased a preowned Rallye on the market place and a number of other items you can save a lot and also I have found the members to be easy and honest deal with ,try to get an older Rallye with the removable mesh liner with the armour in it great for a real hot day and the sleeves are removable as compared to the newer ones and your still safe. One other thing don't lose a liner you will have to buy them used and hard to find. The new Rally has a arm and shoulder set up which I have but it leaves you without back armour when removed, as with all motorcycle gear you should try it on if you can. Good luck and safe riding !

I really like my Klim Adventure suit but I'm guessing too warm for down there and the sticker shock might knock you over.

Rallye Jacket liner...Over or Under the Suit in the rain?

I bought a used Rallye Jacket/pants combo and was told the liners can be worn over or under the set... is that true? I'd like to use them as rain gear and wear over the pieces but not sure how well they'll work. Seems like wearing under the jacket would make it mighty cold with evaporative cooling.

Thanks!

If you decide on Olympia, I believe they have stopped selling in the USA. Anything you find will be a carryover from stock. I have owned several of their jackets and one set of AirGlide pants. Quailty is great and they are made for the "American cut" (Polite way of saying chubby)

+1 on this. I was looking for Olympia gear, could not find any and discovered they are not (at least for now) selling in the US. You may also run into outages with other brands. Hard to find the Klim Latitude XL in anything but black. Retailers do not when (if?) they will be able to restock.

I`ve purchased a preowned Rallye on the market place and a number of other items you can save a lot and also I have found the members to be easy and honest deal with ,try to get an older Rallye with the removable mesh liner with the armour in it great for a real hot day and the sleeves are removable as compared to the newer ones and your still safe. One other thing don't lose a liner you will have to buy them used and hard to find. The new Rally has a arm and shoulder set up which I have but it leaves you without back armour when removed, as with all motorcycle gear you should try it on if you can. Good luck and safe riding !

Yes, the jacket liner is oversized to go over the jacket. I have done this several times, very convenient and practical. If you wear an air bag, like I do, remember to put it under your Helite system, you don’t want to compromise the expansion of your airbag system and implode your lungs.

I bought a used Rallye Jacket/pants combo and was told the liners can be worn over or under the set... is that true? I'd like to use them as rain gear and wear over the pieces but not sure how well they'll work. Seems like wearing under the jacket would make it mighty cold with evaporative cooling.

Thanks!

That depends on which version of the Rallye suit you bought. I have three versions in my closet, so I can tell you that they're not all the same with regard to the liners. Starting in about 2018 (I think), the jacket "liner" was sized to go over the Rallye jacket, if you chose to do that. Pant liners of all three versions I have (the latest I bought was 2018) are all meant to be worn under the Rallye pants.

Yes, the jacket liner is oversized to go over the jacket. I have done this several times, very convenient and practical. If you wear an air bag, like I do, remember to put it under your Helite system, you don’t want to compromise the expansion of your airbag system and implode your lungs.

I'm in the market to get a new jacket. And am late to the party on wearable airbags. What's the scoop on them? I see a couple of jackets with airbags, but looks like the airbag vest is the preferred way to acquiring this rider protection. My searches of the internet have found plenty of products to buy, nothing that reviews products, or explains the preferred solution.

Thanks in advance...

Thanks!

If its raining the liner would be on the outside, and on the inside for cold weather. Thats what I was told. I just bought the Blue and Grey Rally size 58 from a dealer in VA. I have my eye on a Klim but there sizing is different than other companies. One dealer told me he spent over a 1000 dollars on a Klim coat and he has to rolled the cuffs up on the arms. I tried the induction 2 summers ago looks wise it was great, fit wise, either to big or to small.

I'm fortunate enough to have accumulated multiple jackets over the years.
My fave is my Roadcrafter. (spring fall) I have Klim latitude when it is not cool enough for the Roadcrafter and I have the Klim Marrakesh for summer riding. Some days its my BMW airshell and jeans (really really humid and hot)

Different tools for different jobs

I'm fortunate enough to have accumulated multiple jackets over the years.
My fave is my Roadcrafter. (spring fall) I have Klim latitude when it is not cool enough for the Roadcrafter and I have the Klim Marrakesh for summer riding. Some days its my BMW airshell and jeans (really really humid and hot)

Different tools for different jobs

Posts like this mean a great deal more if readers have some sense of the writer's location and climate.

I'm bumping this thread to get feedback on how people use their Rallye jackets. Specifically regarding different weather. I came from a Klim Badlands that had a couple hot spots that would cause me discomfort on long rides. I had a rain breach in the jacket last spring and decided I wanted to try the more layered approach to managing the climate.

First, the "liners."
Jacket "liner"
I tried the liners as liners yesterday just to break some wind in 50 degree weather. The jacket zipper leaves metal contact to the neck and wreaked havoc on my neck.
So, this absolutely must be worn over the jacket for me. Fine.
Pant liner - I didn't use quotes around liner here because these work as intended.

So, I don't want to wear an over jacket all winter long here in Vegas and I can't say I've loved the wind getting through the Rallye jacket shell in this weather (will be wonderful in the summer). Does everyone have a mid/base layer that blocks wind or do you just layer extra underneath?

For rain it seems I'm in a position to either wear the pant liners at the start of the ride where there might be rain, or plan to pull over and add them at the threat of rain in hot weather. That seems less than ideal stripping my pants off to get a liner in on the side of the road.
So, do most people just keep a one piece rain suit and pretty much ditch the BMW liners completely?

The comfort of the Rallye jacket in 70 plus degrees and dry conditions is wonderful compared to the Klim I've been using for the last 5 years, but ditching the Gore Tex and needing a more complex decision matrix with all the layers is making me think the layered approach may not be the right one for me. Hoping maybe some others will have some ideas and feedback I haven't thought of.

Posts like this mean a great deal more if readers have some sense of the writer's location and climate.

Roadcrafter:30 to 50 degrees 0 to 35 % humidity
latitude: 50 to 70 degrees 40 to 60 % humidity
Marrakesh 70 to 85 ish 60 to 80% humidity
BMW above 80 to 100 degrees and above 80% humidity
Some overlap of course
Mid Atlantic
Hope the clarification helps

Roadcrafter:30 to 50 degrees 0 to 35 % humidity
latitude: 50 to 70 degrees 40 to 60 % humidity
Marrakesh 70 to 85 ish 60 to 80% humidity
BMW above 80 to 100 degrees and above 80% humidity
Some overlap of course
Mid Atlantic
Hope the clarification helps

Roadcrafter 20F to 85F
Darian 45F to 120F
Roadgear Mesh 85F up, if only 25 to 50 miles.

I'm in the market to get a new jacket. And am late to the party on wearable airbags. What's the scoop on them? I see a couple of jackets with airbags, but looks like the airbag vest is the preferred way to acquiring this rider protection. My searches of the internet have found plenty of products to buy, nothing that reviews products, or explains the preferred solution.

Thanks in advance...

This is the best review I’ve seen on the internet. I personally wear the Helite turtle.

https://youtu.be/N2jZryt607U

I have 4 jackets. Here is my ranking

1) BMW Club Leather Jacket - It is leather, need I say more? Downside: No back/spine protection, boo!

2) Klim Induction Jacket - Great fit, quality construction and armor great air movement. I ride/commute in I-95 traffic from Fredericksburg VA to Washington DC and Back regularly and its not bad in the heat.

3) Firstgear Kathmandu Jacket - Decent armor, this is the jacket I generally wear when ridding below 70*. Anything above that is just not comfortable even with the liner removed and all vents open.

4) Joe Rocket Velocity Jacket - This was first inexpensive vented jacket I purchased. It has marginal armor and vents fairly well. I will say I was in a bad wreck back in 2018 wearing that jacket. It help up excellently and is perfectly serviceable once I replaced the elbow armor. I keep it for the occasional passenger ride.

Rallye suit thoughts

Very comfortable
Great venting, used on eastern part of TAT 65-100 temps last Aug. Nice to have the hydration pack in the jacket.
Temps below ~60 I use the shell over the jacket to add a wind barrier. I use the pants liner if it is not going to warm up above that 60 degree temp.
For any rain and you need a rain suit over the jacket and pants or you will be wearing a 50 lb sponge. The outer jacket shell works well, I wear rain paints over the top and don't count on the inner liner.
Cleans up well, pull the protectors and just dump jacket and pants in washing machine and hang to dry. 12k miles and looks like new.
Jacket and pants zip together with a long zip or the short zip. If you have different size jacket and pants the long zips are not the same length.
Pants are roomy in the legs and can fit knee braces and can go over the top of a motocross boot
I added suspenders to pants.

This is my go to suit for late June - early Sept kind of trips.

Back