• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Rallye Jacket or Others

hubigpie

I've searched some post but I haven't really found the info I am looking for.

Just getting back into riding and I am looking for a jacket that can be used all year around. Might not be possible but one can dream.

I've heard some decent things about the BMW Rallye jacket. The humidity and heat are brutal in Louisiana (90-100 both) so I'm not sure if it is the right jacket for me. Open to suggestions. The bike will be used for commuting and weekend fun. It also rains almost everyday so would like some type of rain protections.

Do y'all own multiple jackets? Not sure I could afford that.

Edit: getting a Alpinestar Tech Air 5 to wear underneath of whatever.

Thanks

Last edited:
The Ralley jacket will work fine for year round riding while also offering great protection.
I live in S Florida so I hear you on heat and humidity and am on my second suit as I wore out the first one..:D YMMV

I use an Olympia Dakar jacket and Olympia Airglide pants. Both have plenty of mesh and provide excellent venting. I ride these in up to 100F degrees.

012 cropped sm.jpg

Both came with wind breakers which I can easily put over the pants and jacket. Together with the in-liner of the jacket and some more warm clothes underneath I can comfortably ride down to 40F degrees. The wind breakers pack small but they are not water proof.

If it gets below 40F I put my heated vest underneath which works for me - tested - in 25F degrees.

The jacket and pants I have are no longer available. But my point is the mesh and the wind breaker make it all year round. There are still models with these features available.

/Guenther

Last edited:
Rally Jacket... Lower Alabama commuter year round

294538FE-2618-4CC3-A4BC-371ACE2B247B.jpeg

I wear mine with a Helite over it and a full fairing R1200RT year round in the southern heat and rain, no issue for the acclimated rider (which it sounds like you are. The rain liner is designed to go over the jacket, which is nice, just be sure to put it under the inflatable vest if you wear one, don’t want to crush the ribs.

I’ve been wearing BMW riding gear for years now, I am well pleased with the rally top and bottom.

I'm a fan of Motoport. Jackets are custom made to your dimensions, zip out waterproof liner, and thermal liner for colder weather. I've found with the waterproof liner out, just the right amount of air pass's through the weave of the jacket to promote good evaporative cooling using an LD comfort shirt. The liner is quick to install in the case of rain and in cooler weather blocks wind very effectively. Lots of options for additional reflective stripes and add on pockets should you desire. I would advise against the florescent yellow, my stained terribly after only a couple of seasons.

I recently bought a used Olympia Ranger 4-season jacket and I've been riding my R1150RT with it in 95-degree heat. The legendary RT wind protection works against you in the heat, but with the windshield all the way down I get enough airflow to stay pretty comfortable. I haven't had a chance to test its rain resistance nor its cool/cold weather performance.

I shopped the Rallye jacket, Klim and the BMW Enduro Guard. I ended up with the enduro guard and took it back a week later. The Rallye is a slim fit, I liked the enduro guard because it was waterproof, a different style and color. I took it back because the armor fits a little strange in the shoulders and forearms/elbows. I ended up with the Klim Badlands for the spring/fall and the Klim Induction air for the summer. Lots of mesh and its an American fit. Zipper is on the correct side also. Good luck!

Greg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I went through a lot of Jackets before I landed on the Klim Latitude.

I've worn it in the cold and in the heat, in the dry and in the wet, in Hot Louisiana and in the Cold of the NWT.

I'm on my second set of Latitude Gear and have around 100,000 miles on the two sets.

I sold the first set for half of what I paid for it after 65,000 miles.

My key to comfort is the LDComfort base layer underneath the jacket.

Just that base layer keeps me comfortable from 50-55F to 90F, above 90F I soak the sleeves of the LDComfort shirt, close all the jacket vents, open the collar and adjust the air flow through the sleeves to maintain cooling. It works for me in both low and high humidity, better in low humidity to be certain, but still effective in the near tropical Southern environment too.

I get my Klim gear through Alex at WWW.blackhillsmoto.com call him for the best prices.

The Ralley jacket will work fine for year round riding while also offering great protection.
I live in S Florida so I hear you on heat and humidity and am on my second suit as I wore out the first one..:D YMMV

Your weather is pretty much like ours in Louisiana so this is the review I actually needed. Thanks

I use an Olympia Dakar jacket and Olympia Airglide pants. Both have plenty of mesh and provide excellent venting. I ride these in up to 100F degrees.

View attachment 79823

Both came with wind breakers which I can easily put over the pants and jacket. Together with the in-liner of the jacket and some more warm clothes underneath I can comfortably ride down to 40F degrees. The wind breakers pack small but they are not water proof.

If it gets below 40F I put my heated vest underneath which works for me - tested - in 25F degrees.

The jacket and pants I have are no longer available. But my point is the mesh and the wind breaker make it all year round. There are still models with these features available.

/Guenther

Thanks for taking the time out to post. Unfortunately the BMW dealership in Baton Rouge closed so I cannot try it on. Do they run true to size?

View attachment 79819

I wear mine with a Helite over it and a full fairing R1200RT year round in the southern heat and rain, no issue for the acclimated rider (which it sounds like you are. The rain liner is designed to go over the jacket, which is nice, just be sure to put it under the inflatable vest if you wear one, don’t want to crush the ribs.

I’ve been wearing BMW riding gear for years now, I am well pleased with the rally top and bottom.

Thanks for the review and tip. Hopefully I will never have to use my airbag but

I recently bought a used Olympia Ranger 4-season jacket and I've been riding my R1150RT with it in 95-degree heat. The legendary RT wind protection works against you in the heat, but with the windshield all the way down I get enough airflow to stay pretty comfortable. I haven't had a chance to test its rain resistance nor its cool/cold weather performance.

My main concern is the heat and humidity. We do get cold weather but I will just turn up the heat on my bike. Just got to find out what knob that is.

I'm a fan of Motoport. Jackets are custom made to your dimensions, zip out waterproof liner, and thermal liner for colder weather. I've found with the waterproof liner out, just the right amount of air pass's through the weave of the jacket to promote good evaporative cooling using an LD comfort shirt. The liner is quick to install in the case of rain and in cooler weather blocks wind very effectively. Lots of options for additional reflective stripes and add on pockets should you desire. I would advise against the florescent yellow, my stained terribly after only a couple of seasons.

Glad you recommended these guys as I have never heard of them before. The airbag I am looking at goes underneath the jacket so this might be the best bet.

Another vote for Olympia

I shopped the Rallye jacket, Klim and the BMW Enduro Guard. I ended up with the enduro guard and took it back a week later. The Rallye is a slim fit, I liked the enduro guard because it was waterproof, a different style and color. I took it back because the armor fits a little strange in the shoulders and forearms/elbows. I ended up with the Klim Badlands for the spring/fall and the Klim Induction air for the summer. Lots of mesh and its an American fit. Zipper is on the correct side also. Good luck!

Greg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been packing the Covid pounds on so slim fit might not work for me. All that rice and gumbo and rice and shrimp stews and dirty rice and

I went through a lot of Jackets before I landed on the Klim Latitude.

I've worn it in the cold and in the heat, in the dry and in the wet, in Hot Louisiana and in the Cold of the NWT.

I'm on my second set of Latitude Gear and have around 100,000 miles on the two sets.

I sold the first set for half of what I paid for it after 65,000 miles.

My key to comfort is the LDComfort base layer underneath the jacket.

Just that base layer keeps me comfortable from 50-55F to 90F, above 90F I soak the sleeves of the LDComfort shirt, close all the jacket vents, open the collar and adjust the air flow through the sleeves to maintain cooling. It works for me in both low and high humidity, better in low humidity to be certain, but still effective in the near tropical Southern environment too.

I get my Klim gear through Alex at WWW.blackhillsmoto.com call him for the best prices.

Good info. I will try to find a Klim dealer down here.

Thanks everyone with the replies. I have to track down dealers for the suggestions to see how all of these fit me.

Back to the grind

Thanks everyone with the replies. I have to track down dealers for the suggestions to see how all of these fit me.

Back to the grind

Klim gear is generally "Vanity" sized - a pair of 38" pants fits 38-40, etc.... Their Jackets run the same way.

The Klim Size chart is generally accurate and allows for under layers and ingestion of a few Shrimp Po'boys along the way.

Not sure if they still make it or if it's been replaced, but the best all season jacket I've ever found is the BMW Comfort Shell. Mine's 11 years old and still going strong. It is completely waterproof (with out having to zip a liner in and out) and it breathes in hot weather. It also has front a back zips which let quite a bit of air through. On cold mornings, I layer in my Warm 'n' Safe heated liner.

I have a Rallye jacket and have been very pleased with it. I was intending to replace it with a Klim jacket but the 46-48 is massive and the 42-44 is too small (I wear a 45” jacket). The BMW is a good fit (the 56 is the equivalent to a 46” jacket). I found that BMW has a better size range and the sleeves don’t extend beyond my fingertips like the Klim did. The Klim is a top quality jacket but is no good if it does not fit. I will probably replace my worn out jacket with another BMW one, since I know their sizing and they are good quality. The armour can be changed out for another brand, but I have been quite happy with theirs; it soon moulds itself to one’s shape once it has been worn a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Rallye jacket and have been very pleased with it. I was intending to replace it with a Klim jacket but the 46-48 is massive and the 42-44 is too small (I wear a 45” jacket). The BMW is a good fit (the 56 is the equivalent to a 46” jacket). I found that BMW has a better size range and the sleeves don’t extend beyond my fingertips like the Klim did. The Klim is a top quality jacket but is no good if it does not fit. I will probably replace my worn out jacket with another BMW one, since I know their sizing and they are good quality. The armour can be changed out for another brand, but I have been quite happy with theirs; it soon moulds itself to one’s shape once it has been worn a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same problem with most jackets but I tried on the BMW this weekend and it fit well.

Not sure if they still make it or if it's been replaced, but the best all season jacket I've ever found is the BMW Comfort Shell. Mine's 11 years old and still going strong. It is completely waterproof (with out having to zip a liner in and out) and it breathes in hot weather. It also has front a back zips which let quite a bit of air through. On cold mornings, I layer in my Warm 'n' Safe heated liner.

Thanks for the advice but they are no longer made.

I received a email from BMW USA today. They have a $100 discount when you spend over $500 on BMW gear.

Awesome thanks

Klim gear is generally "Vanity" sized - a pair of 38" pants fits 38-40, etc.... Their Jackets run the same way.

The Klim Size chart is generally accurate and allows for under layers and ingestion of a few Shrimp Po'boys along the way.

You ain't never lying. I have not changed my eating habits but I have gained some weight. I am glad the parks opened up so I can start hiking again and kayaking again.

I have noticed that a lot of arms, including the Rallye jacket, have a clear pocket on the sleeve. What is that for?

I have noticed that a lot of arms, including the Rallye jacket, have a clear pocket on the sleeve. What is that for?

I imagine it would be useful for an access card for a gated community. I used to keep my military ID in a clear card holder on my vest, until the Chain of Command required physical inspection of ID cards.

I use the clear pocket on my left sleeve to hold a laminated emergency information card I created that includes critical contact information, allowing emergency responders to know who I am, where I live, and how to contact my wife.

I imagine it would be useful for an access card for a gated community. I used to keep my military ID in a clear card holder on my vest, until the Chain of Command required physical inspection of ID cards.

I use the clear pocket on my left sleeve to hold a laminated emergency information card I created that includes critical contact information, allowing emergency responders to know who I am, where I live, and how to contact my wife.

That makes sense or a map.

Back