• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Noob here.. First motorcycle should be a?

Is a 750 GS a good beginner bike?

• Total voters
I have a TW200. They are a very easy to ride bike and a hoot to ride-locally. Top speed is suggested at 55mph. Seat is iffy- even with a pad :dunno
The carb is......well, a carb. I bought a new carb and it remedied a lot of ills. The Suzuki Van-Van is for the most part a clone of the TW200 with a rudimentary fuel injection system.
OM

Where are you located? I am selling my 2018 G310GS with just 1800 miles on it and it has about $1800 worth of accessories, including upper and lower engine guards.

310gs.jpg

Please remember- commerce is restricted to the marketplace or through the PM system.

The Mod Team

See post #58 as to why some folks will not like the G310. :)

You mean other than the terrible front brake? I had the opportunity to ride one as a loaner and felt like I was going to ride right into the back of every car in front of me at stops.

You mean other than the terrible front brake? I had the opportunity to ride one as a loaner and felt like I was going to ride right into the back of every car in front of me at stops.

The loaner bike was defective. Sure, the single disk is not what a double disk setup would be, but then the weight isn't that heavy either. I have never had an issue with the brakes on the 310, but I don't tailgate either.

The loaner bike was defective. Sure, the single disk is not what a double disk setup would be, but then the weight isn't that heavy either. I have never had an issue with the brakes on the 310, but I don't tailgate either.

Funny..........I recently read a review of the HD Iron 888 which weighs 565-lbs and only has a single front disk. According to that review, the light weight of the Iron 883 allowed the single front disk to be perfectly adequate......

I was just happy in the knowledge that someone rode a Harley somewhere in the world on a given day and tried to use the front brake. Just one of those small points of light out there in the darkness.

It's the location of the rear brake pedal that I find ....... unusual. On numerous occasions, I've went to press the rear brake pedal to find the toe of my boot is well outboard of the brake pedal.

It's the location of the rear brake pedal that I find ....... unusual. On numerous occasions, I've went to press the rear brake pedal to find the toe of my boot is well outboard of the brake pedal.

Not unique to the 310. I find both the rear brake pedal and shift levers (especially the shift lever) to be too far inboard on the F700GS. I plan to add extensions.

I imagine there is a fairly large idiosyncratic factor with these “fitment” issues. The range of human physiology is quite wide. I must be a bit duck-footed....

Funny..........I recently read a review of the HD Iron 888 which weighs 565-lbs and only has a single front disk. According to that review, the light weight of the Iron 883 allowed the single front disk to be perfectly adequate......

I was just happy in the knowledge that someone rode a Harley somewhere in the world on a given day and tried to use the front brake. Just one of those small points of light out there in the darkness.

Adequate perhaps, but perfectly?

I have been riding Harleys for 15 years, and the brakes are far from "perfectly adequate". They are not terrible, adequate would probably be the right word. I use my front brake and use it often, and I admit I am hard on brakes. I am on the third set of front rotors on my 2016 Limited. I warp them in no time at all.

I don't have an issue with a single front disc, as long as it is done correctly.

Not unique to the 310. I find both the rear brake pedal and shift levers (especially the shift lever) to be too far inboard on the F700GS. I plan to add extensions.

I imagine there is a fairly large idiosyncratic factor with these “fitment” issues. The range of human physiology is quite wide. I must be a bit duck-footed....

True, every model and rider will be different. However, when you jump on the 310 everything BUT the reat brake pedal seems to be in the same place. OK, with the exception of the turn signal button(s). None of the new BMW's have them in the right place.

I am basically one year ahead of you. I took MSF in June 2019 and bought first moto in July 2019. First time rider. I went with a Honda 250, not brand new, but very low miles and still under warranty. I wanted a small bike for learning skills, but did not want to have to tinker with it mechanically. I wanted to focus on riding skills.

My plan was to ride that bike for a year. I stuck to my plan.

Almost exactly a year later, I purchased a used but low miles F700GS. I’ve had the bike for a little over a week now. It is a very nice ride, but boy am I glad it’s not my first bike.

If I had space in my garage I would keep the Honda. In many respects, it is much better suited for the local riding I do in the urban environment where I live. And it is a fantastic learning/practicing bike. It is confidence inspiring and has never been dropped. By contrast, the F700GS is much more of a handful. Haven’t dropped it, but won’t be surprised if I do someday (soon!?)

However, I can’t store two bikes, and the Honda won’t take me on the trips we have planned. So it is for sale now.

This is all by way of saying, like many others here, I would encourage you to consider a used “starter” bike. It’s a good way to get into riding without putting down huge money and without potentially damaging a nice new expensive bike. Put some time in, read the recommended Hough book(s), build your skills. Meanwhile, start giving thought to what your “next” bike should be.

Im glad I came back to this thread! I was pretty much decided on getting the 750gs. Im approved for 0% interest for 60 months and it has all the cool little bells and whistles that I want. I do have dirtbike experience but that was over 10 years ago. I'm going to hold off and if this dealer cant get me the 310gs that he supposedly ordered for me in JUNE I'll pull the trigger else where. PM me details on the honda. Im interested.

Gotta love the Groms. Great city bike, in my opinion.

The only downside to the Grom, is they make the basic rider course too easy for people that want to ride bigger and cruiser style bikes.

A lot of fun. I will eventually want one to do some very pointless mods. Like a dual sport grom or something. lmao I've seen one stretched and lowered. lol

grom.jpg

My first bike in 2008 was a 2005 BMW R1200RT. All the nay sayers told me it was too much bike for my “first bike” that I would crash and die. 160,000 miles and 12 years later, I’m still accident free. I’m still waiting for the nay sayers to admit they were wrong, hadn’t happened yet. Regardless of displacement, weight, and size, lack of discipline and training will kill you every time. Buy the bike, get trained, wear proper gear and enjoy the hell out of it and connect with fellow BMW riders in the club, no regrets!

Got the 750gs. I put a lot of thought into it. Your comment helped a lot lol thank you!

Back