View Poll Results: Is a 750 GS a good beginner bike?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

16 42.11%
  • No!

22 57.89%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Noob here.. First motorcycle should be a?

Quote Originally Posted by vark View Post
    I am basically one year ahead of you. I took MSF in June 2019 and bought first moto in July 2019. First time rider. I went with a Honda 250, not brand new, but very low miles and still under warranty. I wanted a small bike for learning skills, but did not want to have to tinker with it mechanically. I wanted to focus on riding skills.

My plan was to ride that bike for a year. I stuck to my plan.

Almost exactly a year later, I purchased a used but low miles F700GS. Iíve had the bike for a little over a week now. It is a very nice ride, but boy am I glad itís not my first bike.

If I had space in my garage I would keep the Honda. In many respects, it is much better suited for the local riding I do in the urban environment where I live. And it is a fantastic learning/practicing bike. It is confidence inspiring and has never been dropped. By contrast, the F700GS is much more of a handful. Havenít dropped it, but wonít be surprised if I do someday (soon!?)

However, I canít store two bikes, and the Honda wonít take me on the trips we have planned. So it is for sale now.

This is all by way of saying, like many others here, I would encourage you to consider a used ďstarterĒ bike. Itís a good way to get into riding without putting down huge money and without potentially damaging a nice new expensive bike. Put some time in, read the recommended Hough book(s), build your skills. Meanwhile, start giving thought to what your ďnextĒ bike should be.
    Im glad I came back to this thread! I was pretty much decided on getting the 750gs. Im approved for 0% interest for 60 months and it has all the cool little bells and whistles that I want. I do have dirtbike experience but that was over 10 years ago. I'm going to hold off and if this dealer cant get me the 310gs that he supposedly ordered for me in JUNE I'll pull the trigger else where. PM me details on the honda. Im interested.

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Gotta love the Groms. Great city bike, in my opinion.

The only downside to the Grom, is they make the basic rider course too easy for people that want to ride bigger and cruiser style bikes.
    A lot of fun. I will eventually want one to do some very pointless mods. Like a dual sport grom or something. lmao I've seen one stretched and lowered. lol

grom.jpg

Lots of people do wacky things to Groms. Great starter bike.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    My first bike in 2008 was a 2005 BMW R1200RT. All the nay sayers told me it was too much bike for my ďfirst bikeĒ that I would crash and die. 160,000 miles and 12 years later, Iím still accident free. Iím still waiting for the nay sayers to admit they were wrong, hadnít happened yet. Regardless of displacement, weight, and size, lack of discipline and training will kill you every time. Buy the bike, get trained, wear proper gear and enjoy the hell out of it and connect with fellow BMW riders in the club, no regrets!

Got the 750gs. I put a lot of thought into it. Your comment helped a lot lol thank you!

Good you found something, let us know the first time you drop it.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
    Good you found something, let us know the first time you drop it.
    Lmao 950 miles in and so far so good. Getting crash bars next week and might do a clear film to protect the paint. I brushed up against a wall when parking in an alley and almost had a heart attack. I'd be soooo pissed if I drop it 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Titos750 View Post
    Lmao 950 miles in and so far so good. Getting crash bars next week and might do a clear film to protect the paint. I brushed up against a wall when parking in an alley and almost had a heart attack. I'd be soooo pissed if I drop it 😂
    The first time you drop your new bike you are so mad at yourself that you can't look at the bike for days. But, then you realize the tiny little scratch that at first looked like the broad side of a barn is really only a few millimeters long and isn't noticeable until you get you nose right on it. And then you remember that you could have kept you bike perfect by leaving it in the garage, but that really isn't the point. You got it to ride, see the world, and collect stories to tell, and that both you and the bike will likely come back from each adventure with something to show for it. And that's exactly how it should be.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    The first time you drop your new bike you are so mad at yourself that you can't look at the bike for days. But, then you realize the tiny little scratch that at first looked like the broad side of a barn is really only a few millimeters long and isn't noticeable until you get you nose right on it. And then you remember that you could have kept you bike perfect by leaving it in the garage, but that really isn't the point. You got it to ride, see the world, and collect stories to tell, and that both you and the bike will likely come back from each adventure with something to show for it. And that's exactly how it should be.
    That brought a tear to my eye. Jkjk

I love the way you see it. Can't wait to drop it now! Lmao na I get it. Used to be that way riding my dirt bike. In a sense it adds character lol

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Titos750 View Post
    That brought a tear to my eye. Jkjk

I love the way you see it. Can't wait to drop it now! Lmao na I get it. Used to be that way riding my dirt bike. In a sense it adds character lol
    Wait until you see how quick a new helmet goes looking for the asphalt
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

This is one of my tank guards, how many times do you think this bike has taken a nap?