View Poll Results: Is a 750 GS a good beginner bike?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

    16 42.11%
  • No!

    22 57.89%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 85

Thread: Noob here.. First motorcycle should be a?

  1. #61
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    6,632
    Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    Paul - don't say things like this when a I have a mouth full of coffee!
    Somebody is missing their calling as a press secretary.........

    Quick, get that blonde wig and 4" heels
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

  2. #62
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    15,501
    I have a TW200. They are a very easy to ride bike and a hoot to ride-locally. Top speed is suggested at 55mph. Seat is iffy- even with a pad
    The carb is......well, a carb. I bought a new carb and it remedied a lot of ills. The Suzuki Van-Van is for the most part a clone of the TW200 with a rudimentary fuel injection system.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  3. #63
    skibum69 skibum69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    New Melbourne, NL
    Posts
    2,266
    The big tires are great for the ATV trails around here. I like the TW more than the Van Van.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

  4. #64
    Where are you located? I am selling my 2018 G310GS with just 1800 miles on it and it has about $1800 worth of accessories, including upper and lower engine guards.

    310gs.jpg

  5. #65
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    15,501
    Please remember- commerce is restricted to the marketplace or through the PM system.

    The Mod Team
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  6. #66
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    6,632
    Quote Originally Posted by 310JEN View Post
    So, why is it time to move on? Were you the new rider and the starter bike needs to grow?
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    So, why is it time to move on? Were you the new rider and the starter bike needs to grow?
    See post #58 as to why some folks will not like the G310.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  8. #68
    Registered User r0ckrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    See post #58 as to why some folks will not like the G310.
    You mean other than the terrible front brake? I had the opportunity to ride one as a loaner and felt like I was going to ride right into the back of every car in front of me at stops.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by r0ckrat View Post
    You mean other than the terrible front brake? I had the opportunity to ride one as a loaner and felt like I was going to ride right into the back of every car in front of me at stops.
    The loaner bike was defective. Sure, the single disk is not what a double disk setup would be, but then the weight isn't that heavy either. I have never had an issue with the brakes on the 310, but I don't tailgate either.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  10. #70
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    6,632
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    The loaner bike was defective. Sure, the single disk is not what a double disk setup would be, but then the weight isn't that heavy either. I have never had an issue with the brakes on the 310, but I don't tailgate either.
    Funny..........I recently read a review of the HD Iron 888 which weighs 565-lbs and only has a single front disk. According to that review, the light weight of the Iron 883 allowed the single front disk to be perfectly adequate......

    I was just happy in the knowledge that someone rode a Harley somewhere in the world on a given day and tried to use the front brake. Just one of those small points of light out there in the darkness.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

  11. #71
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    6,632
    Quote Originally Posted by r0ckrat View Post
    You mean other than the terrible front brake? I had the opportunity to ride one as a loaner and felt like I was going to ride right into the back of every car in front of me at stops.
    It's the location of the rear brake pedal that I find ....... unusual. On numerous occasions, I've went to press the rear brake pedal to find the toe of my boot is well outboard of the brake pedal.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

  12. #72
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Metro Washington, DC
    Posts
    633
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    It's the location of the rear brake pedal that I find ....... unusual. On numerous occasions, I've went to press the rear brake pedal to find the toe of my boot is well outboard of the brake pedal.
    Not unique to the 310. I find both the rear brake pedal and shift levers (especially the shift lever) to be too far inboard on the F700GS. I plan to add extensions.

    I imagine there is a fairly large idiosyncratic factor with these “fitment” issues. The range of human physiology is quite wide. I must be a bit duck-footed....

  13. #73
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    889
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Funny..........I recently read a review of the HD Iron 888 which weighs 565-lbs and only has a single front disk. According to that review, the light weight of the Iron 883 allowed the single front disk to be perfectly adequate......

    I was just happy in the knowledge that someone rode a Harley somewhere in the world on a given day and tried to use the front brake. Just one of those small points of light out there in the darkness.

    Adequate perhaps, but perfectly?

    I have been riding Harleys for 15 years, and the brakes are far from "perfectly adequate". They are not terrible, adequate would probably be the right word. I use my front brake and use it often, and I admit I am hard on brakes. I am on the third set of front rotors on my 2016 Limited. I warp them in no time at all.

    I don't have an issue with a single front disc, as long as it is done correctly.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

  14. #74
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    6,632
    Quote Originally Posted by vark View Post
    Not unique to the 310. I find both the rear brake pedal and shift levers (especially the shift lever) to be too far inboard on the F700GS. I plan to add extensions.

    I imagine there is a fairly large idiosyncratic factor with these “fitment” issues. The range of human physiology is quite wide. I must be a bit duck-footed....
    True, every model and rider will be different. However, when you jump on the 310 everything BUT the reat brake pedal seems to be in the same place. OK, with the exception of the turn signal button(s). None of the new BMW's have them in the right place.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by 310JEN View Post
    Where are you located? I am selling my 2018 G310GS with just 1800 miles on it and it has about $1800 worth of accessories, including upper and lower engine guards.

    310gs.jpg
    interested. I just pmed you.

Similar Threads

  1. Hello, from noob in MT
    By chuckstahk in forum New Members
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-23-2012, 06:58 PM
  2. NOOB in AZ
    By cliffie1946 in forum New Members
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-12-2012, 07:06 PM
  3. Noob - again!
    By Retarded Jarhead in forum New Members
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-05-2011, 03:36 PM
  4. nOOb needs help
    By mcover in forum Wedge K-bikes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-23-2010, 02:55 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •