Thread: Sparkplug wire question...

Sparkplug wire question...

Guys, is there any way to know if your spark plug wires need replacement?
    My 94 r100rt has about 75K on it. Runs OK but I'm wondering if I should replace them as preventative maint?

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemertom
    My 94 r100rt has about 75K on it. Runs OK but I'm wondering if I should replace them as preventative maint?
    If the bike seems to run normally, then no. You can measure those wires to read about 5K ohms from end to end...and infininite ohms from either end to the metal ground clampy portion.
    Then it should be fine. They can always break down under high voltage, but that would probably show up in the running and in the rain especially.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Quote Originally Posted by Beemertom
    Sure. If the bike starts and runs, have your wife, girlfriend, neighbor's kid, nosey neighbor, whoever, grap ahold of one of the plug wires. If they get shocked, then the wires need replacement. If not, have them grab the other one. If they don't get shocked by either wire, then the wires are fine.
    Click here for Tales of Motorcycles and Life
    - BMW MOA Lifetime Member #18854

You might want to replace if you notice significant cracks in the rubber sheathing. One might only develop problems in wet weather, which is not a good time to have to come up with a fix. If they are more that several years old, why not replace them for peace of mind.

Dave H
    San Antonio, TX

Or to put it another way, give the old wires a good thorough hosing-down at one of those coin-op carwashes. If you have trouble starting afterward, replace the wires.
    2012 R1200GS
    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad
    http://www.thethingaboutcars.com/

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    You can also try starting the bike at night and observing the wires in the dark. You should not see any arcs, sparks, or blue glow. Did that on a guy's truck that was running poorly. Saw the "light", changed the wires, life was better.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, WI Airmarshal
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep

Having been caught in the rain and the bike dying, I threw a small can of
    WD-40 in the tool kit, and don'cha know, I got caught in another heavy rain before I could replace the wires. Bike died. Out came the WD-40, meanwhile a pick up stopped to ask if I needed help, but I said no, then when he left, I realized I was in the middle of a state forest, and how stupid was I.... but the WD-40 worked right away, and the bike fired up.