• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My First BMW

No stand required once all straps are tightened. The straps will keep the bike vertical. The only thing having a stand down can do is damage something. You can use the side-stand to get straps in place, but as soon as you start putting any tension on the off-side strap you will want to raise the stand. Since you have a chock for the front wheel, a stand shouldn't be required at all. Roll it into the chock, strap front and tighten (take up at least 1/2 the travel if not all you can possibly get), strap rear by sub-frame (near passenger pegs) and again, take up as much suspension travel as possible.

If a stand is down, and the bike bounces at all, that shock is traveling straight into the attachment point of the stand with no give.

What this guy said.......

What this guy said.......

Copy all that.

In this case with the rear wheel blocked up load on the stand was minimal, but the warnings about potential complications are duly noted. I truly appreciate the advice and will avoid using the stands when trailering in the future. Thanks.

The real BMW experience occurs with the boxer twins ... and the R1200GS is far and away BMW’s biggest seller and BMW has produced boxer twins continuously since 1923.

Other models fill other niches and price points and are fine and attract those with other interests and financial positions. It’s only in the 21st century that BMW has produced bikes with chain or belt drives.

The real BMW experience occurs with the boxer twins ... and the R1200GS is far and away BMW’s biggest seller and BMW has produced boxer twins continuously since 1923.

Other models fill other niches and price points and are fine and attract those with other interests and financial positions. It’s only in the 21st century that BMW has produced bikes with chain or belt drives.

Some consumers get very invested in brand loyalty and cult-culture, but I don’t buy into marketing hype like “[t]he real BMW experience...” It’s just a mass-produced motorcycle, nothing special. And that boxer twin may be your favorite thing since sliced bread, but it holds little appeal to me.

I’d love to see BMW bring back a modernized K75 with the in-line triple. Until that happens I prefer the parallel twin option. And if BMW is still sourcing them from china when it’s time to replace this F700GS, I’ll look elsewhere. But I’m hoping to keep this low-miles Rotax engine going for the long haul. I guess we’ll see.

Didn't notice we missed the experience for 32 years when we owned K bikes.

Vark, ride what you enjoy, not what other people like.

Thanks. And thanks to you and a handful of other owners here who went above and beyond sharing lots of valuable experience and info with me this past year while I was trying to figure out which direction to go. It was very helpful being able to tap into the knowledge base here.

On a bright note, I was able to snag a DMV cancellation this morning - - so the bike is now fully registered, titled, and insured! The only hurdle remaining to be legal is the safety inspection. Hopefully in a day or two...

Didn't notice we missed the experience for 32 years when we owned K bikes.

Vark, ride what you enjoy, not what other people like.

I have heard people who have one idea of what constitutes a "BMW motorcycle" over the years decrying something new and different from BMW as "not a real BMW" for decades. In 1972 I was a kid when I started at the Yamaha/BMW bike shop and many of the /2 riders would turn their noses up at the /5's with it's "plastic fender" (really fiberglass) as proof BMW was going to hell. Then again in 1985 when BMW introduced the K100 to the US - it was just a Japanese clone and BMW was surely going to hell now. Besides - K-Bikes had no soul - having sold it to the devil. And then again when the first R1100RS Oilhead was introduced, and then came the chains and belts and so on.

I do agree that the boxer twin is the signature BMW engine design - you can't get it anywhere else. Engines have characteristics which some think give a motorcycle a personality - the vibration type and intensity, the exhaust note sound, power band characteristics, etc. BMW is the boxer, Harley is the V-Twin, Moto Guzzi is the transverse V-Twin - and they all are "the best" for their fans. The BMW boxer twin is their biggest selling configuration, primarily due to the massive popularity of adventure riding. My first BMW was a new R60/5, and I still have the R75/5 which replaced it after an unfortunate dispute over some space in an intersection with a Mercury Comet many years ago. :brow And, I was anti-K-Bike for many years - until I bought my first one - and now I have four of them. Just as there is no single "correct" shoe size everyone should were, there is no bike which is perfect for everyone. Get what fit's you. But, do explore - it's fun and educational.

I have heard people who have one idea of what constitutes a "BMW motorcycle" over the years decrying something new and different from BMW as "not a real BMW" for decades. In 1972 I was a kid when I started at the Yamaha/BMW bike shop and many of the /2 riders would turn their noses up at the /5's with it's "plastic fender" (really fiberglass) as proof BMW was going to hell. Then again in 1985 when BMW introduced the K100 to the US - it was just a Japanese clone and BMW was surely going to hell now. Besides - K-Bikes had no soul - having sold it to the devil. And then again when the first R1100RS Oilhead was introduced, and then came the chains and belts and so on.

I do agree that the boxer twin is the signature BMW engine design - you can't get it anywhere else. Engines have characteristics which some think give a motorcycle a personality - the vibration type and intensity, the exhaust note sound, power band characteristics, etc. BMW is the boxer, Harley is the V-Twin, Moto Guzzi is the transverse V-Twin - and they all are "the best" for their fans. The BMW boxer twin is their biggest selling configuration, primarily due to the massive popularity of adventure riding. My first BMW was a new R60/5, and I still have the R75/5 which replaced it after an unfortunate dispute over some space in an intersection with a Mercury Comet many years ago. :brow And, I was anti-K-Bike for many years - until I bought my first one - and now I have four of them. Just as there is no single "correct" shoe size everyone should were, there is no bike which is perfect for everyone. Get what fit's you. But, do explore - it's fun and educational.

Have you forgotten the mighty Ural? ;)

Have you forgotten the mighty Ural? ;)

Being a copy how can it be signiture.

He who talks to sheep...........should have said.........."you can't get it anywhere else, anymore" There's lots of boxers with more cylinders, on the road and in the air.

Being a copy how can it be signiture.

He who talks to sheep...........should have said.........."you can't get it anywhere else, anymore" There's lots of boxers with more cylinders, on the road and in the air.

Again, some mighty fine nit pickin' but I would have better said "boxer twin". Only one other boxer motorcycle.

Congratulations Vark!

Excellent choice, and glad you went with BMW, you will not be disappointed, your research and patience paid off. You did what I suggest to a lot of folks contemplating buying a bike/BMW... which is to join the club and use its resources to make an informed purchase decision. Hope to meet you someday down the road Vark.

Excellent choice, and glad you went with BMW, you will not be disappointed, your research and patience paid off. You did what I suggest to a lot of folks contemplating buying a bike/BMW... which is to join the club and use its resources to make an informed purchase decision. Hope to meet you someday down the road Vark.

Thank you for the kind words.

I snuck out and got the bike safety inspected today. Now completely road legal. :dance

Took the long way home and added 14 miles to the odo, but never got out of 3rd gear. (Hey, I live in an urban area with low speed limits and it takes about an hour to cover 14 miles!)

Wow! Compared to my 250, this thing has some serious grunt. It's going to take some getting used to the extra power and weight. But overall I was very pleased with how nicely balanced this bike is. Just need to keep practicing.:thumb

Back