• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Alpha 3 ignition question

stevenrankin

Has anyone installed the Alpha V3 ignition system on their pre 79 airhead? If so, how do you like it? How hard was it to install?

I want to upgrade my 78RS ignition system. St.

Lots of past threads in the Similar Threads pane at the bottom of the screen. I know Snowbum has written about it on his website.

Alpha

Has anyone installed the Alpha V3 ignition system on their pre 79 airhead? If so, how do you like it? How hard was it to install?

I want to upgrade my 78RS ignition system. St.

I installed one on my '74 R90s about two years ago. It's a pretty easy process.

I can't say it runs any better except that my original advance mechanism was wearing out (inconsistent points gap), as my bike has 140k, so that was a factor.

So far, zero issues. Set the timing and forget it. Very well made components IMHO and unlike the Dyna III units, the advance is done electronically, so no need to mount your original, mechanical advance unit. ( I tried a Dyna years ago and had nothing but problems with it )

Nice feature is that I'm not removing the front cover every year to check/replace the points and set the timing.

RPGR90s

Omega

When I looked up Omega, it seems the company has changed hands or something. A couple of the links on Anton's site are gone. FYI, St.

Omega

The only good thing to say about the Omega is that when it died I was close to home. Don't think the module did well with the engine heat inside the front cover. I went back to points in the parking lot (which was easy). Installed an Alpha and the only thing I have ever done was to check the timing a couple of times. It is spot on. The module mounts to the frame in front of the tool tray, which means it is cool. A big plus is the personal attention you get from Rick.

Back