• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

tool kit

The tool kit under the seat of my R1100S is pretty impressive, especially the tire repair kit. There are more tools underneath the top set.
IMG_3301_heic-L.jpg

The tool kit under the seat of my R1100S is pretty impressive, especially the tire repair kit. There are more tools underneath the top set.
IMG_3301_heic-L.jpg

But, that was back when BMW actually believed that an owner should be capable of doing certain things like removing a wheel, for example. Now they give you a Torx to fit something and a screwdriver to pop the top off a nice cold one, I guess.

did a 2012 gt have a tool kit? All i find is a screwdriver by the battery

Probably have to wait until another owner of a ‘12 comes by. The OEM tool kit is nice to have keeping the bike original.
I’m not sure how much can actually be done out on the road. The newer bikes seem to be needing computer access and a specialized tool assortment.
There are some nice “tool” threads accessible through the “Tag Cloud” down on the lower left of the page.
OM

I bought a replacement OEM tool kit for my R65LS from Bob's BMW as my bike didn't have it from long before I owned it.

The tool kit that came with my KTM 640 Adventure was really good too with good quality tools. The 525 tool kit was only a short step behind. The KTM bottle opener/wrench is a highly coveted piece of kit.

Unior tools
IMG_3502_heic-L.jpg

BMW probably figures there's too much electronics to let anyone do their own work. Thanks for dumbing it down too much!

Many of the new BMWs come with a faux tool kit consisting of a Torx wrench, to give you the impression you have tools on board, and a screwdriver whose real sole purpose is to unscrew the oil filler cap so the owner can top up on the road. The REAL toolkit BMW intends you to use is self-installed and consists of a cell phone and credit card.

Remember when the bikes came with tire plugging tools and CO2 cartridges?

:banghead

DeVern

The "anti-tool kit".

From the first BMW bike I ever owned, I have been collecting tools and keeping them, allowing me to make my own. BMW wants you to "Take it to your nearest BMW Retailer; (remember, we are not allowed to call them "dealers" any more.) With the 1600, Allen heads have been replaced by star/torex fasteners. There are also aftermarket kits which are not bad, though a little pricey. At a minimum, I would carry 8/9/10/13/14/15 mm wrenches, the factory screw driver, vice grips, wire, duct tape, zip ties and a tyre kit. Best to you and many good miles!

Put your own tool kit together...

Over the years I've put together a tool kit for each of our bikes.

The 02 K1200RS came with a tool kit and a place to carry it.

Although the tools in the OEM K12RS kit were sufficient to change out a front or rear wheel, I replaced most of those pieces with either Craftsman or SnapOn.

Our 2016 R1200RS has no real tool kit. When it was time to put on new tires, I pulled the wheels off, took note which tools were needed and then put together a kit with a few wrenches added.

Same for our 2019 K1600GT Sport.

Both our K1600 and K1200 tool kits fit under the rear seat.

I also carry a StopNGo tire repair kit, augmented with ropes and glue, and a small 12-volt pump.

Recently, after a battery scare, I've added a battery pack that will jump start most bikes and small cars.

Be prepared!

Back