• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Not good news for Garmin users

I just texted the article to my commander, and some standardization and maintenance personnel. Our current database in our military aircraft goes till August 13th beyond that we can’t fly instruments nor can the airlines.

Hmm... I wonder if there are any Federal laws pertaining to individuals or entities attacking the military or the airlines... hmmm

I think these hackers are going to get SWATted soon (probably the reason why Garmin is tight lipped on the solution.)

Information systems are known targets for cyber crime. Sadly, who the "real" criminals are is now the subject of political identity.

I just texted the article to my commander, and some standardization and maintenance personnel. Our current database in our military aircraft goes till August 13th beyond that we can’t fly instruments nor can the airlines.

Hmm... I wonder if there are any Federal laws pertaining to individuals or entities attacking the military or the airlines... hmmm

I think these hackers are going to get SWATted soon (probably the reason why Garmin is tight lipped on the solution.)

I think 18 USC Section 875(d) might be applicable Reece:

"Whoever, with intent to extort from any person, firm, association, or corporation, any money or other thing of value, transmits in interstate or foreign commerce any communication containing any threat to injure the property or reputation of the addressee or of another or the reputation of a deceased person or any threat to accuse the addressee or any other person of a crime, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

I think 18 USC Section 875(d) might be applicable Reece:

"Whoever, with intent to extort from any person, firm, association, or corporation, any money or other thing of value, transmits in interstate or foreign commerce any communication containing any threat to injure the property or reputation of the addressee or of another or the reputation of a deceased person or any threat to accuse the addressee or any other person of a crime, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

Ya gonna file those charges with which district magistrate in Russia, Syria or Iran?

Ya gonna file those charges with which district magistrate in Russia, Syria or Iran?

Exactly the problem. It is extremely difficult to identify hackers, and when possible they are almost (not always) out of reach - especially if they are working for bad actor nation states. I don't know if Garman falls into some kind of national security context which might bring more resources to bear then they can muster, but even so this is another case of the dangers of relying on any cloud based services because so many organizations seem susceptible to attack.

Exactly the problem. It is extremely difficult to identify hackers, and when possible they are almost (not always) out of reach - especially if they are working for bad actor nation states. I don't know if Garman falls into some kind of national security context which might bring more resources to bear then they can muster, but even so this is another case of the dangers of relying on any cloud based services because so many organizations seem susceptible to attack.

Cloud based or web connected. Given an opportunity, the hackers will exploit it. It's how they make their money.

Seriously, web-based software isn't the answer for a lot of things.

I buy my GPSs used, usually on eBay or elsewhere on the web. I almost never bother to update them because updating does next to nothing advantageous for how I usually use them. I want routing from Texas to Seattle or some such, or simply want to track my progress toward a waypoint in time and distance. I almost never, ever, need information for a place in a new subdivision so map updates are usually more trouble than they are worth.

Most of the time Garmin no longer supports what is a perfectly fine usable GPS for me. I had the latest and greatest back in the 1990s with my IIIplus and V. I have been a few models behind ever since. Our Zumo 660s serve our purposes quite well. They are navigation tools.

I use Mapsource to save, store, and upload and download waypoints. I don't do routing other than to a waypoint and maybe one or two via points. I have never used BaseCamp and don't need or want the anguish.

Points of interest are somewhat out of date but generally Google Maps works fine for finding motels and restaurants and other things and Gas Buddy finds gas stations and their recent prices. And since I usually pay a few tens of dollars to buy one, when one needs to be upgraded I'm not out much.

The bummer about this attack is that it also took out the traffic and weather portions on my Smartlink-enabled GPS (which pulls data from my phone), I could have used it the other day to circumnavigate some nasty traffic...

Download the “Waze” app on your phone.
It’s free and users contribute so you can chose the best route based on real time data (traffic / cops / roadblocks / construction etc).

Download the “Waze” app on your phone.
It’s free and users contribute so you can chose the best route based on real time data (traffic / cops / roadblocks / construction etc).

Someday, that will get whacked, too.

Back a bunch of years ago our local adventure riding forum was hacked. It took x number of months for the owner to get past it and he had to rebuild the whole site. A few senior members left and new folks came in but it has never been the same by a long shot.

Our local club had a major breach which I discovered, rearranged, reset, cleaned out and reset the initial login security question.
They were unhappy with my choice for the security question.
I gave up :banghead
OM

Our local club had a major breach which I discovered, rearranged, reset, cleaned out and reset the initial login security question.
They were unhappy with my choice for the security question.
I gave up :banghead
OM

Must have been a good one! Will you share it?

I buy my GPSs used, usually on eBay or elsewhere on the web. I almost never bother to update them because updating does next to nothing advantageous for how I usually use them. I want routing from Texas to Seattle or some such, or simply want to track my progress toward a waypoint in time and distance. I almost never, ever, need information for a place in a new subdivision so map updates are usually more trouble than they are worth.

Most of the time Garmin no longer supports what is a perfectly fine usable GPS for me. I had the latest and greatest back in the 1990s with my IIIplus and V. I have been a few models behind ever since. Our Zumo 660s serve our purposes quite well. They are navigation tools.

I use Mapsource to save, store, and upload and download waypoints. I don't do routing other than to a waypoint and maybe one or two via points. I have never used BaseCamp and don't need or want the anguish.

Points of interest are somewhat out of date but generally Google Maps works fine for finding motels and restaurants and other things and Gas Buddy finds gas stations and their recent prices. And since I usually pay a few tens of dollars to buy one, when one needs to be upgraded I'm not out much.

I concur about purchasing a used GPS. I got a Nuvi 1450LM from eBay about six weeks ago for $35. It comes with lifetime map updates which only required I plug it into my computer and run Garmin Base Camp or the Web Updater. It fits the dedicated Nuvi RAM mount I got some years ago and the touch screen works with gloves.

Back