• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Dumb transmission question

Yes, same. Would avoid syn on older models as often seals start weeping. 75-90 Dino fine.

Some folks run 140 in tranny , but not needed... unless you want to:whistle

I've got some Swepco 201 80/90 that I use in my 944 track car. Should be ok for a legal speeds machine.

New washers on the way.

Thanks.

Some manufacturers sell a separate version of their gear oils for limited slip differentials. At the flaps it appears others feel only one version is necessary. Personally I wouldn’t use an oil with limited slip additives, but don’t really know the details of the downside if there are any.

Some manufacturers sell a separate version of their gear oils for limited slip differentials. At the flaps it appears others feel only one version is necessary. Personally I wouldn’t use an oil with limited slip additives, but don’t really know the details of the downside if there are any.

For almost 20 years Castrol sold an 80W90 GL5 rated gear oil known as "Castrol Hypoy C". I have used it since at least the '90s. It was Tom Cutter's recommended gear oil. About 3 or maybe 4 years ago they changed the name to "Castrol Limited-Slip." I was told by Tom Cutter that it is the same formulation and he still recommends it due to its high sulfur content. He said that it is the same - they just changed the name for marketing reasons. I still use it.

Marketing can be funny. My favorite is "synthetic" brake fluid. Does anybody know a brand that isn't synthetic?

Marketing can be funny. My favorite is "synthetic" brake fluid. Does anybody know a brand that isn't synthetic?

Seeing as the OP's question has been answered.....

A few years ago the local racer boys were all amped up on blue "racing" brake fluid and if you didn't use it you were considered inferior and not to be trusted. A little research showed it was DOT 4 with blue dye. Some things make you.... :banghead

Seeing as the OP's question has been answered.....

A few years ago the local racer boys were all amped up on blue "racing" brake fluid and if you didn't use it you were considered inferior and not to be trusted. A little research showed it was DOT 4 with blue dye. Some things make you.... :banghead

The value in the blue brake fluid is that you could tell when you have bled it all out. You run blue for a few months and then replace it with the yellow one for a few months. Then repeat.

It supposedly has a higher boiling point. I never boiled my fluid on track but still changed it to comply with club rules.

They stopped making it blue because if you were in a crash on the highway the emergency workers didn't know whether it was brake or washer fluid. (So I hear)

The Swepco is blue as well. No idea why though.

It was super convenient. Now it's guesswork. But we press on in the motorsports community against adversity.

Many people let their yellow fluid get brown - or even chocolate milk colored. Then they change it and can tell when the new pale yellow fluid arrives at the bleed valve, no blue fluid required. :banghead

Many people let their yellow fluid get brown - or even chocolate milk colored. Then they change it and can tell when the new pale yellow fluid arrives at the bleed valve, no blue fluid required. :banghead

Yeah. I've seen plenty of brake fluid reservoirs that looked like they had black coffee in them.

Back