• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Crusty Crusty Crusty!

69zeff65

I did see some Red paint under the crust. Can anyone tell me the brand of saddle bags and top case my latest rescue has?

Attachments

• Crusty gs 5.JPG
    Crusty gs 5.JPG
    362.6 KB · Views: 214
  • Crusty gs 6.JPG
    Crusty gs 6.JPG
    367 KB · Views: 214
  • Crusty gs 4.JPG
    Crusty gs 4.JPG
    286 KB · Views: 213
  • Crusty gs 3.JPG
    Crusty gs 3.JPG
    207.4 KB · Views: 212
  • Crusty gs 2.JPG
    Crusty gs 2.JPG
    237.1 KB · Views: 212
  • crusty gs 1.JPG
    crusty gs 1.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 211
That looks like a Jim Von Baden Special. :D

Sorry I can't help you with the luggage; Touratech? But someone will chime in.

Thank you Paul

That's a big help, the mounting system is pretty complex but it's coming off. That top case with a little tool box on the base is so heavy it cracked the bikes aluminum tail rack good thing I have a spare now if I can just find it. I got the gas tank off and checked the fuel pump operation and was pleasantly surprised to find it working with good pressure. Off course after sitting for over five years the tank liner is peeling and the fuel plumbing is soft as butter. I have a spare GS tank (easy to spot) so I'll clean up the fuel plate and fit some new hoses on it, I think I'll relocate the filter on the outside of the gas tank at least for the time being. The brakes are kinda screwed on it, front brake won't pull so that explains why the calipers were off and tie wrapped to the tip over bars. The rear brake works fine. I'm going to try and rescue the ABS system on it and go with some stainless steel brake lines but that is a bit off in the future. First order of business is to get it fired (OOPS that's a bad thought) running and take it out for a run through the gears to make sure I'm not digging a money pit. I still have to finish the Barn Bike, Rat Ride and a few other pending projects before I get carried away with this one, I need a bigger shop and bank account.

Attachments

• IMG_3074 (720x960).jpg
    IMG_3074 (720x960).jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 201
  • reassembly4.JPG
    reassembly4.JPG
    271.4 KB · Views: 201
  • Rat ride 3.JPG
    Rat ride 3.JPG
    391.4 KB · Views: 200
I admire the fact you rescue and give life to these motorcycles. I am not a mechanical genius so when I see these machines I am overwhelmed. I would not even know where to start. Hats off to you Zeff.

Its alive!

Got Ole Crusty fired up today, not to much effort other than my first attempt to use the original fuel pump and having to drain the gas when that didn't work out. It worked fine outside the tank and in a bucket of gas but not in the tank. I did find I may need another roll or two of Tesa tape, all that wire wrap is just a mess.

It ran on one cylinder on the initial startup and I'm getting no squirt out of the injector on the sleeping side so I'll drop the injectors off at the Injector Man's shop to have them cleaned or given last rights. Meanwhile I'm pulling off the Jesse bags and mounts along with the Areoflow windshield and going back to stock, they will go on the Market place after I evaluate them for any damage. I do plan on sending the HES up to GSAddict for a freshening up as I'm sure that is just as crusty as everything else.

Meanwhile I have the Barn Bike paint work complete and have the pinstripes scheduled for next week, two gas tanks (small & large), two front fenders (stock & sport) and the rear fender should take an afternoon and hopefully not an arm and a leg.

Attachments

• reassembly3.JPG
    reassembly3.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 122
  • reassembly2.JPG
    reassembly2.JPG
    262.9 KB · Views: 120
Off with the old!

I'm going back to bone stock with this rescue. The bags are pretty heavy and the brackets are almost as heavy. The top box has the little tool box attached underneath, it is so heavy it cracked the stock tail rack. Good thing I have a spare and found a new spare on that obnoxious bidding site to replace my spare. I really prefer the stock look of the windshield over the AeroFlow also. Does Aeroflow still make motorcycle products? No spare for that so I will more than likely get a new one (no scratches or cracks) from my local dealer, better Bring My Wallet.

Attachments

• collection 1.JPG
    collection 1.JPG
    346.2 KB · Views: 72
  • collection open.JPG
    collection open.JPG
    323.3 KB · Views: 72
Back