• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Navigator 6: Tracker Feature. Discontinued?

masupert

sup909
Anyone know how to use the tracker feature on the Nav6? The manual seems very vague and suggests to download the “Tracker App”. That app has a link on Garmin’s website, but isn’t available to download in the iOS or Google app stores.

Last edited:
I think you need to download the Garmin Smartlink App, link to your phone and you set up the tracking from the App.
94022a555a6615d9537b1ef879f13b6c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone know how to use the tracker feature on the Nav6? The manual seems very vague and suggests to download the “Tracker App”. That app has a link on Garmin’s website, but isn’t a subtle to download in the iOS or Google app stores.
I couldn't get it to work so I phoned Garmin's support dept. Surprisingly they told me that their Tracker app was still a work in progress and not really capable of providing tracking info to, for example, my wife at home. That was about two years ago and my understanding is that there's been no further development. Deep in the ADVrider forum there's a thread about this subject and there too no one seems to have made it work.

I was hoping Garmin's Tracker app on my Nav VI could replace my SPOT device but so far, no dice.

You might also try the ROADiD App. It’s by the company that sells the ROAD ID emergency tags and it allows you to send tracking info and if you stop for over 5 minutes (possible crash) it will send an alert if you don’t respond that you are OK.
592d3c63296bea23f81278d6afa22acf.jpg

The only downside like other phone apps is if no cell signal it can’t send data unlike an InReach or Spot.

c3420e2a123cd0ef74961e69daf44a38.jpg

I think you need to download the Garmin Smartlink App, link to your phone and you set up the tracking from the App.
94022a555a6615d9537b1ef879f13b6c.jpg

Interesting. My Smartlink App does not have that LiveTrack icon.

Attachments

• 6C4E495E-3B8E-40BB-BA76-BD031220783A_1_102_o.jpg
    6C4E495E-3B8E-40BB-BA76-BD031220783A_1_102_o.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 951
Could it be on page 2? (Swipe left)

With my Zumo 595, Live Tracking has only worked once in about a dozen attempts. The failures may or may not provide an error message. Sometimes there is no error, but no tracking link appears. The few error messages provided usually indicate a server problem. It's not a feature I would rely on. Since it's been erratic for at least four years, I guess Garmin does not see it as a priority.

The wife tracks me using the “Life360” app on my smartphone. We have found it quite effective, and yes, I have the NAV VI with the Garmin Smarlink App, and have successfully used the tracking feature in the past, it simply has been usurped by other tracking apps.

Fun fact: My Apple Watch will send an alert to the Mrs. if it detects an “impact”. Lots of good tracking technology out there to play with.

Areas with no cellular signal - how to reliably send tracking? That's why the interest in a GPS based tracking app.

Areas with no cellular signal - how to reliably send tracking? That's why the interest in a GPS based tracking app.

Are you talking about tracking your route or sending location to others for tracking? Unless you are using a satellite based tracker like an InReach or Spot even with GPS being able to track location you will not be able to send that location without a cell signal. Most GPS can store a track and many phone tracking apps can store a track even without cell signal although they may not be able to display it on a map.

That is why I have always advocated the use of a satellite tracker (InReach or Spot) or some sort of emergency beacon device if you will be off grid or in a location where cell signal is weak or limited. It surprising how some of the locations many would not consider off grid have weak or no cell phone signal. Sometimes that depends on your carrier but other times it’s just a matter of your location (hills and valleys) and distance from any cell towers.

Got an email this morning from Garmin announcing their new Montana 700i which includes inReach technology - presumably a tracking component.

Back